Emerge -Du world this AM- system down
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcbdbis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Emerge -Du world this AM- system down Reply with quote

Good morning,

Started off this am with a perfectly running gentoo install on X86_64. It's been up for a couple of years now.

a) Did a emerge --sync, emerge -Dup world, then a emerge -Du world

"man" is complaining about libstdc++.so.6

Most of my apps in XFCE4 won't launch, including my prowsers

emerge is dead complaining about invalis tokens in the /etc/profile.env

I can't emerge, revdep-rebuild, etc-update, etc.etc......

I DID notice a new glibc came down the wire this morning.......and something this AM modified by bashrc as every time I login, it automatically starts "X" now, with no WM.

I can recover from this,....but not without getting emerge running again........

Please, this is my work machine.I need help.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave
dcbdbis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Emerge -Du world this AM- system down Reply with quote

Whew!

What a panic attack.........!

All of the above happened when for some reason the latest update apparently didn't call /sbin/ldconfig.......... I did a Du world so I can't tell you which package is suspect. I do an emerge -Du world once daily in the early am......Lesson learned should probably do it at end of day for a production machine so I have some time to recover if things break. So something between yesterday AM and today AM may have "magic" in it.

I started tracing through the env.d files and checking paths....."locate libstdc++.so.6" came back with several hits, so I figured out it was a path/library problem.

Once I manually called /sbin/ldconfig..............every anomaly in the previous post fixed itself, emerge, revdep-rebuild, man, emerge, all of it. revdep-rebuild "blessed" my system as all consistent.

This one was a curveball, hope this post may help others if they have the same issue..............

BTW (different subject): I have been tracking the forums for a long time, and in the last six months the toxicity level by users I find ingratiating. No, I am not a Gentoo Dev....No I don't post a lot (I think this issue was my 2nd ever post) My career requires absolutely all of my time.

I think all need to think about that Gentoo is made available for free download. Developers work hard and long/ridiculous hours and give away their work. Users (like me) benefit from that hard work. I think those of us as users need to say a LARGE THANK YOU to the Gentoo dev's for that effort, instead of hammering on the dev's when a mistake is made. I mean....we're all human, mistakes and issues are a part of life. Mistakes in ebuilds are opportunities for me to learn... Just like this morning..........

There is no doubt in my mind if this post would have been left up for more time, I would have had folks burning THEIR time to solve MY issue. And no money would have ever changed hands.

Yes, there are issues time to time.....Anyone tried Vista lately? You will find TONS of issues there, and no help from MS to fix it except to say a SP is coming 4th qtr 2007. (I have to support MS products as part of my work, and no I don't dual boot. My personal system is 100% pure Gentoo Linux)

I wish to go on record as saying THANK YOU to all who dev, and to all who help in the forums............I for one, am one appreciative user.

THANK YOU GENTOO COMMUNITY!!!!!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Gentoo Chat as this is no longer a support request.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
Moved from Portage & Programming to Gentoo Chat as this is no longer a support request.

I might argue that the fact that "ldconfig" wasn't run automagically constitutes an error of some sort, and therefore a support request, even though he did fix it manually. Something like this ought to "just work." I just compared the 3 glibc-2.5x ebuilds and don't find anything that should have given these symptoms, though I'm not really up on ebuilds. The only differences I found pertained to hardened, multilib, and cross-compilation.

Any idea why the ldconfig didn't run automagically?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: