video playback distortion problem under all players
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeugler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: video playback distortion problem under all players Reply with quote

hi everybody,

i have a strange video playback problem. some videos have horizontal stripes on the right side of the picture. some videos only have them in windowed mode, they disappear when i switch to fullscreen. some videos have no problems at all, i think all the mpg videos work fine. with the other videos i didn't find a system, which play correct and which won't. i did not have this problem all the time but i can't remember if it first occured after upgrading my kernel or upgrading xorg or anything else. it occurs under all players (mplayer,xine,vlc,totem), it doesn't occur, if i put in a live cd of any linux distribution, so it should definitely be solveable, but i have no clue where to start....
any hints would be appreciated

my system:
kernel 2.18-r2
matrox g400 (i tried both, kernels with matrox support and without it)
if you want more information, ask for it.

greetings
äugler
hede
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tried different video output drivers with mplayer? "-vo x11" should work even if accelerated output is buggy.
Use "mplayer -vo help" at the command line to get a list of supported drivers.
aeugler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i tried all the available ones. "-vo x11" does work without the distortion but does not scale to fullscreen. That means, when i go to fullscreen mode, the picture stays at original size and the rest of the screen just gets black.
The options "-vo mga" or "-vo xmga" do not work, because the device "/dev/mga_vid" does not exist.
hede
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeugler wrote:
yes, i tried all the available ones. "-vo x11" does work without the distortion but does not scale to fullscreen. That means, when i go to fullscreen mode, the picture stays at original size and the rest of the screen just gets black.

Yes, that's because x11-output does not support hardware scaler. you have to use software scaler (-vf scale / -sws) (see mplayer manual). Unfortunately the software scaler needs more CPU-resources.
aeugler wrote:

The options "-vo mga" or "-vo xmga" do not work, because the device "/dev/mga_vid" does not exist.

sorry, I have no experience with matrox.
Maybe this helps you (seems your kernel needs matrox support and the device has to be created):
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/output-trad.html
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a output option for matrox in man mplayer, it was pretty well down toward the bottom of the beast of a manual tho.
aeugler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the hints, i tried "-vo x11" with softwarescaling and it works, but is too slow for my machine. i finally also got the matrox mga_vid driver to work. i had to download it from http://attila.kinali.ch/mga/ and compile the module by myself. now it seems to work in fullscreen mode, i still have distortion in windowed playback, but after switching to fullscreen, everything works fine so far.

this is better than before, but yet not perfect, since all other video players don't work correctly and i only have a clear picture in fullscreen. i'm still wondering what's the cause of the problem. anyway, it seems to be a problem of the hardware unspecific accelerated video playback, thats a point to start from. i will do some research by myself, but if anybody has any ideas, i'd still be happy to hear them :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: