alsa install problems!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: alsa install problems! Reply with quote

I think i followed the directions in the howto but i keep getting this any ideas.

Code:

root@scaparra linux # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
 * Initialising ALSA....
 * Starting sound driver: snd-cs46xx /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/pci/cs46xx/snd-cs46xx.o: insmod snd-cs46xx failed                                                              [ ok ] 
root@scaparra linux # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
nvidia               1542752  20
di1bert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like either you are using the wrong driver for the card, or the card isn't installed properlyon the motherboard. Does it come up in "lspci" output ?

I get that error when I don't put my SB Live back in it's slot properly.

Just my 0.02c worth :)
maniacdavid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having problems with my alsa-driver-0.9.3a. I have never tried anything else. I have sound compiled in the kernel (no module) with no soundcards selected and NO OSS compiled in the kernel. I have a Audigy2 Plat. eX (emu10k1 driver) When I go to modprobe snd-emu10k1. I get this message:

/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.o: insmod snd-emu10k1 failed

I have been trying everything and nothing works. Kernel is 2.4.20 with the ac patch.
LornKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I have seen the exact same message many times. In my case, I was using the wrong drivers, and I needed ACPI support also.

You wouldn't be using a laptop by any chance would you? Lack of ACPI in the kernel may cause this if ACPI is needed to access the sound card. When I had no ACPI support in my toshiba laptop's kernel, the correct modlues would not insert.
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no this is a home built desktop. I do not believe that i have APCI compiled in with my kernel. The card is a hercules XP game theater and i am using the cs46xx driver.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: