Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Working trick to bypass PreInitDAL error w/ new ati-drivers!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Working trick to bypass PreInitDAL error w/ new ati-drivers! Reply with quote

Howto get a working framebuffer and the new ati-drivers working?

To get past the PreInitDAL error with >ati-drivers-8.27.10 run 'vbetool vgamode' right before you start X...

I launch it right before I start gdm... you will see your display get all garbled but once X starts (and it actually does) your framebuffer will go back to looking normal....

I hope this helps you all!!

EDIT: technically I have only tested this with the 8.33.6 driver and a 2.6.19.3 kernel but it should still work for other verisons
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Hey this worked! Reply with quote

This worked for me, thanks. What is a good way to have this automatically happen on boot?

EDIT: Well, I am sure there is a neater way to do this but I made my own init script.

/etc/init.d/vbemode
Code:
#!/sbin/runscript

start() {
   ebegin "Starting vbetool to workaround ati-drivers/framebuffer/2.6.22 error"
   vbetool vgamode &
   eend 0
}

make it executable
Code:
chmod +x /etc/init.d/vbemode

and add the following to /etc/init.d/xdm in the depend() function
Code:
need vbemode

and finally:
Code:
rc-update add vbemode default

Yes it is hacky and yes you will need to watch /etc/init.d/xdm in case portage tries to update it but... it works!

ps. this is with ati-drivers 8.38.6 and it works with uvesafb.
emailer33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: PreInitDAL failed on binary ati-drivers Reply with quote

I've been reading through a lot of posts on the cause of this, but none of the fixes have helped me.

I have an AMD64 build, 2.6.23-r3 kernel, ati-drivers 8.443.1-r1 with VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" (I would like 3d support with my Radeon 9850). I do not have framebuffer support built into the kernel.

When I start X, it errors with

(II) fglrx(0): End of Display2 EDID data --------------------
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInitDAL failed

right after dumping the EDID data. I found that it is my LCD it doesn't like, for when I unplug it X works, but only outputs on the plugged in monitor (LCD is blank once plugged back in).

I've tried using NoDDC and IgnoreEDID options to no avail, I don't know what else to do.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above post here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
emailer33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for merging the posts, but unfortunately for me, the above post did not help me.

After adding keywords for vbetool and libx86, and running vbetool vgamode returns "Function not supported".

While my screen does go black now, I run X while ssh'd in, and i still get
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInitDAL failed

Can anyone else help me with making this LCD work?
blotto
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably same as me , the newest drivers dont like resolutions of 1680x1050 which my 22" LCD uses.

The problem is documented oin the release notes - known problems !!

Have not seen any work arounds yet except go back to 8.40.4'
Nethemas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Try 8.433 Reply with quote

I just discovered the PreInitDAL fun. The Xorg.0.log file claims that the 1680x1050 res is a "Supported Future Video Mode" whatever that's supposed to mean. On my notebook--with a Mobility x1700--the 8.443 variants will force me into 1280x1024 but will still start X. On my workstation my x850PRO gives me the fun PreInitDAL message. Both use DPMS to identify the monitor's supported modes. Has anyone tried to manually configure their monitor rather than relying on autodetect?

In any case you should be able to successfully use x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.433 I am at least...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: