2007.0 Livecd: "cp: Write Error: no space left on device"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahammell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: 2007.0 Livecd: "cp: Write Error: no space left on devic Reply with quote

Good day all

When using, "boot: gentoo-nofb nox" (or default pressing enter, i.e., boot: , or boot: gentoo), i686 LiveCD does not login (hanging on the splash screen or when "nox" is used, asking for user login and a password). It does not give me the expected command line prompt to progress with dialog install

While booting, after displaying the line, "Copying read-write image contents to tmpfs" an error is repeated many times scrolling down the screen. The exact message is: "cp: Write Error: No space left on device"

I assume this means something like certain files or information wasn't loaded into ram?

The system I'm installing this on was new in 2000 and it wasn't cutting edge then either. IBM Personal Computer 300PL, 733MHz Pentium III, 192MB RAM, 30GB Maxtor hard drive. I don't have internet/network access on this machine.

The livecd booted fine on other PCs I tried it on. I have not been able to find any information on this error through google or the forums. At this point, I'm considering trying to 2006.1 livecd to see if it works. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you.
longhorn49
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt seem like you have enough RAM for the livecd to be booted.
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try to boot other liveCDs you could try to something very basic or install the Gentoo on different system and just move the HDD
ahammell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: i686 2006.1 LiveCD works when 2007.0 does not Reply with quote

Thank you both for your responses.

I hesitate to say that it is a lack of RAM, despite the error message. Unless, that is, the gentoo documentation should be changed from a required 128MB to run the LiveCD. My system meets the documented hardware requirements.

Also, I tried another LiveCD that worked. Prior to, but in accordance with, the other suggestion, I began installing 2006.1 i686 LiveCD. It worked using, "boot: gentoo-nofb nox"

Thanks again
MOBARMEG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem too!

I have Intel P4 2.2 Mobile Proccessor with 190MB ram and 80GB HD

The same things happens here when I try to boot the Gentoo 2007.0 Install CD

when it reaches "Copying read-write image contents to tmpfs" an error message saying that:
"cp: Write Error: No space left on device" is repeated many times, and then it asks for loging in.

Is there any solution?
ahammell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 2007.0 LiveDVD and it worked on 192MB RAM. I'd still recommend using "boot: gentoo-nofb nox" to make the install run a little smoother. Won't help if you're using the LiveDVD to get a feel for the system though.

So, the 2006.1 LiveCD and the 2007.0 LiveDVD both work on my pIII 733MHz pc with 192MB RAM, but the 2007.0 LiveCD does not. I assume that is a bug with the 2007.0 LiveCD.

[update] Although, the 2007.0 LiveDVD didn't store the root password, failing the installation program. That may be completely unrelated though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: