Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Which old (loki) Linux games are still working?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Which old (loki) Linux games are still working? Reply with quote

I wanted to order some old Linux games. I wonder though which one are still working (e.g. with the new glibc) and/or are to be expected to work in the future. here are some examples:

Code:
Civilization: Call to Power
Myth II Soulblighter (not working?)*
Heavy Gear II
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Quake III Arena
Tribes 2
Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.2
Soldier of Fortune
Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns
Rune Bundle: Rune and Halls of Valhalla

If I understand correctly it almost impossible to get Myth2 working.
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fav game Q3A is still going strong. Soldier of Fortune 1 is good, even better is Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whig wrote:
My fav game Q3A is still going strong. Soldier of Fortune 1 is good, even better is Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I have no real worries for Q3A since it's GPL'ed :wink:. Is their a Linux version for RtCW?
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, native linux client :) Go through portage or visit http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whig wrote:
Yes, native linux client :) Go through portage or visit http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/

Kewl :). Does this work with the Windows game you can find everywhere? (just like Doom and Quake) or do I need to order a special Linux version?
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different editions of RtCW require different linux installers - original, GOTY, extended (not 100% sure how far it goes) - but you should be able to install in Wine/XP and copy the data files over. Try the linux demo first to see if you like it, 115MB download according to portage.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whig wrote:
Different editions of RtCW require different linux installers - original, GOTY, extended (not 100% sure how far it goes) - but you should be able to install in Wine/XP and copy the data files over. Try the linux demo first to see if you like it, 115MB download according to portage.

Do you happen to know whcih version is working with the rtcw ebuild? They sell a budget version off this game here but I am not certain it will work?
rodoke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri yesterday on my Core 2 Duo machine. Portage set everything up and it works perfectly for me.
whig
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
Do you happen to know whcih version is working with the rtcw ebuild? They sell a budget version off this game here but I am not certain it will work?
Sorry no, I did a manual install. It was a long time ago but I do remember it wasn't difficult.
Yggdrasil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodoke wrote:
I just installed Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri yesterday on my Core 2 Duo machine. Portage set everything up and it works perfectly for me.

Does it play the videos in-game for you? I installed it, and can't see the videos, but I can hear them. I just don't get it (they open fine in xine/mplayer).
rodoke
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yggdrasil wrote:
Does it play the videos in-game for you? I installed it, and can't see the videos, but I can hear them. I just don't get it (they open fine in xine/mplayer).

Yeah, I can see and hear everything just fine.
Funatico
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yggdrasil wrote:
rodoke wrote:

Same here :(
swanson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try using the instructions on the Gentoo Wiki at HOWTO Running Old Loki Games which I'd written for all my games which were previously installed in a dedicated partition from an old distribution prior to switching to Gentoo and so didn't want to use portage for them. It includes contributions and testing from other users for games which I don't own.
TinheadNed
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CivCTP doesn't work here, which is a shame. I found an ebuild that updated it to the latest version, but the patches aren't hosted any more.
Rabbi Hillel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this for some games:

http://www.liflg.org/

http://appdb.winehq.org/
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swanson wrote:
You could try using the instructions on the Gentoo Wiki at HOWTO Running Old Loki Games which I'd written for all my games which were previously installed in a dedicated partition from an old distribution prior to switching to Gentoo and so didn't want to use portage for them. It includes contributions and testing from other users for games which I don't own.

I find a problem with the wiki that information is outdated incomplete. FOr example if you search the forums for Myth II you see lots of users having trouble getting it running at all. I have the Windows version whcih latest patch is 1.6. The Linux version is unfortunately forever stuck on 1.3. I hope all people responding to this thread also update the wiki :D
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swanson wrote:

Your post finally got me motivated to get the old Loki games I own working again after the last glibc update wrecked most of them. Like you, I had these games installed outside of portage in /usr/local since they were copied-over from other distros many times. I believe I originally installed them before Gentoo even existed. :)

Initially I tried using the loki-compat libs in portage, but it seemed like many of the old libs needed weren't available in that package. After un-emerging that, I then d/l'ed and installed in /usr/local the tarball of compat. libs linked in the wiki. Followed the rest of the instructions and all the games started working fine.

At one point I probably had all the Loki games, but now that only games still installed are Sim City 3000 Unlimited and Alpha Centauri. Good old Eric's Ultimated Solitaire (EUS) didn't need the compat libs.
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also understand that Loki 's Soldier of Fortune can't be patched to the latest version thus making it impossible for online play :(.
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
I also understand that Loki 's Soldier of Fortune can't be patched to the latest version thus making it impossible for online play :(.

I'm sure that's true, but SOF's main strength was it's single-player mission anyway. After all these years have passed since the game's introduction, SOF's online presence has to be very small.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civ Call To Power (CivCTP) still works here. Unpacked into a dir, used the static binary.

Once every 100+ hours of gaming in crashes - but that is nothing new.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Rabbi Hillel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Return to castle Wolfenstein" is realy a great game with superb effects even on my ancient 1Ghz machine. I can play it with high detail at 1280x1024.

I just reanimated it yesterday and I'm really stunned.

It's fun playing it in easy-mode.
tp11235
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Reply with quote

Hi,

This is the game I really want to get working. Rodoke: Are you talking about the Loki port of SMAC or the Windows version running under WINE?

Either way what did you do toy get it running? I can get the install started with the Windows version in WINE but then I get an error about data transfer - 113 and it stops installing.

Any hints or clues?

Tim.
Dirk.R.Gently
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to try, need to try one of these. I just purchased Heavy Metal FAKK2 from a friend. Only a couple bucks so :wink: I tried the emerging with portage but it can't find the cdrom. :( So I tried the installer here:

http://www.liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=68

Still the same thing though. The CD mounts and operates just find normally however, I've had zero problems with it. /dev/cdrom point to the correct device. Any ideas why this might be occurring?
qubix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki released Railroad Tycoon 2, which IMHO is very kewl, and it still kicks ass on gentoo. I remember installing civctp some time ago and it also did work.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk.R.Gently wrote:
it can't find the cdrom

As always, look inside the ebuild.

/usr/portage/games-action/fakk2/fakk2-1.02.ebuild
Code:
cdrom_get_cds fakk

So, if your CD does not contain a "fakk" directory, then you have a CD in a different layout to that expected. The solution is to enhance the ebuild to add support for the new layout. E.g. see bug.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: