Can't boot InstallCD on PS3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcusAurelius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Can't boot InstallCD on PS3 Reply with quote

I've been following the directions here, and I can't boot the install CD. Pressing enter just shows another kboot prompt. There is an error just before the prompt is displayed "UDF -fs: No VRS found" is displayed twice. What's going wrong here?

Last edited by MarcusAurelius on Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:06 am; edited 2 times in total
rangerpb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: livecd Reply with quote

A couple of things could be going on here. First off, I prefer you use the install instructions found here -> http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3

Second, this could be from a collision of kboot.conf files or something more simple like your choice of media. Have you installed Linux on this PS3 before. If you have, then please rename or delete your previous kboot.conf file.

If you haven't, are you using cdrw media. I don't believe that media works. If you are using some other media like DVD, then UDF has to be enable in the otheros image. I think the ones I put on the livecd are. Check those out.

Also, to cycle through possible kboot labels, use the 'tab' key to find one which matches your video resolution. Good luck. If this fails, join us on #gentoo-ppc64 and we can help you along the way. Be patient, many of us come and go.
MarcusAurelius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out all I needed to do was download another install CD and use some 3rd party software on the slowest burn setting possible. All is well now (I'm syncing Portage as we speak); thanks.
MarcusAurelius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it turns out I can't unmount anything. I have exited the chroot and it says I can't unmount /proc or /dev because they don't exist. I'm going to start over with something other than CDRW and see if that works. What would cause this, because there aren't any errors thrown when I pass the commands for mounting? I'm now back in my dorm, so I won't have internet access until I can register on their network (I need a web browser); so how would I use a flashdrive with the stage4 tar file? How do I refer to the usb drive?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: