Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Cloning and maintaining Workstations via rsync?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnagl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Cloning and maintaining Workstations via rsync? Reply with quote

Hello!

I am planning to install Gentoo on some similar machines in a network. A great advantage using Linux and espacially Gentoo in this situation is of course that cloning one good installation with a well-planned reasonable configuration is no more than cp -a.

Now my question: As the software equipment on the machines should stay permanently the same while user configuration and /etc-configuration might differ a lot (except /etc/profile, /etc/portage/*, /etc/make.conf) - would it be possible to update all the machines by simply rsyncing all directories except /home and /etc (and /tmp of course) from one machine where the emerge -u runs are executed or are there any drawbacks or potential problems with this method?

Does probably anyone has experience with maintaining a number of user-workstations under gentoo? Are there any best-practice-rules? Any ideas? I think this is an important step on the way to Linux(/Gentoo) on the Desktop - especially considering companies.

Matthias
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you will have to update /etc files too, the rsync will not suffice. And I dont know what happens if the file you want to overwrite is currently in use.

My solution was, build updates on one machine with emerge -b and install on the other machines with emerge -k. For the changes in /etc/ you have to do an etc-update on one machine. exclude hand edited and machine dependent files. Make an archive of the changed files and distribute them to the other machines. Delete the non needed update files on the other machines. The hand edited and machine dependent files have to be treated seperately, most can be handled by some small sed scripts or similar.

For 2 or 3 machines this may be overkill, but try running to 200 or more machines and you will gladly hack for an hour next time. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: