Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New OSX install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattlant
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: New OSX install Reply with quote

Well, i have been a gentoo user for years, and I love it. So when I got an x86 Mac I decided to give prefix portage on OSX a try.

WOW!

I had a couple issues while building the system which i resolved easily thanks to my regular Gentoo Linux experience.

First thing I tried was mplayer. I figured this would be a good first test since it uses video/sound. Well, I emerged it with no errors, and then...

$ mplayer /path/to/some/file

Wow, works Perfect!

So, since this forum is not very active, I am wondering, anyone else using portage on OSX? If so what kind of experiences are others having, i 'd like to hear it, because theres so much I want to try with this now that the base system is up and working.

Matt
NoRedShadow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Use the Mailing List Reply with quote

You should check out the mailing list: gentoo-alt@gentoo.org because there is a lot more activity there.
I'm using portage on OS X x86 and ppc.
roberts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In its current incarnation, the project has its limitations on OSX which make the project for OSX as such incomplete. Embraced by the Gentoo/Alt project these limitations are recognised and being worked on with the purpose of finding a satisfying solution in the long run.

Currently there is no official installer for Gentoo for Mac OS X. :wink:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: