Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to let people login my Gentoo box via Win's Exceed?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: How to let people login my Gentoo box via Win's Exceed? Reply with quote

Anyone has any idea on how to setup my Gentoo box so other people can access via Window's program Exceed? http://www.hummingbird.com/products/nc/exceed/index.html
mglauche
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: use ssh ... Reply with quote

1) start sshd on your gentoo box:

emerge sshd
rc-script add sshd default (or so, just recalling from memory)

2) get putty for windows (search google for it, on the top of the page)

this is a GREAT ssh terminal for windows, got to the connection-ssh->tunnel tab, there select "enable X11 forwardin", save and connect to your gentoo box

3) start exeed ;) (did anyone try the cygnus x11 server for win32 yet ?)

4) start application in the putty window (note: putty can load configs on startup, and can execute commands, and can auth against putty agent, so you can make a one click x-app launch. and its even secure!! ;)

hope this helps,
Michael
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i will try it and let you know if it works...
lahaine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: use ssh ... Reply with quote

mglauche wrote:

emerge sshd

I assume this is included in openssh? I can't emerge sshd, it can't find it (and yes, I did an rsync).

Anyway, that way looks good if you want to be secure, but Exceed can be used if there are fewer security considerations (isolated network).

I can remotely telnet to my Gentoo box fine, and I can use Exceed telling it to use the Telnet remote method.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: use ssh ... Reply with quote

lahaine wrote:
mglauche wrote:

emerge sshd

I assume this is included in openssh? I can't emerge sshd, it can't find it (and yes, I did an rsync).

Anyway, that way looks good if you want to be secure, but Exceed can be used if there are fewer security considerations (isolated network).

I can remotely telnet to my Gentoo box fine, and I can use Exceed telling it to use the Telnet remote method.

Yeah, your right, OpenSSH comes with sshd in it. (I did that last night and found that out)
Exceed can still be used no matter what... when you use putty to connect, it creates an encrypted socket layer that has X11-forwarding. When you start an app, and it goes over the net connection, it does it over the SSH tunnel instead of blindly over the net. (theoretically anyway.)

I've done it once or twice, but I find it kinda cumbersome. If I'm on a Windows machine and need to run an X11 app, I roll over to my other machine.....
That'll probably change in the future due to laziness and becoming too fat to move, though.
bk-tech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: use ssh ... Reply with quote

Quote:
did anyone try the cygnus x11 server for win32 yet

Seems to work ok, runs a little slow. And, successfully compiled fluxbox with ./configure && make && make install. Very slow when trying to run an X program remotely.
lahaine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: use ssh ... Reply with quote

arkane wrote:

I've done it once or twice, but I find it kinda cumbersome. If I'm on a Windows machine and need to run an X11 app, I roll over to my other machine.....
That'll probably change in the future due to laziness and becoming too fat to move, though.

I'm already there on both counts so I've got an icon on my XP laptop that runs an xterm on the Gentoo machine, from there I can run what I like without moving an inch :)
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to make sure that sshd allows tunneling of X programs!
Code:

X11Forwarding yes
garion911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:56 am    Post subject: Alternative method Reply with quote

Another method (insecure) that may be faster (no compression/encryption) would to be to use XDMCP to provide a "logon" screen..

You have to turn on XDMCP in your xdm program. Under kdm, you have to edit the /usr/kde/3/share/kdm/kdmrc file.

Then you would have to setup exceed to use XDMCP..

Its been a while since I've setup XDMCP, so I may be a little off on things.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: XDMCP Reply with quote

garion911 is right...you should setup XDMCP in kdm or gdm. in kdm you MUST edit the kdmrc but in gdm it is in the configuration section of the login screen. very handy.

setup up XCEED to use XDMCP in broadcast mode and i will find ALL XDMCP servers around your local network for you, or you can connect directly via their IP address.
Yarrick
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: use ssh ... Reply with quote

bk-tech wrote:
Quote:

Seems to work ok, runs a little slow. And, successfully compiled fluxbox with ./configure && make && make install. Very slow when trying to run an X program remotely.

talking about slow remote x programs, i ran the UAE amiga emulator thru a ssh connection once. i started the good old game silkworm, and sometimes there came a new frame. :) and it used A LOT of badwidth...
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: use ssh ... Reply with quote

Yarrick wrote:
bk-tech wrote:
Quote:

talking about slow remote x programs, i ran the UAE amiga emulator thru a ssh connection once. i started the good old game silkworm, and sometimes there came a new frame. :) and it used A LOT of badwidth...

I hope it was over at least a 10 base connection ;)
line72
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: open gl Reply with quote

would any of these options let you use opengl ( say i wanted to run glxgears on my linux box and have it displayed on my windows box) i currently use vnc and it doesn't let me use opengl (glx extension could not be found)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to networking forum.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: