View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demidrol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: WindowMaker analog Reply with quote

Please tell me if there is a window manager similar to WM (i mean the style of menus - windows with buttons that do not disappear when they are not in focus). I do need it because WM seems to be neither supported nor developed now((
P.S. sorry for my English - I'm just studing
sandwichfeet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is any use to you, but I've just gone through the same process after using WindowMaker solidly for about five years and for similar reasons (lack of updates, no mailing list anymore, no one else seems to use it etc,.).

I tried all the *boxes, xfce and others, but never really liked them, largely because the menus didn't feel as solid as wmaker and the title bars didn't look as good. Some came close, but not close enough and I always switched back.

Anyway, I've settled on wmii and dmenu for the past few weeks and no looking back so far; dmenu has washed all my program launching fears away. The only things I really miss are wmnetload, wmacpi-load and the likes (still playing with conky). Well... that and the fact it doesn't look as good as wmaker!

a fellow (ex-)wm blowhard
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to emulate WMaker with FVWM, it is very customizable, and I don't think that emulating the behaviour of the menus or the bindings will be complicated. Additionally, the wmaker and afterstep applets can be swallowed into FvwmButtons, and play nicely with them.

You need to be prepared to learn a bit about Fvwm and read quite a few man pages, though.
demidrol
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you, i'll try this!
P.S. FWVM has much trouble with Unicode, so installation will be non-trivial(i use utf-8)((
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you have my Fvwm from CVS overlay:

http://jesgue.homelinux.org/fvwm-files/fvwm-cvs-overlay.tar.bz2

The ebuild can apply some patches, you can use emerge -pv fvwm once you have the overlay set up to see the available USE flags. Enable USE="default-charset-fix" to enable a patch that *should* fix those issues. All those patches are non oficial, and neither of them are mine, but the the newtest one, I just clean some of them so they can be applied against latest CVS without trouble.

With that patch enabled, I have no problem with those locales: es_ES.uft8 and en_US.utf8. Some people reported success on de, fr, pt and nl locales with utf8 enabled as well. If the config files are saved in utf8 encoding (they should in your case by default), you will have no problem.
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking for an alternative to WindowMaker. I have tried xfce, but I find it less usable. I miss that you could have different application icons for different desktops (attaching them to the clip). Then, for example, in my desktop "mail" I had the kontact icon, and in my desktop "internet" I had my firefox and konqueror.

I work with different virtual desktops at the same time (configuration, mail, work, web, console, games). When I got into the desktop I click on the applications I use in that desktop (attached to the clip) so usually I do not have to enter any menus. Personally, I do not see the point in having different 'virtual' desktops looking the same.

Do you know of a window manager that allow to have different configurations for different virtual desktops?

Cheers!
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mimosinnet wrote:
I am also looking for an alternative to WindowMaker. I have tried xfce, but I find it less usable. I miss that you could have different application icons for different desktops (attaching them to the clip). Then, for example, in my desktop "mail" I had the kontact icon, and in my desktop "internet" I had my firefox and konqueror.

I don't exactly know how the clip works, so I am not sure how good the emulation would be. However, fvwm has two modules that might be of interest to you.

FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan. Both of them can be spawned as many times as you want, with different configurations. FvwmIconMan is basically a taskbar, but it is very configurable. So, you can have one FvwmIconMan on one page or desktop with certain applications on it and another in any other place with a different configuration. I never tried this, but I know it is possible.

The same goes for FvwmButtons, which can be used for many purposes. It's basic functionality is to work like a button launcher. But you can also use it to swallow small applications (if you are used to window maker you will find this very convenient to embed dockapps) or even to embed other fvwm modules, like FvwmIconMan, FvwmPager or FvwmScript. You can also have many different instances of it running. You could define a global FvwmButtons to hold the dockapps and make it sticky (so you can see it in all the desktops) and then define some more panels to have different launchers in every page, in case that is what you want/need.
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan. Both of them can be spawned as many times as you want, with different configurations. FvwmIconMan is basically a taskbar, but it is very configurable. So, you can have one FvwmIconMan on one page or desktop with certain applications on it and another in any other place with a different configuration. I never tried this, but I know it is possible.

Thanks a lot!!! I have looked at the man pages of FvwmButtons and FvwmIconMan, and they have an option:

Code:
show            list of windows to show

I'll get fvmw in my "to do" list.

I have also found that fluxbox also has this option by using fluxspace:
Code:
Add per-workspace desktop icons and panels to Fluxbox by integrating tools like Rox Filer and Idesk.
Decorate each workspace with different wallpaper.
Manage your startup applications.
Automatically start and stop applets as you enter and leave workspaces, allowing each workspace to have its own unique tools and dockapps.

Cheers!
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to have different virtual desktops with different icons I can launch applications from (I like to avoid menus).

I have been able to achieve this with fluxbox + fluxspace + rox, having a different rox panel in each desktop with some applications to launch. I had to follow this thread to be able to get fluxspace working. Although I have been able to get a similar effect, I find WindowMaker more elegant.

Then I have then tried fvwm. I have not managed to get this feature yet (I have just been able to get a taskbar with a menu), but I like the possibility of having a full configurable desktop, so I'll keep trying. I will like to thank i92guboj for the suggestion; I will have a busy summer holiday :wink: !

Cheers!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: