Error trying to install ALSA driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Error trying to install ALSA driver Reply with quote

I'm making my first attempt at installing the ALSA driver for a VIA VT8233 chipset. I've followed the instructions in the Gentoo Linux ALSA guide and ran into a snag at the point where I update-modules. It spits out an error:
Quote:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o

I enabled alsa in /etc/make.conf, both the USE parameter, and I added the line

ALSA_CARDS="via82XX"

# emerge alsa-driver seemed to work fine.

I made sure the alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx was configured in /etc/modules.d/alsa, and I commented out all the OSS/Free stuff.

Any idea where I should go from here?

Thanks
-Jeff
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did u specify the sound in the kernel? (what option and what settings)
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in /etc/make.conf is set
Code:

USE="alsa"

(among other things). And make menuconfig is set with

<M> Sound card support

but without any modules selected (as instructed in the ALSA installation guide).

-Jeff
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkcunningham wrote:
in /etc/make.conf is set
Code:

USE="alsa"

(among other things). And make menuconfig is set with

<M> Sound card support

but without any modules selected (as instructed in the ALSA installation guide).

-Jeff

Right, that seems allright...What kernel are u trying to compile here? If its >2.4 then u will need modutils to go with the layout:
Code:
emerge module-init-tools

Let us know if it helped :)
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I tried your suggestion. I also emerged alsa-utils and alsa-tools along with module-init-tools. Then I tried to update-modules again. This time I got the following list of errors:
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/seq/snd-seq-midi-event.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/seq/snd-seq.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/snd-pcm.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/snd-rawmidi.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/snd-timer.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/drivers/mpu401/snd-mpu401-uart.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.o
    depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2/kernel/sound/pci/snd-via82xx.o

I'm baffled.
-Jeff
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkcunningham wrote:

I'm baffled.
-Jeff

Well, seems like I didnt look closely to your original post...You are just using kernel 2.4.20 , and you therefore dont want to emerge modutils...these are (afaik) only for kernels >2.4

Start by unmerge modutils again...I have some work now, but I'll try to pull the strings I know of in order to get an answer to your problem...

In the meantime...try "mrproper" before compiling your kernel (as pr install-doc -> remember to backup your config before that command).

Oh, I just remembered...I once saw a post about via and sound...the fellow didnt compile "sound card support" as a module, but as part of the kernel...I I remember correctly, that worked for him...?
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, no-one had any experience with your particular problem :(

Did u try to compile sound as part of the kernel? If that didnt work either, maybe this site is of some use?
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=128

Let us know of the progress...
patrickc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as a side note, it is *not* harmful to
Code:
emerge mod-init-utils

even on a 2.4.20 kernel, since the emerge will make it backwards compatible with the earlier system, as well as the newer 2.5 kernel modules.

patrickc
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickc wrote:
just as a side note, it is *not* harmful to
Code:
emerge mod-init-utils

even on a 2.4.20 kernel, since the emerge will make it backwards compatible with the earlier system, as well as the newer 2.5 kernel modules.

patrickc

I agree, but it seems odd though that he goes from 1 error to 100+ after updating modutils :)
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - things are looking up on the ALSA front. I read quite a bit more (didn't find anything obvious), but decided to try going through the whole process all over again with the gentoo kernel (I was using vanilla before). I made one other change at the same time, so I'm not absolutely sure what did it: I set menuconfig to compile sound into the kernel (*) rather than as a module (M). After rebooting the new kernel I tried doing the update-modules and it was successful. I set up amixer and played a sample.wav.

I want to thank you all for your suggestions and comments - I've browsed many a forum and this is clearly one of the best.

I also emerged xmms, alsa-xmms, alsa-lib, alsa-utils. xmms comes up, but doesn't work. It says it can't access the sound driver. I haven't researched that at all yet.

I'm emerging alsaplayer as I'm typing this to see if it fares any better.

Life is pretty good.

-Jeff
Supermule
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkcunningham wrote:

Life is pretty good.
-Jeff

Sure is :)

In xmms, u have to enter the configuration (CTRL+P or something) to tell xmms to use the ALSA modules instead of oss...Then I bet it will play along :)

Cheers...
empi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: group settings? Reply with quote

And if that doesn't work, make sure you have added your regular user to
the audio group...you dont start x as root do you ;)
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out that I needed to select a different output plugin (ALSA) and it started playing mp3's. But it won't play wav's off a commercial cdrom. On the other hand, alsaplayer will play both, so I presume I'm still dealing with an xmms setup issue, although I can't find any relevant settings. Another symptom might be that cddb isn't working in xmms, even though I turned it on and I can see it hit the network. Grip, on the other hand, works with cddb on the same disk just fine.

So I've got a little more work to do here.

I'm pretty sure I made myself a member of the sound group. Is there a command to list all the groups a user is the member of?

(No, I didn't start X as root).

-Jeff
BadGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much have the exact same problem here only I have those loads of errors to start with. I tried both as compiled in kernel and as module but it just won't budge... I'd like it if I didn't have to completely reinstall my gentoo to make it work...
BadGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my error:

Code:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/8390.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/dummy.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia/ray_cs.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/sound/sound.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/net/ipsec/ipsec.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/seq/oss/snd-seq-oss.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/seq/snd-seq.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/snd-page-alloc.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/snd-pcm.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/snd-rawmidi.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/snd-timer.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o

It looks similar to the problem you had... I just can't figure it out I tried alot... (this is during the emerging of alsa-driver) I'm quite sure I got the right sound card (looked in the /proc/pci audio and it's the right driver snd-i81x0 or summit) So any idea's coz I ran out...
BadGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't fixed it the driver is snd-inteli81x0

Still the same errors I only have the sound core loaded and got acpi enabled aswell... Any Idea's?
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you compile the kernel with sound support (*) but no specific sound drivers selected? That's what I did. Then I emerged the alsa-drivers after defining the snd-via82xx environment variable like it described in the ALSA install document.

Did you remember to reboot after you recompiled your kernel?

Did you rebuild the alsa-drivers module after recompiling the kernel? (Don't know why, but they say to do this).
BadGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did and now it's working but... Amixer still gives amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such file or directory.... I don't really know what the problem is here because if I do lsmod

snd-pcm-oss is running and so is snd-mixer-oss so I can't unmute my mixer :( I did recompile the alsa-util part but it just won't work... Very strange I'm not getting anymore errors now so that is solved
BadGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the errors... When I rmmod snd-pcm-oss and then insmod snd-pcm-oss I again get the error as mentioned above... Could this be a problem? After rebooting and doing lsmod again it just loaded again without errors... :roll: hmmmmz :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: