Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Sabayon == Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Phenax
l33t
l33t


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 972

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Phenax wrote:
If I understand this correctly
No, you don't understand correctly. Go back and read my posts. If you are unclear about something specific, I'll try to clarify.


What is differentiates Sabayon from giving my friend a custom-built Gentoo installer, with some of my prebuilt packages & configs?

All I see is this:
pjp wrote:
occ wrote:
I wouldn't call it 'wasted.
You should catch up on the rest of the thread... the whole point was that Sabayon is supposedly just an overlay for Gentoo. But thanks, as you just proved that it is not (and thus, all Sabayon support questions should be in OTW if they are going to be on the Gentoo Forums).

Which is just because the Sabayon install disk has their network drivers, and Gentoo's doesn't (Or isn't active).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
floffe
Guru
Guru


Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 414
Location: Linköping, Sweden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't ask questions about support for that custom-built live-CD in the support forums either... I'd look to see what's in the sabayon overlay, but the website doesn't load for me. If there are toolchain/base system packages that differ from gentoo, you probably wouldn't get (official) support if you had trouble with patched such either (at least it'd be closed INVALID in bugzilla).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrscotty99
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Posts: 8
Location: live oak, ca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: svn @ sabayon Reply with quote

http://svn.sabayonlinux.org/listing.php?repname=SL+Overlay&path=%2F&sc=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
funkyade
n00b
n00b


Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 33
Location: France (61)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Kororaa to setup my last box, which worked like a charm, and I could do -
Code:
# emerge --sync
# emerge -uD world

straight away after a 15 minute install... no overlays (apart from xgl-coffee, if that counts!) but a load of USE flags in make.conf...

I would also recommend Jackass! if you want to get an up-to-date stage3 to work from.

Anyway, does this mean that if I don't follow the 'handbook' to the letter I am not using Gentoo?

all the same, I much prefer a stage 1 install ;-)

EDIT (for clarity and compensation for red-wine induced sentence mangling)...


Last edited by funkyade on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lxnay
Developer
Developer


Joined: 09 Apr 2004
Posts: 661
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just only say "gentoo howtos and tutorials on doc.gentoo.org and www.gentoo-wiki.org apply perfectly to Sabayon Linux". Because it is.
Sabayon Linux Project Managers never asked for an official support. We don't need that, we support our users in complete autonomy.
_________________
http://www.sabayon.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chickpea23
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tell um lxnay!!

We have never been encouraged to lie on ANY support forums concerning what distro we use. (I use Sabayon).

We are not leeching off of your precious forums, we have our own damn forums that work just fine. Just like you would be a fool to ONLY ask questions about your Ubuntu install on the Ubuntu forum and never go to the Debian forum, you would be a FOOL to not avail yourself of the Gentoo forums/wikis if you use a flavor of Gentoo. Nobody is asking in the gentoo forums how to get the fancy sabayon suse-style kicker, why because it obviously has nothing to do with Gentoo proper. However, if I were having an issue with a certain application (take gimp for example) if I posted about it here would I not be entitled to support? I run a gentoo system. I got gimp from the regular portage tree, not an overlay and if it borks for some various reason not related to the overlay, why wouldn't this forum be a source of information/support? General questions concerning the Gentoo system can be addressed here as well as in the Sabayon forums.

So if we are not allowed to view your forums/wikis don't you dare look at our forums our download the acceleration helpers from our overlays! :P And don't you dare post about getting Beryl to work. :twisted:

From what I can tell, there are a lot of ruffled feathers here because lxnay has gone off on his own and made something very popular in very short order, that installs on 98% of all platforms the first time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 10 Jan 2004
Posts: 1204

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kondor wrote:
I see. That is very interesting and clear. Thank you! I'd like to learn from Sabayon how the system configures many things like auto-mounting a usb key or plugging and unplugging a network cable and recognizing it automatically.
Systems that do these things make me tear my hair out. Try diagnosing something that won't stop $!^#ing with the hardware for a split second because of the friggin' automount...
_________________
Petition for Better 64-bit ATI Drivers - Sign Here
http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baaann
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jan 2006
Posts: 499
Location: uk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickpea23 wrote:


Nobody is asking in the gentoo forums how to get the fancy sabayon suse-style kicker


http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-523567.html :P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kondor
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corona688 wrote:
Try diagnosing something that won't stop $!^#ing with the hardware for a split second because of the friggin' automount...


Well, I think the GUI is nice to have!!! I think the eye candy from Sabayon is very nice and well done and I'm curious to know how they've done it.

I installed Sabayon last weekend and noticed that the make.conf had the "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86" turned on. I commented that out and also the link to Sabayon's overlay, but then when I wanted to update my system using "emerge -uD world" I had many problems.

Probably it is not so simple to get from Sabayon to Gentoo. (Would it be like going from Ubunto to Debian?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 2915
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be great if some of the work on sabayon got rolled back into gentoo, for instance a better live disk and installer. That doesn't change the main objective of sabayon as a version of gentoo with all the graphical effects, and would be a real contribution back to the mother distro.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
96140
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 1324

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
It'd be great if some of the work on sabayon got rolled back into gentoo, for instance a better live disk and installer. That doesn't change the main objective of sabayon as a version of gentoo with all the graphical effects, and would be a real contribution back to the mother distro.

I disagree. Each installer does what it needs to do. The installer for 2007.0 is being completely redesigned; it won't be the one you've used for the past two releases. Oh, and here's part of the /topic for #gentoo-installer, from back in November:
Quote:
|| we cannot offer support for RR4, see their forum instead

Why? Because they've had problems with so many non-Gentoo users coming and asking for help with something that is not Gentoo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 4791
Location: 2 exits past crazy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
I disagree. Each installer does what it needs to do. The installer for 2007.0 is being completely redesigned; it won't be the one you've used for the past two releases

When you say, "you've used for the past two releases", I assume you are talking to the three people whose partitions weren't destroyed by it....

:lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
96140
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 1324

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
I disagree. Each installer does what it needs to do. The installer for 2007.0 is being completely redesigned; it won't be the one you've used for the past two releases

When you say, "you've used for the past two releases", I assume you are talking to the three people whose partitions weren't destroyed by it....

:lol:

Heh. Possibly. I don't use it myself, but that's because I prefer the command-line approach, especially as that's the only way to do RAID installs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 2915
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
I disagree. Each installer does what it needs to do. The installer for 2007.0 is being completely redesigned; it won't be the one you've used for the past two releases.
Maybe not, but the sabayon live disk and installer clearly work to install a gentoo system, albeit one with custom package.mask/unmask and an overlay (on top of their own stage.) Not a great difference.
Quote:
Oh, and here's part of the /topic for #gentoo-installer, from back in November:
Quote:
|| we cannot offer support for RR4, see their forum instead

Why? Because they've had problems with so many non-Gentoo users coming and asking for help with something that is not Gentoo.
What does that have to do with feeding software back into gentoo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 13 May 2006
Posts: 1471
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
I disagree. Each installer does what it needs to do. The installer for 2007.0 is being completely redesigned; it won't be the one you've used for the past two releases.
Maybe not, but the sabayon live disk and installer clearly work to install a gentoo system, albeit one with custom package.mask/unmask and an overlay (on top of their own stage.) Not a great difference.

I think there is a great difference between the Gentoo-intstaller and the Sabayon-installer.
The Gentoo-installer tries to consider the philosophie of Gentoo.That means there is all about choice.He wants you to be able choosing all settings you need i.e. CFLAGS,KEYWORDS,MAKEOPTS,VARIABLES etc.He is imho a GUI for the old-fashioned method expecting you know what you want.

The Sabayon-installer copies more or less the preconfigured Gentoo containing on the livecd to harddisk.No chance to change any settings besides the location,filesystem etc.

On the other hand:I lost the faith that the Gentoo-installer someday will work trustworthy.As long as he doesn't he has nothing to be left at the install-cd.
_________________
Notes on Dhamma
How to waste your time: look for an explanation of consciousness, ask to know what feeling is. (Nanavira Thera)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kondor
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The installer for 2007.0 is being completely redesigned


Do you know when it will be available :?:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 1656
Location: England

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kondor wrote:
Quote:
The installer for 2007.0 is being completely redesigned


Do you know when it will be available :?:


When it's ready.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
And yet, reply you did....my, just look at that. Sabayon doesn't merit being supported, because it isn't Gentoo, plain and simple.

I don't use Sabayon, but I modify ebuilds and use various overlays. I also compile and setup a nice looking desktop. According to your standards I no longer run Gentoo? I'm assuming anyone that emerged layman shouldn't be supported either? I hope no one modifies their make.conf to stray from the march=athlon-xp example in the handbook.
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 2915
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john.doe wrote:
I think there is a great difference between the Gentoo-intstaller and the Sabayon-installer.
The Gentoo-installer tries to consider the philosophie of Gentoo.That means there is all about choice.He wants you to be able choosing all settings you need i.e. CFLAGS,KEYWORDS,MAKEOPTS,VARIABLES etc.He is imho a GUI for the old-fashioned method expecting you know what you want.

The Sabayon-installer copies more or less the preconfigured Gentoo containing on the livecd to harddisk.No chance to change any settings besides the location,filesystem etc.

On the other hand:I lost the faith that the Gentoo-installer someday will work trustworthy.As long as he doesn't he has nothing to be left at the install-cd.

Well I think having the preconfigured thing come in as a base is cool. It should be easy enough to automate setting up a stage 3 for example in a similar fashion to mandrake's installer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conan
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 360

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
nightmorph wrote:
And yet, reply you did....my, just look at that. Sabayon doesn't merit being supported, because it isn't Gentoo, plain and simple.

I don't use Sabayon, but I modify ebuilds and use various overlays. I also compile and setup a nice looking desktop. According to your standards I no longer run Gentoo? I'm assuming anyone that emerged layman shouldn't be supported either? I hope no one modifies their make.conf to stray from the march=athlon-xp example in the handbook.


You can not expect support from gentoo for packages you modified.
Likewise, you cannot expect support form gentoo if you have modified your toolchain.
Sabayon does both.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darken
n00b
n00b


Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006-03-16
Sabayon 3.3 released. Today I got it from a mirror and burned it on a DVD, the next minute, rebooting the PC and booting with the fresh DVD. 3.1 GB of software. A lot of options at boot time. I chose the default entry.
Then it started booting, and in the process it detected the sound card (Gentoo 2006.1 failed in that), then guess what? It detected my nvidia video card and loaded the correct drivers for it ( version 9755, the most recent in portage ).
After that, it started Xorg, with my beloved desktop manager, KDE, improved with the kickoff applet for kicker from Suse. A, I forgot to say that first it asked me about the hardware acceleration for the X server. I chose AIGL, and Beryl started, making my windows tremble like jelly :D.
As a first impression, it's a live dvd much more usable than Gentoo live cd (which uses Gnome, that at least on my last install was crashing repeatedly). It gives more confidence to a Gentoo beginner, by the fact that it's preconfigured and working well. And it's pretty fast I'd say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darken wrote:
2006-03-16
Sabayon 3.3 released. Today I got it from a mirror and burned it on a DVD, the next minute, rebooting the PC and booting with the fresh DVD. 3.1 GB of software. A lot of options at boot time. I chose the default entry.
Then it started booting, and in the process it detected the sound card (Gentoo 2006.1 failed in that), then guess what? It detected my nvidia video card and loaded the correct drivers for it ( version 9755, the most recent in portage ).
After that, it started Xorg, with my beloved desktop manager, KDE, improved with the kickoff applet for kicker from Suse. A, I forgot to say that first it asked me about the hardware acceleration for the X server. I chose AIGL, and Beryl started, making my windows tremble like jelly :D.
As a first impression, it's a live dvd much more usable than Gentoo live cd (which uses Gnome, that at least on my last install was crashing repeatedly). It gives more confidence to a Gentoo beginner, by the fact that it's preconfigured and working well. And it's pretty fast I'd say.


Very happy to hear that. So maybe one of my friend will try Sabayon to see if he is computer will handle Sabayon and after that if he can install his computer with the traditional install minimal CD with the Handbook.

In fact, you can check if your hardware will be compatible with any LiveCD .There is also Knoppix that can do the job too.
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
darken wrote:
2006-03-16
Sabayon 3.3 released. Today I got it from a mirror and burned it on a DVD, the next minute, rebooting the PC and booting with the fresh DVD. 3.1 GB of software. A lot of options at boot time. I chose the default entry.
Then it started booting, and in the process it detected the sound card (Gentoo 2006.1 failed in that), then guess what? It detected my nvidia video card and loaded the correct drivers for it ( version 9755, the most recent in portage ).
After that, it started Xorg, with my beloved desktop manager, KDE, improved with the kickoff applet for kicker from Suse. A, I forgot to say that first it asked me about the hardware acceleration for the X server. I chose AIGL, and Beryl started, making my windows tremble like jelly :D.
As a first impression, it's a live dvd much more usable than Gentoo live cd (which uses Gnome, that at least on my last install was crashing repeatedly). It gives more confidence to a Gentoo beginner, by the fact that it's preconfigured and working well. And it's pretty fast I'd say.


Very happy to hear that. So maybe one of my friend will try Sabayon to see if he is computer will handle Sabayon and after that if he can install his computer with the traditional install minimal CD with the Handbook.

In fact, you can check if your hardware will be compatible with any LiveCD .There is also Knoppix that can do the job too.

Would using the minimal CD make him cooler and smarter?
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
d2_racing
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 13046
Location: Ste-Foy,Canada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
d2_racing wrote:
darken wrote:
2006-03-16
Sabayon 3.3 released. Today I got it from a mirror and burned it on a DVD, the next minute, rebooting the PC and booting with the fresh DVD. 3.1 GB of software. A lot of options at boot time. I chose the default entry.
Then it started booting, and in the process it detected the sound card (Gentoo 2006.1 failed in that), then guess what? It detected my nvidia video card and loaded the correct drivers for it ( version 9755, the most recent in portage ).
After that, it started Xorg, with my beloved desktop manager, KDE, improved with the kickoff applet for kicker from Suse. A, I forgot to say that first it asked me about the hardware acceleration for the X server. I chose AIGL, and Beryl started, making my windows tremble like jelly :D.
As a first impression, it's a live dvd much more usable than Gentoo live cd (which uses Gnome, that at least on my last install was crashing repeatedly). It gives more confidence to a Gentoo beginner, by the fact that it's preconfigured and working well. And it's pretty fast I'd say.


Very happy to hear that. So maybe one of my friend will try Sabayon to see if he is computer will handle Sabayon and after that if he can install his computer with the traditional install minimal CD with the Handbook.

In fact, you can check if your hardware will be compatible with any LiveCD .There is also Knoppix that can do the job too.

Would using the minimal CD make him cooler and smarter?


No, but he will need to work to get his installation sucessful.Not a click here and and a click there and then....hehehe you have sucessfully install a distribution :)
_________________
Sysadmin of GentooQuébec.org
Wiki
Signature
IRC on Freenode : #gentoo-quebec
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steveL
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 2915
Location: The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
Would using the minimal CD make him cooler and smarter?

No, but he will need to work to get his installation sucessful.Not a click here and and a click there and then....hehehe you have sucessfully install a distribution :)
Pedantic point: could people please avoid quoting a whole load of stuff that isn't relevant? Not all of us have DSL y'know? /end of rant ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum