Complete install fail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Complete install fail Reply with quote

I have just recently been given a Mac G4 [400mhz] and have
unsucessfully tried to install gentoo about a dozen times. I have
installed it multiple times on the i386 platform, so I am quite
familiar with the process...

I can get as far as the bootstrapping, and then the entire process
fails. The errors range from happening in the first 3 minutes to 2
hours into it. I either get "kernel dump errors" or errors dealing
with "invalid inodes". I am trying another install so I can get the
error message(s) exactly...

I tried new RAM, a new hard drive, and a new cd, all with the same
results.
rt_clik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Complete install fail Reply with quote

I had problems at this same stage of the bootstrap and concluded that my statge1 tar file was corrupt in some fashion (direct from the ppc iso -- was missing some critical pieces like the /proc mount point and /usr/share/zoneinfo files to name a couple that signaled a potential problem).

I found a stage3 build posted in this Gentoo-PPC Forum (http://eclipse.darkstar.net/~gerk/PowerPC/gentoo-ppc-1.2-stage3.tbz2), and used wget to download it onto "spare" drive space I had partitioned, then unzipped it into my root partion in place of the stage1 version in the build directory of the iso. Following an "emerge rsync" and "emerge --update world", I was ready to set the /etc/localtime symbolic link and move on to the kernel config. Worked great.

One gotcha I found during the mkofboot -v stage that has been documented elsewhere: The NVRAM doesn't get updated correctly, although it didn't stop my machine from finding my blessed bootstrap partition (just displayed a folder with a "?" until it found its way to my bootstrap). The fix was Command-Option-O-F. At the prompt:

setenv boot-device hd:x,\\:tbxi
boot

This, of course, where "x" is the partition number for your bootstrap partion.

Good luck. Hope this helps!

mellofone wrote:
I have just recently been given a Mac G4 [400mhz] and have
unsucessfully tried to install gentoo about a dozen times. I have
installed it multiple times on the i386 platform, so I am quite
familiar with the process...

I can get as far as the bootstrapping, and then the entire process
fails. The errors range from happening in the first 3 minutes to 2
hours into it. I either get "kernel dump errors" or errors dealing
with "invalid inodes". I am trying another install so I can get the
error message(s) exactly...

I tried new RAM, a new hard drive, and a new cd, all with the same
results.
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete install fail Reply with quote

rt_clik wrote:
I had problems at this same stage of the bootstrap and concluded that my statge1 tar file was corrupt in some fashion (direct from the ppc iso -- was missing some critical pieces like the /proc mount point and /usr/share/zoneinfo files to name a couple that signaled a potential problem).

I found a stage3 build posted in this Gentoo-PPC Forum (http://eclipse.darkstar.net/~gerk/PowerPC/gentoo-ppc-1.2-stage3.tbz2), and used wget to download it onto "spare" drive space I had partitioned, then unzipped it into my root partion in place of the stage1 version in the build directory of the iso. Following an "emerge rsync" and "emerge --update world", I was ready to set the /etc/localtime symbolic link and move on to the kernel config. Worked great.

One gotcha I found during the mkofboot -v stage that has been documented elsewhere: The NVRAM doesn't get updated correctly, although it didn't stop my machine from finding my blessed bootstrap partition (just displayed a folder with a "?" until it found its way to my bootstrap). The fix was Command-Option-O-F. At the prompt:

setenv boot-device hd:x,\\:tbxi
boot

This, of course, where "x" is the partition number for your bootstrap partion.

Good luck. Hope this helps!

IT WORKS! Amazing. I also filed a bug with the stage1-ppc-1.2 file, to see if it can be resolved. Other then some goofy keymap problems, everthing worked like a charm! Thanks again!
rt_clik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete install fail Reply with quote

Cool. I assume you found the keymap entry that should have been "mac-us" instead of "us". Weird. I've found a couple of other strange things here and there, but for the most I'm pretty happy.

Happy Hacking!

mellofone wrote:

IT WORKS! Amazing. I also filed a bug with the stage1-ppc-1.2 file, to see if it can be resolved. Other then some goofy keymap problems, everthing worked like a charm! Thanks again!
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete install fail Reply with quote

rt_clik wrote:
Cool. I assume you found the keymap entry that should have been "mac-us" instead of "us". Weird. I've found a couple of other strange things here and there, but for the most I'm pretty happy.

Happy Hacking!

Yeah. Got it :) However, since I only have gentoo on the drive, and even though the NVRAM didn't work, I didn't have to change anything for the system to boot...
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After booting into your finished gentoo you should be able to rerun ybin and it will update your nvram accordingly. There is a bug filed for the missing /dev/nvram and /proc and will be fixed in next ISO release AFAIK. I guess until then we should really put a note in the docs (although I would prefer the real fix :)

Glad the stage3 worked out for you's :)

Gerk
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:
After booting into your finished gentoo you should be able to rerun ybin and it will update your nvram accordingly. There is a bug filed for the missing /dev/nvram and /proc and will be fixed in next ISO release AFAIK. I guess until then we should really put a note in the docs (although I would prefer the real fix :)

Glad the stage3 worked out for you's :)

Gerk

Yeah, it was a real lifesaver. I can't thank you enough! I lost lots of hair on this one...

Anyone have any experience with external firewire storage devices?
rt_clik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

modprobe ohci1394
<attach device>
modprobe sbp2

Check your dmesg, but my external drive comes up as /dev/sda.

mkdir /mnt/firewire
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/firewire

This all, of course, assumes that you enabled Firewire support and the appropriate modules during the kernel compile. It was turned off in the default .config for the kernel build. By the way, you can compile the firewire into the kernel. I've done it both ways, and using the whole Firewire system as a module seems to be less klooogy. Also, the Firewire subsystem may not come all the way back following a sleep of the machine (if you're using a laptop like me). You cannot unload the ieee1394 or the ohci1394 modules once loaded, so a reinitiation has required me to reboot (haven't tested this with the latest Gentoo kernel, but this was true on my YD2.1 build).

Hey, since we're all about questions...

I've got a few weird ones I cannot find tech info on:

1. pcmcia-cs will not compile for me. I'm getting an ldconfig error, "/usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so is not a shared object file (Type: 768)". Had the same thing happen with lyx and a couple of others, and an ldconfig run lists about 10 libs the same way. Found the problem referenced, but no solution posted.

2. Want to map my TiPowerBook eject button to eject CD's. Couldn't find a best practice paper anywhere. Have some ideas, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if there is already an easy fix.

3. In my YD2.1 build mouse clicking via the trackpad was turned off, but in this Gentoo build it is on by default. My thumbs tend to wander when I'm excitedly typing, and I tend to do bizarre, unintended things. I can't find in the X config where to turn the darn thing off. Any ideas?

Thanks.

mellofone wrote:

Yeah, it was a real lifesaver. I lost lots of hair on this one...

Anyone have any experience with external firewire storage devices?
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1. pcmcia-cs will not compile for me. I'm getting an ldconfig error, "/usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so is not a shared object file (Type: 768)". Had the same thing happen with lyx and a couple of others, and an ldconfig run lists about 10 libs the same way. Found the problem referenced, but no solution posted.

You will want to unmerge xforms first of all...it likely installed the x86 binary. You can unmaks and test the 089-r2 xforms build, should be ppc compatible.

Also there is a new pcmcia-cs build still masked that is ppc compatible as well. (I did both those builds personally so feedback would be great).

Do you IRC ? if so stop in to #gentoo-ppc on irc.openprojects.net

Quote:

2. Want to map my TiPowerBook eject button to eject CD's. Couldn't find a best practice paper anywhere. Have some ideas, but don't want to reinvent the wheel if there is already an easy fix.

3. In my YD2.1 build mouse clicking via the trackpad was turned off, but in this Gentoo build it is on by default. My thumbs tend to wander when I'm excitedly typing, and I tend to do bizarre, unintended things. I can't find in the X config where to turn the darn thing off. Any ideas?

Both of these things can be accomplished with the following pkgs: pbbuttonsd, gtkpbbuttons, powerprefs

Gerk
mellofone
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rt_clik wrote:
Yes.

modprobe ohci1394
<attach device>
modprobe sbp2

Check your dmesg, but my external drive comes up as /dev/sda.

mkdir /mnt/firewire
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/firewire

This all, of course, assumes that you enabled Firewire support and the appropriate modules during the kernel compile. It was turned off in the default .config for the kernel build. By the way, you can compile the firewire into the kernel. I've done it both ways, and using the whole Firewire system as a module seems to be less klooogy. Also, the Firewire subsystem may not come all the way back following a sleep of the machine (if you're using a laptop like me). You cannot unload the ieee1394 or the ohci1394 modules once loaded, so a reinitiation has required me to reboot (haven't tested this with the latest Gentoo kernel, but this was true on my YD2.1 build).

Hey, since we're all about questions...

I've got a few weird ones I cannot find tech info on:

Thanks.

So far, the firewire isn't working... I'm going to retry it as modules...

I have no idea on the other two items.. You are looking at a complete Apple newbie. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I have ever touched an Apple, only because I never liked the previous Mac OS versions...

But since Gentoo, I figured I would give it a shot :)
Boomer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just successfully emerged xforms using:

emerge /usr/portage/x11-libs/xforms/xforms-089-r2.ebuild

and it worked correctly. I was even able to emerge xmysqladmin. Lyx is emerging now.

Boomer
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, the ppc safe xforms was unmasked this morning to the world.
axxackall
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerk wrote:

There may remain few problems in the doc I think they will remain after fixing ISO. Let me drop here my couple of cents:

1. in list of advises for menuconfig, there should be added:
Code:
nvram should be compiled not as a module, otherwise, even after loading nvram.o, mkofboot won't be able to update nvram

At least that's what's happened to me.

2. In /etc/yaboot.conf the path to the kernel image should fixed.
Code:
 Instead of /vmlinux (in the root), it should be /boot/vmlinux

3. PPC will always be behind in QA, as there are fewer ppc users. Therefore , the amount of packages masked with "-ppc" keyword will be always bigger than ones with "-x86". Thus, it's better to reflect such fact in a short comment in the install doc, otherwise... Look what we have now: fcron is advised, but masked. Not very nice... It's fine for former x86 gentoo users, they will handle such situation, but imageine if the user is a former YDLer without real Portage experience.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: