Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who reads (translated) Gentoo Weekly Newsletter?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you read the translated Gentoo Weekly Newsletter?
Yes, always
13%
 13%  [ 22 ]
Yes, sometimes
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Yes, if it's 'on time'
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
No, prefer the english original (because that is my first language)
35%
 35%  [ 59 ]
No, prefer the english original (in general)
32%
 32%  [ 55 ]
No, prefer the english original (since it's always 'on time')
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
No, prefer the english original (since i get it via E-mail too)
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
No, since it's almost never 'on time'
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
I don't read GWN at all
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
What the hell is that?
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 168

Author Message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Who reads (translated) Gentoo Weekly Newsletter? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I already started such a poll in the German Forum but i thought it'd be interesting to start same one here too so here it is. ;)

for those who are interested in the german one: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=54712

before i forget please tell your (gentoo friends) about the poll so we get lots of votes for a 'good' statistic ;)

regards, LordVan
P.S.: questions, comments (and help translating too of course :D) welcome too :)


Last edited by LordVan on Thu May 22, 2003 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: addition of 'native language' choice Reply with quote

if someone wants/needs to change to this vote plz tell me
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 17 Jan 2003
Posts: 203

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GWN brightens my mondays like no other. :)
_________________
www.ruinedsoft.com
Freeware development.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
svyatogor
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 13 Feb 2003
Posts: 186
Location: Kingdom of Kells

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!
I don't really think this poll will give any information for quite obvious reason.

:!: Most of the people who visit this forum and therefore see this poll know english quite well, as a result they might prefer english version of GWN as original is often better.

However, those people who don't speak English tha well are very unlikely to be here, while they are the main audience of the translated GWN's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

svyatogor wrote:
Hey!
I don't really think this poll will give any information for quite obvious reason.

:!: Most of the people who visit this forum and therefore see this poll know english quite well, as a result they might prefer english version of GWN as original is often better.

However, those people who don't speak English tha well are very unlikely to be here, while they are the main audience of the translated GWN's.


that's why i'll ask klieber to add this link to the next issue so that people not on forums see it too :)
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darktux
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 16 Nov 2002
Posts: 1086
Location: Coimbra, Portugal

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always read it in english. Why?

- it's where to the link goes :)

- the translations, wether you like it or not, aren't always accurate, and no, I couldn't do it better my self, so no flames please :x

- if english is my second language, why bother? :roll:
_________________
Lego my ego, and I'll lego your knowledge

www.tuxslare.org - My reborn website :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 2764

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a notice about your poll in the Italian Forum.
_________________
I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:
Put a notice about your poll in the Italian Forum.


cool thanks :)
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
beowulf
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 07 Apr 2003
Posts: 225

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordVan wrote:
svyatogor wrote:
Hey!
I don't really think this poll will give any information for quite obvious reason.

:!: Most of the people who visit this forum and therefore see this poll know english quite well, as a result they might prefer english version of GWN as original is often better.

However, those people who don't speak English tha well are very unlikely to be here, while they are the main audience of the translated GWN's.


that's why i'll ask klieber to add this link to the next issue so that people not on forums see it too :)


hehe you're going to need some of the poll options translated as well.
_________________
I have nothing witty to say here... ever :-(
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beowulf wrote:

hehe you're going to need some of the poll options translated as well.


does that mean you volunteer? :D
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Aug 2002
Posts: 189
Location: Atlantide

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translations are as accurate if the translator does a good enough job. The point is to get the idea through and not the message (for technical documents at least). I translate the GWN in french and I often completely modify the original structure while other times it's almost word by word (like softwares do).

Of course we can always discuss about the only language OSS is developped on but it's too late at this point. ;)
_________________
"Is this type of thing going to happen every time we switch to improbability drive?" "Very probably I'm afraid."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: stupid phpBB bug ... Reply with quote

cause of a bug the poll itself is gone ):

i hope it can be recovered ..

regards
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: poll back :D Reply with quote

praise rac ;)

he brought it back :D
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 24 Dec 2002
Posts: 1728
Location: Nottingham, UK

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: poll back :D Reply with quote

LordVan wrote:
praise rac ;)

he brought it back :D


s/he/she/ ;)
_________________
a.k.a port001
Found a bug? Please report it: Gentoo Bugzilla
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 17 May 2002
Posts: 2858
Location: Århus, Denmark

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: poll back :D Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
LordVan wrote:
praise rac ;)

he brought it back :D


s/he/she/ ;)


So Rac is female... I'm confused now.. I was corrected once for calling him her. Not by Rac him or herself though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: poll back :D Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
port001 wrote:
LordVan wrote:
praise rac ;)

he brought it back :D


s/he/she/ ;)


So Rac is female... I'm confused now.. I was corrected once for calling him her. Not by Rac him or herself though.


from deflist:
rac Robert Coie San Francisco perl and stuff
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
magnet
Guru
Guru


Joined: 16 Mar 2003
Posts: 582
Location: france

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's go for the original's one.
_________________
every step aim at glory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AngusYoung
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 20 Dec 2002
Posts: 473
Location: Campinas, SP - Brazil

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read GWN in Brazilian Portuguese if it is available, however, if it is not, I read the original one.
I don't know what's the reason of this poll, but I think that translated documentation/news are a very important piece of any software.
_________________
N.U.S.: A cross platform C++ application development framework
My blog (in Portuguese)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
frippz
Guru
Guru


Joined: 22 Aug 2002
Posts: 460
Location: Malmö, Sweden

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go for the original. However, I'm investigating the interest for a version in my native language (swedish, duh) for those who would prefer it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordVan
Developer
Developer


Joined: 28 Nov 2002
Posts: 67
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngusYoung wrote:
I read GWN in Brazilian Portuguese if it is available, however, if it is not, I read the original one.
I don't know what's the reason of this poll, but I think that translated documentation/news are a very important piece of any software.


well reason is that we(the translators) like to know how many people read it ;)
_________________
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amd
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Nov 2002
Posts: 65
Location: Saaremaa / Estonia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about option:
'Read it in english (because there are'nt any translators for my native language)'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red Nalie
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Mar 2003
Posts: 484
Location: Den Helder - The Netherlands - Europe - Earth - Milky Way - Universe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amd wrote:
What about option:
'Read it in english (because there are'nt any translators for my native language)'


What are you waiting for, go and translate :)
_________________
Many people call me Linux-freak, I just see me as a freak who uses Linux :)

i'm a little n00bie short and stout, here is my nickname here is my SHOUT!!!1 when i get all flamed up hear me SHOUT!!1 ban me forever, kick me out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum