View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: My two cents Reply with quote

The GUI installer is definitely a step back. Taking action during the install process is a mistake, all user options should be done and then at the end the install takes action. Also fails everytime I tried to use it.

I think the team needs to consider not using there custom installer, and should utilize Anaconda as the installer.

[edit]
The text based installer also failed. Failed at installed a package (xine-ui), most likely just a compile problem. I should have known better than to add extra packages on the install. I should not have added any extra packages, and just waited until the system was up and then emerged them like normal. It there are still alot of problems with emergeing packages then that option needs to be taken out of the installer.

--
heath
bulah.com

Last edited by xcable on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swervo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd throw in here: Was hoping 2007.0 was the release that would include support for wireless networking in the installer, as I was hoping to get Gentoo running at home (I run it at work and love it, but I only have a wireless network at home). I didn't see anything in the release notes, but I figured how could there possibly be a 2007 release without support for it.

I haven't found out. Every time I try to install, I get the thing about the installer running into numerous errors, telling me to check the installer.log.failed (I believe that's it, it's not in front of me right now) in /tmp, which doesn't exist. There is a compile.log.failed, but that's just a huge list of packages.

I've installed using every liveCD version up until 2007.0 and had absolutely no problems except for the lack of wireless networking. Now, it doesn't work at all, and for the first time I got confused using a Gentoo installer. I'm not sure what the plan was here, but as far as I can tell, the installer is far less bulletproof and is now more confusing. This coming from a linux user (various distros, Slackware, Mandrake, RedHat, Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc) since 1995. What in the sam hill happened?
xcable
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning; rant following.

2007.0 is fing useless!!!! Nothing works! I've wasted hours on this crap. If you want to install using a GUI use VLOS or Sabayon. At least they work.

--
heath
bulah.com
siamect
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Use USB instead of CD worked for me.... Reply with quote

I had lots of problems with the 2007.0, like stopping at Perl... 50/116 described by others in this thread, both on the CD and the DVD (both i686).

I put the cd files on a USB memory-stick as described elsewhere in this site and from the USB stick I could boot and install without problems. This seems to be repeatable... I have reinstalled 4-5 times on two different computers without problems.

Now I tried with the DVD and I copied the stage3 tarball first from the CD to the /root folder. I choose advanced so I could choose the URL for the tarball... and pointed it to the copy and it seemed to work.
I couldn't continue the installation because it was trying to emerge and I'm not allowed to connect this computer to the Corp LAN, so no internet. But still I think this problem have something to do with the CD drive.

The next step for me is to get a 4Gb usb memory do I can put the whole DVD on it.. :)

Best regards
Martin
c0vert
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a pure networkless install. As I said before I tested like 9 different install scenarios with the LiveCD and it only worked twice. And each time I partitioned using the command line installer, then exited it, and continued with the GUI installer, networkless install. Making sure to mount / and /boot at the secoond (or third) screen.
KN8E-deluxe
SATA 120 Gig Seagate
belad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: 2007.0 --its a joke, right? Reply with quote

I have spent about 12 hours trying to get 2007.0 to install on a Thinkpad r40 that had 2006.1 running just fine. The posts the indicated I could recoveer from the ATI 'F U " doesn't work period. This is a non-starter! Period!!!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know this isn't very helpful at this juncture, but, why did you do that? On your 2006.1 installation, if you've been using emerge to update your system reasonably regularly, you probably had a more up-to-date installation than the "new" 2007.0 (which was frozen a couple of months ago). Only other thing you need to do is to update your profile every year or so.

Incidentally, did you try the installer or do a manual install via the CLI and Handbook? I failed last weekend to get an install going with the installer and was quite frustrated as a result, too.

- John
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the above two posts.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belad,

You missed a key feature of Gentoo.

Gentoo does not have versions - the install media does. So installing 2007.0 in place of 2006.1 gets you almost nothing.
Your gentoo is as up to date as your last
Code:
emerge --sync
emerge world -uDN

There is one step you need to do over an above that to move to fully 2007.0 from 2006.1 and that is upate your /etc/make.profile symbolic link. Even this is not essential for most uses as it sets predefined USE flags and a few other basics.

For example, the install I'm using now started life as 1.4-rc4 and is now 2007.0.
Its been migrated across several sets of motherboard/processor/memory/hard drive combinations but never reinstalled.

In practice, everyone has their own (different) install of Gentoo

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is 2007.1 coming out (hopefully it will fix the bugs), I want to put Gentoo back on my system but don't feel like doing the whole manual commandline thing again, if I can get a GUI to do more than half the work for me that would be great. I'm using Ubuntu now and I don't appreciate it.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
gmtongar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Back to Gentoo Reply with quote

Not really a question...

I didn't get my wireless to work, and in my frustration I downloaded Sabayon which should be the fast way to Gentoo :roll:

So what's a poor sucker to do...

Everything worked fine, install was smooth... login screen was terrific... blah, blah, blah... Even getting my wireless to work was done in seconds... So why go back to real Gentoo when everything is cool n nice?

Well, my favourite browser is Opera (it's norwegian - I'm norwegian, kidding, that's not the reason: it's small and it's fast, also it looks great and has a great set of tools)... So Opera it is! So, of course I run emerge -av opera . And this is my disappointment, and the reason for writing this: Resolving dependencies takes forever !! Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, don't think so. So, I take a quick look at make.conf... and it looks like a bloody nightmare. There it is. I'm running Gentoo on 4 clients, a web server and a file- and db server. Now, this posting will be the last to be done on my Sabayon laptop, it's back to Gentoo with this one too.

So, there it is... Enough said.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Sabayon is the worst distro I've every tried in my life. It seems like the guy had no clue what he's doing so he just put everything so that he can't go wrong. Bad approach to what should be a faster system than Windows.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
gmtongar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and of course, this is to be done via command line... all though it takes me a great deal of hours, but I'll have a system built on my own, and with only my own failures to blame...

Have a nice one !!
20div0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Should have released 2007.0 earlier.... Reply with quote

like on April 1st, because it's totally a joke.
Sorry for the rant. I have used Linux for over 10 years and is a die hard Gentoo
fan. This 2007.0 thing is the worse installer I have ever seen. Guys, please don't
ruin a great distro. If it doesn't work, don't release it. We are happy with the manual
command line install.

I have used the installer on the LiveCD (gui and command line) many times and all
kinds of problem come up. Never got passed the 50% copying .... like others already
mentioned.

(sorry for beating a dead horse, but have to rant it out because I love Gentoo so much)
Andy
Dirk.R.Gently
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My philosophy, install once, then update.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The installer != 2007.0. What defines a Gentoo release is the profile, the GRP set of binary packages, and the various iso images. The installer is a separate sub-project. To wit:
Quote:

Along with the release of Gentoo Linux 2007.0, the Gentoo Linux Installer team is accouncing version 0.5[.4] of GLI.

( taken from here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/index.xml )

The installer is just a single part of the release, found only on the LiveCD/DVD. And yes, often, it doesn't work so good. Not being finished, that's to be expected.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added above 3 posts to the collection here

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
20div0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I meant the installer is crap. No matter how great 2007.0 is, it's pointless when
you cannot install it. Anyone try Gentoo for the first time with 2007.0 installer will be
saying "What the xxxx is the Gentoo people thinking ......"

After reading the sticky buggy installer thread, I am surprised the
installer liveCD is STILL available to download. Many people lost all their partitions because of that.

Luckily I used Gparted to resize my partitions and created new ones. Otherwise, I would have been
a victim. Some says there is a warning in the Handbook. Who would go read the Handbook when
you have a graphic installer? It has caused more harm then help IMO. If there is any WARNING or beta,
alpha version. It should be highlighted in the installer itself. NOT in the handbook.

I vote to yank the installer LiveCD out of the file server to prevent further damage of the
reputation of a great distribution.

Andy
20div0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I setup a vote here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-566719.html
anton123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I truly love the GTK+ installer from the live CD/DVD. However, I strongly encourage the Gentoo developers to really and I mean, REALLY, work on the installer since the one in the 2007.0 edition is the worst I have seen since its inception in 2006.0. It looks professional, but it is unstable, riddled with bugs and basically, unfinished. I hope that the 2007.1 release will have a stable, fully working, finished GTK+ installer.

http://techgage.com/article/gentoo_20070/3

Thank you.
warrawarra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Any fix for defective live 2007.0 dvd installer ? Reply with quote

Did someone manage to get a fix or a how-to to recover from this live dvd 2007 ?

I can get as far as the sys-devel/gettext or 50 of 116 ? then it hangs.

Managed to get past the defective partition tool that is in gnome by opening terminal and "sudo passwd" and then changing it to root.

Then managed to using cfdisk to get my partitions to be correct.

And what is up with selecting kde and it still goes to gnome or even xfce and still ending in gnome.

Text installer as root or as user ? locks up at 1st copying it does 1of2.

PS> getting ipw3945 to work is a nightmare.
warrawarra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might helps someone else:

Started dvd using "gentoo-nofb nox"

This ends up as root login already
(can be used to start gnome with "gdm" as for some reason nothing else kde / xfce works except gdm.)

I managed to use cfdisk to create my partition and format them using "mke2fs" for ext2 and "mke2fs -j" for ext3 as well as mkswap for swap partition.
Then I launched "mc" and coppied the /mnt/livedvd folder and all it's contents to /mnt/gentoo or my new root partition.

Then restarted again using "gentoo-nofb and nox" and using gentoo.org handbook / manual I chrooted into my hd from the dvd after following some options from "installing the system / chroot chapter" network/internet is working already at this stage before chroot.

Next going to continue using genkernel and grub and reboot.

This should work.

Will post a working generic make.conf here for anyone who needs it and or wants to copy it while in as root starting gdm and accesing the internet + copy file to correct /mnt/gentoo/ect/make.conf .

Hope this helps.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged the above two posts, formerly topic "Any fix for defective live 2007.0 dvd installer ?".
siamect
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 50/116 problem and other "hangings". I have put everything on a bootable USB memory according to the instructions in Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux LiveUSB HOWTO.htm.

From the USB memory I can install without problems using the GTK. I have installed several machines now and it works great. All those machines were hopelessly hanging when I installed using the live CD installe 2007.0 i686.

To make the USB stick bootable there was a problem when I used the Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux LiveUSB HOWTO.htm. It wouldn't boot...

But on www.slax.org there is a version 6rc instructions first to make a bootable SLAX USB. This worked and after that I used the Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Gentoo Linux LiveUSB HOWTO.htm instruction and it worked so there is something missing. I have used the same procedure for a both a 1 Gb and a 4Gb Kingston Datatreveler. Both works great.

Thanks for a great distro...
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this sticky after I found the graphical installer on the live cd had problems. My problem was I could not get out of the screen where you setup user accounts. Neither the next or back buttons worked.

The whole install process has left me rather disappointed.

So tried the text installer. Took 2 attempts at installing with the text installer. I used the existing partitions from a previous ubuntu install and had problems until I manually formated /dev/hda1 (for /). I would have expected the installed to have formatted the partition itself.

During boot and shutdown there are many messages about something in /etc being from the future. Using the date cmd shows the time is correct. Also netmount is being run before eth0 is started which is useless.

I also don't know whether the installer finished or crashed. I would expect some kind of message when the install has finished. Instead the installer disappeared. Found /mnt/gentoo had been unmounted so I tried booting the new system anyway to see what happened.

Probably the most annoying thing about this is I chose the livecd to install from so I could have a working system quickly to build on that instead of starting with a stage 3. The time I have spent on this I could have had a simple working system from a stage3. :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: