Question about CPU throttling on Prescott desktops
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Question about CPU throttling on Prescott desktops Reply with quote

So I finally got around enabling throttling on my desktop, which has a Prescott-based chip. When reading the wiki I, I came across this line, though:

Quote:
Frequency scaling on a pentium4 will actually not decrease the amount of power consumed apparently, but will reduce the heat output

My first thought was that wouldn't a decrease in heat mean less energy consumed, since heat=energy? I know that energy can exist in other forms as well, but nothing else really changes physically other than a decrease in heat. So can I expect to see my desktop drawing less power with throttling enabled (using the ondemand governor) than with it disabled? I believe that using it "drops" my CPU speed from 3ghz down to 375mhz

Also, what's the difference between CPU scaling and CPU throttling?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unofficial Gentoo wiki you read is full of such misinformation. Your CPU will use less power when it runs at lower clock speeds, period. And it will even run somewhat cooler.

Scaling just refers to changing the speeds at which your CPU runs. As for the differences between scaling and throttling, well, Google is your friend.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Question about CPU throttling on Prescott desktops Reply with quote

bertaboy wrote:
So I finally got around enabling throttling on my desktop, which has a Prescott-based chip. When reading the wiki I, I came across this line, though:

Quote:
Frequency scaling on a pentium4 will actually not decrease the amount of power consumed apparently, but will reduce the heat output

My first thought was that wouldn't a decrease in heat mean less energy consumed, since heat=energy? I know that energy can exist in other forms as well, but nothing else really changes physically other than a decrease in heat. So can I expect to see my desktop drawing less power with throttling enabled (using the ondemand governor) than with it disabled? I believe that using it "drops" my CPU speed from 3ghz down to 375mhz

Also, what's the difference between CPU scaling and CPU throttling?

Heat energy is directly proportional to electrical energy in CPUs, heat is a by-product of semi-conduction properties of them. So the less heat that's built up and being dissipated by a CPU, means less energy consumed. Throttling the back FSB means a lower clock frequency, which means less energy consumed (assuming the voltage is appropriately reduced with it).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: