Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
wtf? Is everything going wrong at gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
jesnow wrote:
Haven't you noticed how much faster 'emerge --sync && emerge -DNu world' runs in the last few version bumps?
I have noticed real improvements since I started to run portage ~arch.
But also, consider not running the cache updates on --sync, they're totally unnecessary.

I read the post but, um, could you possibly explain a bit more? If it isn't needed then fine, but then if it isn't needed why is it in there? Speed up searches using emerge --search (god help you if you need to run emerge --search later then)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
I read the post but, um, could you possibly explain a bit more? If it isn't needed then fine, but then if it isn't needed why is it in there? Speed up searches using emerge --search (god help you if you need to run emerge --search later then)
I think it's the old way of keeping a cache of stuff that is installed. As quoted from the manual, it means a usr (in this case a dev) can't change eclasses. Since we now have local overlay functionality, that's not a problem. Effectively there are two caches atm, metadata and edb. Portage can work fine with just the first.

My system's been running without the metadata transfer for a couple of months with no problems at all (apart from kuroo failing, which just made us finish this script.)
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
I think it's the old way of keeping a cache of stuff that is installed. As quoted from the manual, it means a usr (in this case a dev) can't change eclasses. Since we now have local overlay functionality, that's not a problem. Effectively there are two caches atm, metadata and edb. Portage can work fine with just the first.

My system's been running without the metadata transfer for a couple of months with no problems at all (apart from kuroo failing, which just made us finish this script.)

So have they slated it for removal? If its pointless, then they may as well remove it.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not slated for removal. As said it doesn't work if you modify eclasses in the main tree, which is a necessity in some cases.
MacCrab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Gentoo to become extinct? Say it isn't so! Reply with quote

OK. Now, I realize this subject must have come up before somewhere in the forums, but I don't really have the time to look through thousands of posts. Doing a search for this subject found nothing.

Is Gentoo, in fact, suffering through some sort of unpleasant internal strife and upheaval which might cause it to cease to exist? I read an editorial at distrowatch.org which basically said Gentoo is an endangered species. I, as, I'm sure, multiples of thousands of others certainly hope this isn't at all true. After jumping around from one Linux distro to another for over nine years, I've finally settled on Gentoo as being the one I like best, by far.

I'm sorry, but most other distros suck. I can't imagine having to forever knuckle under to FedoraCore. I'd rather drink a cup of dog spit laced with polonium.
bLUEbYTE84
Guru
Guru

Location: universe.tar.gz, src/earth.h, struct homo_sapiens_table

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, take a deep breath ;) Gentoo is here, and it is strong.
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

that said, its sort of normal in free software community. the stuff at gentoo is nothing compared to for example the fighting on the kernel lists.
its also normal in business, but open source and free software organisations cant hide it :D

its troublesome anyway. gentoo needs to grow. i dont know if it is true, but ive heard there are only about 100 maintainers.
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked me to, so I will say it. It isn't so. (At least not right now.)
bLUEbYTE84
Guru
Guru

Location: universe.tar.gz, src/earth.h, struct homo_sapiens_table

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichbinsisyphos wrote:
yes.

And we will all die one day.

Quote:
its troublesome anyway. gentoo needs to grow. i dont know if it is true, but ive heard there are only about 100 maintainers.

Well, Gentoo Linux is not a huge corporation or something. And I believe more is not always better. Also, it is Gentoo, not gentoo.
And don't "hear", see for yourself:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes to "unpleasant internal strife" not necessarily: yes, it wil become exinct.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it isn't so.
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bLUEbYTE84 wrote:
Well, Gentoo Linux is not a huge corporation or something. And I believe more is not always better. Also, it is Gentoo, not gentoo.

i would like to see gentoo take the lead from debian hehe. but on that list are about 300 people (just an estimation) not 100.

a big distribution has 20.000 - 30.000 packages, more to come. which makes about 100 packages for each gentoo maintainer on average. i can not code and i can not take part in the community in that way, i can not really judge. but i think it is a part of the problem. gentoo could do with twice the number of developers.

i just ignore the "Gentoo, not gentoo" remark, buddy.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the problem with becoming another dev is they are so flame-happy, they drive people away. Its annoying to have to listen to it here, it would be a royal pain to have to deal with it on there.
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad to hear our beloved Gentoo is alive and strong... i was wondering this also, but because i am used to gentoo releasing very often... it's been a while since there's been a release right? where is 2006.2 ? or 2007.1 ?

i'm not complaining so don't throw feces... just wondering.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article on DistroWatch was 100% horse crap IMO. Typical tabloid stuff.

Devs come and go. Flame wars come and go. This happens with all distros out there - there is nothing special in Gentoo. And no, Gentoo isn't going anywhere - it is constantly getting better and better thanks for all the hard working devs and great user community.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
I think part of the problem with becoming another dev is they are so flame-happy, they drive people away. Its annoying to have to listen to it here, it would be a royal pain to have to deal with it on there.

well, if we'd move on and not post posts like this.... maybe stereotypes about the devs would subside.

remix: afaict, Gentoo releases are nothing more then profiles that define the current minimal for important system packages. you never "wait" on a release by Gentoo because your system is always as up-to-date as possible thanks to portage. This isn't commercial software or ubuntu (just an example) where you need to go crazy waiting for the next big thing. emerge it now and enjoy!
jstead1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remix wrote:
i'm glad to hear our beloved Gentoo is alive and strong... i was wondering this also, but because i am used to gentoo releasing very often... it's been a while since there's been a release right? where is 2006.2 ? or 2007.1 ?

Gentoo had set up a six month release schedule. The last release was 2006.1, I think in August of 2006. That would put the next release, which would be 2007.0, at around February 2007, although I don't know what the real schedule is. I really don't follow the releases since I already have gentoo installed, and I haven't had to re-install since I first installed it back in 2004.

Edit: A little searching found this thread: Is it coming?

I guess the short answer is, it will be ready when it is ready. (In this case, probably mid April.)

Last edited by jstead1 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ichbinsisyphos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remix wrote:

2 releases a year: .0 and .1

2007.0 was planned for march and is a little overdue. the dates are only estimations, so the usual "ready when its done" is now in effect :P
luqas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paapaa wrote:
The article on DistroWatch was 100% horse crap IMO. Typical tabloid stuff.

Devs come and go. Flame wars come and go. This happens with all distros out there - there is nothing special in Gentoo. And no, Gentoo isn't going anywhere - it is constantly getting better and better thanks for all the hard working devs and great user community.

/thread

Yes there are some disagreements that happen among the devs, but Gentoo is not going anywhere. When you get alot of volunteers together that have different ideas on how things will work then you will always get some flame wars etc.

Like Paapaa said, alot was blowing out of proportion on recent events that happened on -dev but has since calmed down. You have to look at the whole picture and not just a short time period (which all the articles are looking at).

Gentoo is alive and well and will stay that way for a while.
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joined the above beginning with https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3991581.html#3991581 (thread title was 'Gentoo to become extinct? Say it isn't so!')
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
Dralnu wrote:

well, if we'd move on and not post posts like this.... maybe stereotypes about the devs would subside.

Its not always going to be the case, but when you have devs leaving for flaming and other crap like that, its kind of hard to think otherwise. I think we all know it isn't all of them who do this, but there are enough that are noisy enough to make it a headache from out here.

Quote:
remix: afaict, Gentoo releases are nothing more then profiles that define the current minimal for important system packages. you never "wait" on a release by Gentoo because your system is always as up-to-date as possible thanks to portage. This isn't commercial software or ubuntu (just an example) where you need to go crazy waiting for the next big thing. emerge it now and enjoy!

Yes yes, back on topic now.
VincenzoVega
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:

So when my new hardware isn´t detected / available when using the Gentoo Minimal CD I should just lay back and use an Ubuntu Live CD to install Gentoo ?
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VincenzoVega wrote:
So when my new hardware isn´t detected / available when using the Gentoo Minimal CD I should just lay back and use an Ubuntu Live CD to install Gentoo ?
Doing so is an option.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
VincenzoVega wrote:
Doing so is an option.
So is Knoppix
remix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys

ichbinsisyphos wrote:
2 releases a year: .0 and .1

2007.0 was planned for march and is a little overdue. the dates are only estimations, so the usual "ready when its done" is now in effect :P

i vaguely remember owning a cd that i wrote 2004.2 on it... hmmm....

back to topic...

i have a baby tortoise named gentoo... actually each of my co-workers in my dept each bought a tortoise (sulcatta)
first one was gentoo, then came mandrake and debian, and then slax... well mandrake got sick last year, and died soon after (tragically strange), and then i think slax died... we still have debian (the biggest) and gentoo around, almost doubled in weight and size...

anyway, long live gentoo!!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: