Well, my weekend project is done
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thezombiehunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Well, my weekend project is done Reply with quote

I decided to install gentoo this weekend, I tried installing it 2 other times but failed, this was months back. So I decided to try it anyway this time and no suprise, it worked.

The parts I got stuck on I searched on the forums, it solved most of them but the rest I just fixed on my own.

I think my major sucess was instead of following the guide word for word, I decided to try other things if it didin't work. Infact I skipped a few major things in the guide - such as the use flags, so I know im going to have to fix that later. But on the positive side, Kde is running.

I have learned more about linux from gentoo then any other system - that doesn't say much though, I started out with suse and then used ubuntu and kubuntu.

My question however, is why do people find gentoo so hard to install? granted on the last two installs I was fusterated out of my mind, and gave up. this time however I actually enjoyed it... any idea on whats up with that?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.

Glad you managed to install Gentoo. The first time I installed it, I also had difficulties. I would say most of the reason is a lack of understanding of how the pieces in a GNU/Linux system fit together, especially hardware support (for making your own kernel).
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Well, my weekend project is done Reply with quote

thezombiehunter wrote:
I decided to install gentoo this weekend, I tried installing it 2 other times but failed, this was months back. So I decided to try it anyway this time and no suprise, it worked.

The parts I got stuck on I searched on the forums, it solved most of them but the rest I just fixed on my own.

I think my major sucess was instead of following the guide word for word, I decided to try other things if it didin't work. Infact I skipped a few major things in the guide - such as the use flags, so I know im going to have to fix that later. But on the positive side, Kde is running.

Yay! well done, and welcome to paradise. No longer will you have to reinstall every few months to get the latest software, nor spend the intervening time running old stuff. As for use flags, an emerge -uDN world will take care of that. (Or try this script :D)
Quote:
I have learned more about linux from gentoo then any other system - that doesn't say much though, I started out with suse and then used ubuntu and kubuntu.

My question however, is why do people find gentoo so hard to install? granted on the last two installs I was fusterated out of my mind, and gave up. this time however I actually enjoyed it... any idea on whats up with that?

Just think back to how ya felt.. lol actually I just did an install for a mate, and came across a weird problem with the old root device bad superblock error; turned out grub doesn't like symlinks! wtf?!
The Unknown
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! :D
I use emerge -puDN world.it tells you the USE flags each packages use,you than can review it find out what USE flags you need/want.
Also there are a few different tools out there to help editing your USE flags,I use one called ufed.
chrismcdirty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do an emerge --info, look at all the useflags that I don't need/want that are set by default, and remove them. But, I suppose, it would be much easier to set your use flags like USE="-* X kde gnome" if I don't like the defaults.
thezombiehunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick question:

"# lsmod | grep nvidia && rmmod nvidia"

How do I make the thing in the middle that looks like a l... I feel so stupid right now

One last thing, how do I scroll up on a terminal like xterm, because im getting annoyed at seeing only half a printout :P[/quote]
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thezombiehunter wrote:
How do I make the thing in the middle that looks like a l
One last thing, how do I scroll up on a terminal like xterm, because im getting annoyed at seeing only half a printout :P

The "|" (called a pipe) is a "capital" backslash. It may be a dashed vertical line on your keyboard, but it's the same thing.

Scrolling up is done with Shift+PgUp.
thezombiehunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, how would I go about installing 32bit librarys for my 64bit system? I like having both.
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge the packages listed here: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=emul-linux. You can pick and choose, of course.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thezombiehunter wrote:
Alright, how would I go about installing 32bit librarys for my 64bit system? I like having both.

There's no need unless you have software which requires 32-bit libraries. And if you install such software from portage, it'll automatically pull in the right packages.
thezombiehunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no need unless you have software which requires 32-bit libraries. And if you install such software from portage, it'll automatically pull in the right packages.

I do have software that requires it, and its not in portage. My main concern with this though is how do I make it so I need to put in a command to run 32bit libraries?
IQgryn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thezombiehunter wrote:
My main concern with this though is how do I make it so I need to put in a command to run 32bit libraries?

Sorry...what does that mean??
thezombiehunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I said, I would like to add a command needed to run 32bit applications on my 64bit system, so lets say 32emul name.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't need them. Just enable ia32 emulation in-kernel (Enabled by Default) and make sure your profile is multilib and you should be able to run them transparently provided you have the emul-linux-* emerged. If you got the x86 program through emerge it should already have them.
thezombiehunter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Shouldn't need them. Just enable ia32 emulation in-kernel (Enabled by Default) and make sure your profile is multilib and you should be able to run them transparently provided you have the emul-linux-* emerged. If you got the x86 program through emerge it should already have them."

Oh, I know I don't need them. I would just like to have it so I know im not running any 32bit applications if I don't authorize them. Think of it as a project.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: