Xine hangs with, Surround Sound, Intel HDA Audio
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidjneff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Xine hangs with, Surround Sound, Intel HDA Audio Reply with quote

I have an HTPC with Intel HDA (Realtec chip). Due to lack of available ports in my AV receiver, I am using the analog out of the motherboard into my surround sound amp, not spdif (although Xine doesn't know this and it has little impact on my problem I think apart from passthrough mode and not wanting to go down the pure digital path).

Most of my audio is mp3 stereo, but of course some is AC3 DD. I use Xine in kaffeine and MythTV. When I set the speaker arrangement in the xine config file to Stereo 2.0 or Stereo 2.1, everything plays, but true 5 channel surround sound just clones the front and rear speakers, best I can tell whether its just stereo or 3/2 AC3.

But if I set the speaker arrangement in the xine config file to any surround sound options (3.0, 5.1, 6.0) an actual AC3 DD 3/2 audio file results in Xine hanging (both MP4 with the audio AC3, as well as DVD). I have to kill Xine to recover. I've searched forums here, tried a few suggestions, get no success. If I go to passthrough mode, regular stereo sources play, but a true surround sound source gives me an "audio device not found" error.

I am using the latest stable everything, kernel, xine, etc. Its an ASROCK MB with an AMD64 chip.

The sound is still OK. And most of my videos are just mp3 stereo. And I have a "real" DVD player in the setup with optical audio that works. And, well, cough, couugh, most of my videos are of the sort where sound is not the most important thing ... But still, I'd like to get this working. Its really the major glitch/flaw in my setup. Any ideas?

Here are some details of my setup:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xdfdf8000 irq 10

# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# lsmod
Module Size Used by
snd_pcm_oss 49824 0
snd_mixer_oss 23296 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss 40576 0
snd_seq_midi_event 13312 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 65664 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 13588 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_hda_intel 26784 4
snd_hda_codec 208768 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm 90504 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer 30344 3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 72040 15 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc 15120 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
nvidia 7748760 22
lirc_mceusb 16288 0
lirc_dev 21288 1 lirc_mceusb
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: