View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msncookie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Logging in after gnome 2.16.3 emerge sets wrong resolution Reply with quote

I run dual-head with ati-drivers. I just emerged gnome 2.6.13 and ati-drivers 8.35.5. Now whenever I log into gnome or kde, the dual-head dimensions get reset to just one screen's worth (1680x1050 instead of the correct 3360x1200). The problem only happens upon logging in, as the login splash screen is the correct dimension. So, I feel that Xorg is not the problem.

I've tried both gdm and kdm in /etc/conf.d/xdm.

I don't know what could have changed since the gnome emerge. Once I manually set the correct dimensions with xrandr, all is well. Does anyone know why the system would revert to a lower screen dimension upon logging in?

Thanks
Abraxas
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is the resolution setting in gnome/kde. Check what it is set at under System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution in gnome.
msncookie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting the resolution in gnome/kde is effectively the same as setting it with xrandr. I can fix it when logged in, but the setting is lost on the next login.

This is pretty frustrating since it's not happening until xdm login, so Xorg seems normal and shows nothing in Xorg.0.log. As I mentioned, the splash login screen is the correct 3360x1200 (dual-head), but as soon as I log in, the entire desktop switches down to 1680x1050 (the size of my screen 1), effectively disabling dual-head.

Does anyone know WHAT would muck with the desktop size during X login? This JUST started after emerging the latest stable gnome 2.16.3. I've tried gdm and kdm with the same results.

Thank you!
msncookie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, nothing is what it seems. Apologies for misleading any potential reader, but this turned out to be a glitch with the ati-drivers emerge, not gnome. The location of the aticonfig binary was moved to /opt/bin/ which messed up an Xorg init script I'm using (which must run at login time). The script is supposed to set the desktop size based on whether I have an external monitor attached. With aticonfig missing, the script was bombing out and not setting the desktop appropriately.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: