X2:The Threat mods / modding ???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NagaDrag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: X2:The Threat mods / modding ??? Reply with quote

I just have a few quick questions about X2:The Threat for linux

Are there any mods out, such as new ships or weapons or etc?

I also assume that the Bonus Pack is installed with the LGP Update tool (updating the game to version 1.4.06 I think it was), am I right?

How would one get mods to work, if there are any, with the X2 version for linux?

Last edited by NagaDrag on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
redpenguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plentiful mods for this game, just go over to the official forum, and read the sticky under X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding subforum. As for the bonus scripts, they should be installed automatically if you have the GNU/Linux version, as far as I know. Not so sure what does LGP Update Tool help you with there.
Now, getting the mods to actually work under GNU/Linux is a bit tricky. I answered to someone on this thread already (is it you by any chance?).
I hope this helps :)
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please change the topic - it's Threat not "treat" 8O

See enabling the script editor ("Thereshallbewings").
NagaDrag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redpenguin wrote:
There are plentiful mods for this game, just go over to the official forum, and read the sticky under X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding subforum. As for the bonus scripts, they should be installed automatically if you have the GNU/Linux version, as far as I know. Not so sure what does LGP Update Tool help you with there.
Now, getting the mods to actually work under GNU/Linux is a bit tricky. I answered to someone on this thread already (is it you by any chance?).
I hope this helps :)

So getting the mods/ scripts to work, I have to place the cat/dat files in ~/.lgp/x2 with an appropriate paired number (such as 5.dat and 5.cat as used in the thread), and any other proper directories in there as well

What I got confused on is the whole 'init scripts' and 'setup scripts' bit ..... I get that you have to remove stuff from init scripts, but I got confused as to how you get the proper things to edit out, and if it is also persistant in setup scripts? Is it via using the editor as the post above suggested?
redpenguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either edit those files (via hand), or use the built-in script editor. I used the first method (less work, since in the second case you must remove those scripts, after the game starts move them back, then reinitialize the script cache). It's not that hard, but you must be careful when you do it.
NagaDrag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redpenguin wrote:
You can either edit those files (via hand), or use the built-in script editor. I used the first method (less work, since in the second case you must remove those scripts, after the game starts move them back, then reinitialize the script cache). It's not that hard, but you must be careful when you do it.

but HOW do you figure out what's crashing what?

Im about to test out a few scripts and such, named as following:

XTM-7a1 (Not to watch out for this mod, it is in deed for X3, and was put in the wrong forum)
D-ships, ships only
D-ships&Stations, with custom map
FlagShip mod
Genesis
NeoTex-mod
V-1.0-Load Screens
X2 Crosshairs
sector takeover
Top Gun
redpenguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two mods. One worked, the other didn't. I compared their init scripts. I found out they differ in the wait instruction. Then I made an init script of my own, with only that instruction. It crashed. Removed it from the crashing mod, rerun it, it works. Trust me, I tested this extensively, it's the only thing causing problems :) (all the wait-like instructions, there are 2 in there, I think). And you just need to remove them from the init scripts, and scripts called within the init scripts.
NagaDrag
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redpenguin wrote:
I had two mods. One worked, the other didn't. I compared their init scripts. I found out they differ in the wait instruction. Then I made an init script of my own, with only that instruction. It crashed. Removed it from the crashing mod, rerun it, it works. Trust me, I tested this extensively, it's the only thing causing problems :) (all the wait-like instructions, there are 2 in there, I think). And you just need to remove them from the init scripts, and scripts called within the init scripts.

Ok

Well Im having one problem atm

The Mod Top Gun 2.5 seems to crash if you try to go outside of a space station, meaning, if you load game you're pretty much screwed if you are outside or once you get out of the station, with this error
Code:

gamer@gamer ~/x2 $ ./x2
x2 1.4.05, built for i386
Segmentation Fault: What do you mean mind the asteroid? What astero

This is a BUG, please report it to http://support.linuxgamepublishing.com
Stack dump:
{
        [0xb7eee420]
        ./x2 [0x80bbe63]
        ./x2 [0x80bbe8b]
        ./x2 [0x80834da]
        ./x2 [0x8093f99]