Audacious sound quality is totally 3rd class
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arnuld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Audacious sound quality is totally 3rd class Reply with quote

so finally XMMS was removed :-( and hence i found i had to use Audacious, so i give it a try to listen to my "ogg" files. HECK, i get totally 3rd class sound from it. even "ogg123" plays with better sound quality. XINE's sound quality is good too. any way to get better sound quality from Audacious ?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you have the right sound pluggins.... do you use ALSA ?

The a config menu to set the output pluggins...maybe you are stuck with the oss pluggins.
ssokolow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Audacious sound quality is totally 3rd class Reply with quote

arnuld wrote:
so finally XMMS was removed :-( and hence i found i had to use Audacious, so i give it a try to listen to my "ogg" files. HECK, i get totally 3rd class sound from it. even "ogg123" plays with better sound quality. XINE's sound quality is good too. any way to get better sound quality from Audacious ?

Sorry. Can't help you. I've tried to induce that kind of problem (out of curiosity) and failed. Audacious has always been the best audio playback tool I've had.
der_dude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Audacious sound quality is totally 3rd class Reply with quote

arnuld wrote:
HECK, i get totally 3rd class sound from it.

Same problem over here - using alsa.
ssokolow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Audacious sound quality is totally 3rd class Reply with quote

der_dude wrote:
arnuld wrote:

And I'm using ALSA with no problems. PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)
der_dude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Audacious sound quality is totally 3rd class Reply with quote

ssokolow wrote:
der_dude wrote:
arnuld wrote:

And I'm using ALSA with no problems. PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

Perhaps you could post the USE-Flags your audacious is built with ... ?
ssokolow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Audacious sound quality is totally 3rd class Reply with quote

der_dude wrote:
ssokolow wrote:
der_dude wrote:
arnuld wrote:

Perhaps you could post the USE-Flags your audacious is built with ... ?

At the moment, I'm pulling from the subversion repo using modified versions of the most recent ebuilds, but ever since I first discovered Audacious back around version 0.1.2, it's worked perfectly audio-quality wise. Have you tried turning down your system's mixer levels (alsamixer or amixer should do it) and double-checking that you don't have some messed up equalizer preset active in Audacious?

Anyway, here are the flags I'm using.

media-plugins/audacious-plugins: aac adplug alsa esd flac jack mad modplug musepack nls opengl oss sid sndfile timidity tta vorbis wavpack wma
media-plugins/audacious-plugins-ugly: cube iris libnotify mplayer nls
media-sound/audacious: nls

Please note that I've tried releases with and without the chardet USE flag, and with current SVN, chardet is no longer optional. That's why it's not in the list of USE flags I'm using.
der_dude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for your help.

I rebuilt the packages and changed the plugin configs. The quality is much better now, but xmms still makes the best out of the presets.
ssokolow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

der_dude wrote:
Thx for your help.

I rebuilt the packages and changed the plugin configs. The quality is much better now, but xmms still makes the best out of the presets.

Possibly. I've never bothered with the equalizer. On the other hand, XMMS's equalizer is a mess inside and only works with certain plugins.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: