Radeon Primary & Secondary vs VGA, DVI-D, DVI-A & TV Out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitnick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Radeon Primary & Secondary vs VGA, DVI-D, DVI-A & TV Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused about how TV out and dual head works on my Radeon X800 (R420) card.

1) Xorg.0.log shows that two devices are detected:
Code:
PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc R420 JI [Radeon X800PRO] rev 0
and
Code:
PCI: (1:0:1) ATI Technologies Inc unknown chipset (0x4a69) rev 0

It then warns that no matching device sections were found for the second device, PCI:1:0:1. This is not so strange since I don't have any such device section in my xorg.xconf at the moment, but I have played with this before and never managed to get this device detected.

If I understand correctly the two different devices correspond somehow to the two monitor outputs on my card (VGA & DVI) -- as indicated here for example: { "ATI Radeon X800 PRO Secondary", "R420", 0x4A69 } -- but then things get difficult, because...

2) On PCI:1:0:0 two devices (or screens?) are detected:
Code:

(II) RADEON(0): Primary:
 Monitor   -- CRT
 Connector -- VGA
 DAC Type  -- Primary
 TMDS Type -- NONE
 DDC Type  -- DVI_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
 Monitor   -- NONE
 Connector -- DVI-I
 DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
 TMDS Type -- Internal
 DDC Type  -- MONID

3) Now, using xf86-video-ati-6.6.3 with Gatos patch for modular Xorg (found here), I do get some TV output, but only garbage. I'm quite sure the TV out connector gets the same signals as my VGA connected monitor; when I change the resolution on my desktop, the garbage on my TV changes "pace" so to speak (changes from almost random garbage, to static but rolling garbage, to different kind of rolling garbage depending on resolution). I added a PAL modeline, but X refuses to change to it since it is not supported by my monitor.

And finally, to confuse things even more:

4) I know it is technically possible to have a high resolution image (1024x768) on my VGA output, and watch the same image nicely scaled to fit my PAL TV. (It works on Windows :roll: ). With something called "Theater mode" enabled, the card even make sure that as soon as I use the hardware overlay to watch video/films, the TV shows a fullscreen image of the film, even though it is windowed on my desktop. This is very nice.

5) The Radeon manual also claims two analog monitors (TV included) can be connected at the same time, with the overlay shown either on the primary display, or on both primary and secondary displays, and then with a choice of either windowed or fullscreen mode on the secondary display. (This is for the windows driver.)

I'd really like to know what's going on, especially with my PCI:0/1 and primary/secondary confusion. For a while I thought that PCI:1:0:1 is only for DVI-D output, while the "Primary" device PCI:1:0:0 took care of all analog output. But this can't be, since it's possible to get DVI-D output from the boot process, which is not supported on the secondary device according to ATI's manual.

Anyone? :)

Arvid
bitnick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really no one who know and care to explain this?

(I changed the subject, perhaps this description is better.)

Arvid
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: