Got stuck at emerge portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaspacho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Got stuck at emerge portage Reply with quote

Hi there, Im installing gentoo from netinstall - using links in other terminal to view the online documentation. Everything went fine (already tried 2 times) but every time I try there is one thing where I get stuck. The emerge portage command.

I takes soooo looooong and it never finishes cause everytime it just stops and I dont know why. Is there a way to make it faster? Something that might be helpful:

Got nc6120 HP laptop with pentium M processor. Settings in my CFLAGS:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium-m -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -pipe"

I think the problem might be that it takes so long and that the HDD turns itself off after some time but not sure. Anyone with help please?

PS: I think I did everything before emerge portage correctly.
Gaspacho is offline Reply With Quote
Pallokala
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Does Portage give you some error message or how do you know that it has stopped?
If you are doing fresh install, remove -funroll-loops from the CFLAGS-section. It might have something to do with your problems.

It does not matter if hard disk turns off. You can usually control that functionality in BIOS.

Anyways, portage is slow and notebooks usually have slow hard disks, which make it even slower.

How long is "long" time for you?

I hope these help you!
Gaspacho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Hello well thx for reply! no it doesnt give any error message and thats strange! Ok I will try to reinstall without that option, well I started with that command at 2:00 am and when I got up at 6:33 it was still running, is that normal? Well it wasnt running it was at the same line for like 10 minutes - is that normal too? Thx for help
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is not normal. A 586 laptop would have gotten it done much quicker than that. But we'll need more information about the state of the computer.

is it functioning regularly, other than `emerge portage` never getting done? That is, can you still use links in the other terminal? If so, why not run top on a third terminal to see what kind of resource consumption goes on? the first few lines will be something like
Code:
Tasks:  87 total,   1 running,  86 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.7% us,  0.2% sy,  0.0% ni, 98.6% id,  0.1% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.4% si
Mem:   1027332k total,   379860k used,   647472k free,    72552k buffers
Swap:   987956k total,        0k used,   987956k free,   145128k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND           
    1 root      18   0  2664  596  504 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.22 init               
    2 root      34  19     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ksoftirqd/0       
    3 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.11 events/0           
    4 root      11  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khelper           
    5 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthread           

organized by CPU usage. You can see at that top couple of lines that my computer isn't doing anything. It's just sitting there idling 98.6% of the time. If your computer were still working, I would expect some other programs to be in there too, and CPU utilization to be higher.

Portage doesn't require any compiling, as far as I know, and should be limited primarily by hard disk speed on any but the slowest of computers in use today. That includes yours. It shouldn't take longer than a few minutes. Please post the exact last line that comes up during the emerge, if you don't mind. In fact, why not post several of the last lines on that terminal? I am curious to see them.
Quote:

If you are doing fresh install, remove -funroll-loops from the CFLAGS-section. It might have something to do with your problems.

Doesn't -O2 do this automatically? I don't think -- in fact I can pretty much guarantee, since your CFLAGS have not effected emerge yet, and possibly never will (it's not a C program) -- that this is not the case. Even if you've already rebuilt your base system (and therefore basic system utilities emerge may use) i don't think this will do much but waste your time. Instead, let's try to get to the bottom of this emerge not working. Please, please don't start reinstalling from scratch!!! there's probably nothing wrong with your halfway-built system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: