SATA problem with GA-VM900M
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KryNx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: SATA problem with GA-VM900M Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trying to get gentoo setup on a new machine I just got for work, it has a Gigabyte GA-VM900M Motherboard, but unfortunately the livecd isn't detecting the SATA hdd.
lspci shows it has a:
00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A SATA 2-Port Controller (rev 80)
sata controller, but sata_via is not loaded on boot, so I've tried modprobing that, however it still shows no drives, and there are no new entires when I do a dmesg.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I need to get this up and running to use as a partimaged server for a whole bunch of new machines that I need to get setup within the next couple of days, and unfortunately while I've got a damn nice gentoo server running, its an Athlon64 X2, and partimage is masked for x64 (presumably for good reason, but I don't really want to try manual unmasking in case it does cause problems, as the server is mission-critical).
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a live CD with a newer kernel can help: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-494931-highlight.html

FF,

Daniel
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a similar discussion at New Gentoo installation on SATA HD and this post shows that the device "VT8237A SATA 2-Port Controller" with vendor id/device id 1106:0591should be supported by sata_via (the post is wrong in saying it isn't supported, it's the first entry in the table for sata_via.c in 2.6.17-gentoo-r7).

But, nevertheless, a number of posters are having problems.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the record, what version of kernel does 'uname -a' give you?

A brief synopsis of the previous posts' links (and there are several) follows.

======================================================================
Does the LiveCD lack support for your hardware?
Some gentoo liveCDs may not support newer hardware. Usually, the liveCD supports enough of the hardware on a PC to get an updated system and kernel installed, but if the liveCD doesn't see the hard drive controller, for instance, or another integral piece of the system, it will not be possible to install the system.

A simple solution is to find a different boot CD, or put the hard drive onto which you wish to isntall into a different computer, which has a linux system with installed to it already. In either case, you will be able to complete the gentoo installation from a the working environment of a different distribution provided that environment supports what the liveCD does not, and

• has access to the hard drive
  • supports the partitions you wish to use
  • supplies the chroot command
  • is of the same CPU architecture

======================================================================
did I miss anything? If we can get this just a bit more organized perhaps its the kind of thing the gentoo weekly newsletteris looking for.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: