Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SOLVED: A Decent Graphical MP3/Ogg Vorbis Player (XMMS)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eno2001
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: SOLVED: A Decent Graphical MP3/Ogg Vorbis Player (XMMS)? Reply with quote

I used to use XMMS, but as we all know, it's dead and gone from Portage as well now. Seeing that I don't personally, like QT or KDE, I would like a player that duplicates the functionality of XMMS, but in a possibly updated way. I admit XMMS was long in the tooth. I use Xine for all my video needs, but it sucks for simple playlist management (vs. XMMS' really nice file with paths approach). MPlayer covers what I can't play with Xine. However, I wouldn't recommend either of them for audio playback. Not to mention WHERE ARE THE VISUALIZATION plugins? At least in XMMS, I had a pretty good set of visualization stuff. I haven't seen ANYTHING equivalent for Xine, MPlayer, Totem or the like. I just discovered the existence of Audacious today and will give it a try, but I suspect that the visualization plugins are gone. I would like to be able to have a set of plugins equivalent to the old WinAMP ones where there are hundreds to choose from, instead of just one: Goom. And as I said before, if a player has a QT/KDE dependency, it's out for me. So, any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Thanks to all who responded. I found Audacious and it's a perfect replacement for XMMS from where I'm standing. It doesn't have everything that XMMS did, but at least the most used functionality is there. I urge any former XMMS fans to look into it.

Last edited by eno2001 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the "search" button on these forums to see tons of discussion on this, including the mention of that wonderful phrase "local overlay" with which you can install whatever you like, including xmms.
eno2001
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have specified a bit more... I don't want an overlay and I don't want XMMS. I want something that is already in portage and is not MASKED, but it can't be MPlayer, Xine, Totem or Amarok. I'm open to anything else though and am currently trying out Audacious. I was also wondering where Zinf or Freeamp were and why they aren't in Portage. If they are overlays, then I guess I'd scarp those too. Finally, the visualizations are fairly important to me. Specifically I'm thinking full screen stuff, not just in a window. Mainly because I am using Gentoo on my custom media center (I won't go into it but I don't want to use MythTV or Freevo), and want something that gives me a lot of visualization options. Hopefully the clarifications will help illustrate my position.

PaulBredbury wrote:
Use the "search" button on these forums to see tons of discussion on this, including the mention of that wonderful phrase "local overlay" with which you can install whatever you like, including xmms.
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently read that there's some new fullscreen gui for amarok iirc. Can't remember where - it was some forum announce I think.

Maybe you want to check out oxine, a fullscreen front for xine-lib.

Regards
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zinf was removed from Portage. But, thanks to the magic of local overlays, it can live again. Here's an ebuild using the Debian changes.

/usr/local/portage/media-sound/zinf/zinf-2.2.5.ebuild

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2007 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

inherit eutils

DIFF_PV="5.2"
DEBIAN="mirror://debian/pool/main/z"

DESCRIPTION="MP3/Vorbis/CD player with ALSA support, previously called FreeAmp"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.zinf.org/"
SRC_URI="${DEBIAN}/${PN}/${PN}_${PV}.orig.tar.gz
   ${DEBIAN}/${PN}/${PN}_${PV}-${DIFF_PV}.diff.gz"

LICENSE="GPL-2"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="amd64 x86"
IUSE=""

QA_EXECSTACK="usr/lib/zinf/plugins/xingmp3.lmc"
QA_TEXTRELS="usr/lib/zinf/plugins/xingmp3.lmc"

# I'm too lazy - see http://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/zinf
RDEPEND=""
DEPEND=""

src_unpack() {
   unpack ${A}

epatch ./${PN}_${PV}-${DIFF_PV}.diff
}

src_install() {
   emake DESTDIR="${D}" install || die

doicon debian/${PN}.xpm || die
   make_desktop_entry ${PN} "Zinf"

doman debian/${PN}.? || die

dodoc AUTHORS ChangeLog NEWS README \
      debian/{changelog,copyright} \
      doc/{README.{corbaui,lcdui,linux},WISHLIST,*.txt}
}

Last edited by PaulBredbury on Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
nenolod
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacious includes a number of visualization plugins. Infact, Audacious 1.3 has plugins for projectM and a plugin that is similar to AVS in WinAMP. On top of that, there are some ports at http://people.atheme.org/~nenolod/audacious/plugins/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: