View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anton123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 2007.0 GUI Installer is buggy Reply with quote

Edit by NeddySeagoon - title changed from Gentoo 2007.0 is a buggy release, as the release is ok.
The GUI installer may have a few issues though.

Hi,

I have tried to install the newest Gentoo live cd release but, to my surprise, this release is riddled with serious bugs. I did check the MD5 sum of the downloaded image and it matches with the original. My previous experiences have been with 2006.0 and 2006.1; 2006.1 has been the best experience I had with Gentoo. 2007.0 seems to be the worst release yet.

To start with, the live cd session always crashes when I do this.

1)open terminal
2)sudo -s
3)passwd root (give new password)
4)exit
5)exit

Suddenly, all becomes very slow, the icons in the upper panel have red X over them and the menu items disappear or no icons are visible. Then, I get warnings like "command ls not found", text replaced with garbage characters and so on. Basically, I have to reboot to restart a new session.

At boot time the X server no longer loads the "nv" driver for my nvidia geforce 6600 gt card but the "vesa" driver upon every boot with the live cd.

These two problems I have experienced also but less often with the 2006.0 release of the live cd. Maybe I should wait for the 2007.1 release to fix these issues.

Another frustrating issue is with the new installer. Personally, I believe that it is a regression.
The partitioning step in 2006.1 was allowing you to do a visual partition and then ask you in the end if you wanted to commit the changes. Now, the changes are committed before any warnings. This is a serious drawback and not professional at all.
Sometimes, at the mount partition stage, the installer crashes and it says that the mounting of the partition could fail for any reason. Why was the "Mount point:" option removed from the format dialog during the partitioning step (unlike 2006.0 and 2006.1) really surprises me and makes me wonder what went through the heads of the people who wrote this new installer.
Sometimes, during the partition format the format dialog just doesn't close at all as soon as the partition creation step is done... clicking "ok" does not work but I have to click on "cancel" or the close button. After doing that, when I arrive at the mounting step, I click "Add", set the new drive partition to boot from, click "Update". After doing that I get the "the mounting of the partition could fail for any reason". I have to restart the installer and start from scratch.

Last of all, networking does not work post-install, period. In 2006.1 it did and besides this, I had none of the issues I have described here when I was performing a live cd installation.

Will there be a re-spin of the 2007.0 release soon so to correct these issues and others that might exist? If anyone else has any problems with the live cd, please state them here as well so to make a difference for better.

Thank you.

[Mod Edit Stuck by NeddySeagoon to collect feedback on 2007.0
Please post bugs - devs dont always read the forums]

Unstuck. -- desultory
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anton123,

Please post a bug on bugs.gentoo.org.

You need to list your hardware, the file name of the ISO you are using, a concise description of the problem and the steps to recreate it.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Matthijs70
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: 2007.0, no ati ??? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I already noticed a lot of problems with the 2007.0 version.

I try to install this version on a old laptop (Compaq Armada M700) and it fails to start X.
Fail to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)

Any clue how to fix this ???

PS .. I am using the LiveCD .. the previous 2006.1 version works fine.

PS .. I also would not say 2007.0 is a buggy release .. it just has some problems :-)

Cheers,
Matthijs
ai_ja_nai
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me, on a HP Pavilion zv6000: the server X of the installer shell doesn't load at all, failing to find ati and glx modules
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we have seen here is that the amd64 version of the minimal livecd seems to work very well and solves problems that we were having on some newer laptops. It was even trivially easy to set it up as a network pxe boot.

The x86 version, on the other hand, is pretty poor. From its spash screen (says 2006.1) to the complete lack of network boot support, it is not looking like I will be using it for installs any time soon. Glad we have knoppix for our 32 bit systems.
Matthijs70
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm .. there are 2 bug reports already for x86 and AMD with the same ATI and X windows problems.
Sadly it seems not been fixed in the final release ...

See bug report:
177726 https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177726
174306 https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=174306
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007.0, no ati ??? Reply with quote

Matthijs70 wrote:
Fail to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)

modprobe fglrx
elbartoqwertyuiop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy for me too, when I try to install 2007.0 on my Inspiron B120, it just fails when grub is being installed,
Quote:
grub> quit
my butt.
chix4mat
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried both the x86 and AMD64 versions and get:

Code:
Fatal server error
No screen found.

With each, same as the bug report here: 177726 https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177726

2006.1 Live CD works no problem, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem ;-)
anton123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, the new GTK+ installer is horribly slow when it comes to accessing/formatting/creating partitions. At least if it were just that slow but do its job properly however, its bugs in the partitioning/partition mounting stages make it unacceptable and it seems, worse than the 2006.0 installer. Anyway, what happened to the old 2006.1 installer? It was fast and it worked without any problems for the features it was supposed to accomplish (true, the GUI was not too professional but needed only small retouches). Personally, I believe that the 2006.1 installer was solid and a good place to build/refine upon. Overall, the new installer sucks.
Also, the 2007.0 x86 live cd/dvd loads the "vesa" driver for my nvidia geforce 6600 gt card instead of the "nv" driver. The 2006.1 release did correctly load the "nv" driver.
After I managed to finally get 2007.0 release installed, GRUB did not identify my windows xp partition. Neither did the 2006.0 release but the 2006.1 did. I had to manually reedit the grub.conf file.
One last point, when I launch a terminal and issue "su -c gedit", gedit opens but as soon as I click on any of its toolbar icons, gedit freezes and is unuseable. This problem can be repeated over and over again.
Matthijs70
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I tried on a Compaq ML370R01 server ... and same issue (LiveCD 2007.0 i686):
(EE) failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
(EE) failed to load module GLcore (loader failed,7)
(EE) failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) no driver available

Hmmmm ... still no workaround ???
suhesz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crap for shure.

Can't boot the x86 2007.0 r1!!! Minimal CD
if an WD USB External disk is attached to these computers:

1. IBM Thinkpad T43p
2. Generic PC with Asus A7V Motherboard and Athlon Thunderbird
3. Generic PC with Abit KT7A Motherboard and Athlon XP

The x86 2006.1 Minimal CD boots up without this problem.

The boot process stops here (for IBM Thinkpad T43p):
>> Activating mdev
>> Making tmpfs for /newroot
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda1
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda2
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda3
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sda5
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sdb
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sdb1
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sdb2
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sdb3
>> Attempting to mount media /dev/sdb5
!!! Dies here with the last statement above !!!

The difference with other computers with similar
result is that there are only /dev/sda statements.

When I disconnect the USB disk, the boot process
finishes, with the standard Gentoo network
setup bug (this tend to be Gentoo Trademark):

Even correctly detected, the net.eth0 interface is
not properly initialized through DHCP.

Depending what the ifconfig command returns:

A) if there is no eth0 interface listed, i have to run:

net-setup ; perform the selection and settings
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart ; not going to work without this

B) if there is eth0 interface listed, but without correct IP settings by DHCP

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

This is not a new bug, this was presented in all 2006.1 distributed CD versions (dead or live),
with devastating results on install process with live versions.

I was very frustrated with the quality of x86 2006.1 Live CD and DVD,
and I'am going to touch another one if and only if I'am going to be payed for that.

I'am very worried about this distro. After such a long development period to come out
with such an errorneus Minimal CD (the BASE of Gentoo INSTALL process) is a significant
warning. If the Gentoo Team can not maintain even the Minimal CD evolution properly,
they shoud stop the boot and installation disk release and development, and should
maintain only the Portage tree, and releasing Tarballs(1,2,3) only. For instalation we can
use other distros ( I have found for example the PPC OpenSuSE minimal CD very usefull,
the Gentoo PPC boot disks are not bootable on IBM PReP RS6000).

Come on guys, I want to keep use Gentoo, don't mess up the Minimal CD too !
Do not forget: the Gentoo advantage is Portage, chroot and tarball !

Chears,
SuhesZ
IMSargon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the 2007.0 release is full of, well, "challenges" for us to solve. I'm not sure the best developers are going to pay much attention to a thread called "Gentoo 2007.0 is a buggy release", though. Let's take each issue and make a thread so they can be handled one at a time.

I've set one up for the missing ATI drivers. Feel free to stop by and leave your input.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-558277.html

-Sargon
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the minimal CDs remain functional, as always (yeah, I was another of the fools that downloaded and is still seeding the DVD iso). It is a pain to see how bad is this going. I would say the same that another poster above: if Gentoo has not enough developers for Live disks, they should focus on the Gentoo engines and forget about the rest.

This is really hurting Gentoo. Everyday I talk at least to a couple of persons that would like to try Gentoo but are really scared about the bad quality of the Live disks, and I can't blame them. If you insert a Live on a dvd drive, you expect it to boot ok, at least, to boot. Then you can worry about the rest.

The minimal cd is enough for anyone willing to install Gentoo. If you want a fancy environment, there are already zillions of live cds that can give you that. Yes, they don't have the nice splash (that works ok), but at least they work. I can't understand how a person that doesn't know a shit about Gentoo is supposed to act when s/he can't even boot the live dvd or cd. This things should be tested, and if that can't be done, it shouldn't be done.

It is my opinion, of course, but remember that in this world, the image and the first impressions are really important. No one is going to trust you if you don't give a good reason for them to do so.

It can seem like I am in anger or something. But no, I feel sad instead. I will continue using Gentoo regardless for a number of purposes, but this is no good... not good at all.

PS. I understand the devs, they can't do more than they do. But, that is the problem: as I already said, they shouldn't be trying to do more than they can. If lives are not a doable thing, they should die and be completely wiped out from the handbook. Let minimal cd + stage3 live.
ercxy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installer in 2007.0 live cd corrupted my partition table.
Currently trying to recover the partition table using systemrescueCD.
From my one time only experience, I would suggest people to be more cautious about the installer and go to minimalcd/stage3 install route.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing I always use the Minimal CD and install Gentoo via the console. Never had a problem here with my x86 or PPC systems.
Vojko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing system restore (i retired reiserfs and changed to ext3) using livecd 2006.1 i think (it was the only one i had at a reach) and after i finished untaring, livecd system wouldn't accept any commands at all (file not found ...). So i've downloaded 2007.0 minimal redid the process and everything was working after untar so i could do some minor changes and boot up my linux. So thumbs up for 2007.0, minimal everything worked from a get go.
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand why they are putting so much effort in creating a GUI installer. It feels like the same reason why they removed support for stage1 and stage2. (Because beginning Linux users don't understand how to use it or are not comfortable with it.) That while Gentoo is (or aims to be) a distribution for advanced Linux users and not for beginners. Beginners should try Ubuntu and switch to Gentoo when they feel like they're ready for it and are comfortable with using the console.
xHemi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky for me i just did a stage1 install from minimal and it worked great!
Cchild6898
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: 2007.0 minimal install won't even boot up Reply with quote

I downloaded 2007.0 minimal iso on May 8 and it won't even boot up. Says it can't find an operating system. I am using 2006.1 without any problems. Gentoo is definitely not for the newbie; please do try (K)ubuntu it will not fail you. However, Gentoo is great fun and a better performer if you have the time and patience for it. The dev's here will get it right. Be patient.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007.0 minimal install won't even boot up Reply with quote

Cchild6898 wrote:
I downloaded 2007.0 minimal iso on May 8 and it won't even boot up. Says it can't find an operating system. I am using 2006.1 without any problems. Gentoo is definitely not for the newbie; please do try (K)ubuntu it will not fail you. However, Gentoo is great fun and a better performer if you have the time and patience for it. The dev's here will get it right. Be patient.

Yep.

The problem is that the experimental dev stuff should not be included in an official handbook as the official way to install Gentoo. That will only hurt Gentoo more and more. Gentoo hasn't still published a working livecd that works in a reasonable amount of cases.

If you are a newbie and have no experience with linux, 90% of the times you will pick a graphical installer if there is a possibility to do so. Don't expect the newbie to know that it doesn't work. It is into an official handbook as an official installation media. And it should either work, or be removed from there, and relegated to secondary download mirrors where only people willing to work on it to solve bug (or masochists) could download it.

Three defective releases of a livecd in a row mean something. Even if someone can't or doesn't want to see it. I know there is a lot of work left to do in gentoo. So, let's focus on what we can do, and let's forget what we simply don't have the time or devs to do.

Things that toy with your partitions should not be released as "production ready" unless they have been tested by real users. I don't know if this was the case or not, but if it was tested, it certainly was not tested as a test should be done.
superpat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Its not buggy -- its really rubbish! Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just spent all afternoon trying to install to hard drive from the 2007.0 x86 livecd.

There are so many things wrong, I would have thought this to be an early Alpha release not a Gold!

The new graphical installer is awful. Its slow, crashes often and formats partitions before asking for confirmation.

When I asked to install using the advanced method, and told it that I wanted to use the "menuconfig kernel option", it ignored my choice and started a default installation. The only way out was to power off!

I have now attempted 4 installs. Something has gone wrong with all of them. I am not going to detail the faults, if any Gentoo person tries the live CD the faults will be very apparent.

I have fimally pulled the plug on it and tossed the liveCD in the rubbish bin, back to the miminal installer which works for me.

When is Gentoo going to get a good live CD?

Where are the beta testers?

Who will stick their hand up and get this rubbish withdrawn and fixed?

I have been a Gentoo user for many years, and I am not impressed.

Sorry.

Patrick
Matthijs70
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ... it's not impressive ... but also no comment.

But I do wonder if the final was really tested at all ... can't be that there are so many troubles with the 2007.0 :-(

Let's hope for a quick fix :-)
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2007.0 minimal install won't even boot up Reply with quote

Cchild6898 wrote:

That sounds more like the BIOS is trying to boot the hard disk instead of the CD, check your settings and actually no Ubuntu failed on me the last three times i tried to install it on different computers.

PS:
Quote:

[Mod Edit Stuck by NeddySeagoon to collect feedback on 2007.0
Please post bugs - devs dont always read the forums]

Does that include the profile as well? I just upgrade the profile and Kerberos and LDAP all of a sudden seem to be part of the 2007.0 desktop profile which seems a little odd.
Seer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree.

Even the GUI is challenging lol.

Fails within a few seconds saying something along the lines of

"Install failed for many reasons please see installer.log.errors for more details"

The log isn't in the supposed location so, I click on the nice little button below that says "view log" and nautilus crashes in such a way that it is unrecoverable and thus I threw the DVD in the bin.

What is going on with such a bad release?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: