Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anybody else but me missing a bit of LDAP-stuff in Portage?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stig
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Anybody else but me missing a bit of LDAP-stuff in Portage? Reply with quote

I've been missing something like non-gui-editors and stuff that enables you to present results of LDAP searches on the web. I've been working to get LDAP up running for a while now - maybe I should write a tutorial :roll:
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't found much software on the web when I installed my server 6 months ago. The best I found were directory administrator and gq, both are in portage.

Do you talk about specific packages not in porage or software missing in general ?
stig
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:

Do you talk about specific packages not in porage or software missing in general ?

At first I was talking about portage, but today I'm talking about software missing i general :)
I've read the manual at openldap.org, but there is still a million "how?", "why?" and "wtf?" in my head :)
Phlaegel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find that I needed very much software when I set up openldap a couple of weeks ago. The LDAP editor/browser I use is here. It's a java app that works quite nicely on Linux and Windows. Other than that, I think all I needed (all of these are in portage) was openldap, nss-ldap, pam-ldap, and to make sure ldap was in my USE flags so the other software I used had support compiled in (cyrus-imapd, postfix, samba). I'm also using ldapdns to serve some local domains. It all works very smoothly, and I'm quite impressed for my first LDAP setup. :) I've got all my user accounts in LDAP, with systems authenticating against the directory, my /etc/hosts is in LDAP now, /etc/services as well. Apache authenticates using mod_auth_ldap too. I haven't set up samba yet due to a lack of time, but it'll be using LDAP as well.

I had two main problems, one was understanding LDAP to begin with, since I had never used it before (it's all so simple now...), and the other was configuring SASL in order to use Cyrus. But then, SASL is a pain no matter what.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: