Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ps3videomode (How does this thing work?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: ps3videomode (How does this thing work?) Reply with quote

I am using SXRD XBR2 HDTV monitor via HDMI. I can't seem to get the resolution right. regular 720 or 1080P modes will doesn't fill the whole screen. And the full screen mode such as 131, or with -f flag, overscans.

In regular mode, I can understand why it's not displaying the full screen. If you look at the mode resolution, it's not a full 720P or 1080P resolution. But what's causing the overscan? Is it the TV, or is it the limitation of PS3?

Is there a way to override the resolution outside of the ps3vieomode? I've searched, and found some references to the xorg. Anyone have any success in taming the output modes so that it does not overscan using full screen mode?
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the lcd TVs do overscan on the HDMI port (and I don't know the hell why...). There are models which don't (like some LCD TVs from Amoi) and some you can disable the overscan (for example there is a "pixel per pixel" mode in Sony X2000 models, which works pretty good but still is not 100% "pixel per pixel").

If you have a DVI port on your TV then you could try this port out, as it is designed for attaching computers (why does "the industry" not design the HDMI port for computer use??). Please consult the handbook of your LCD, if it sais something like "please attach your computer to the DVI port". Unfortunatly I don't know any handbook which uses the expression of "overscan" or any other periphrasis for this (stupid) problem.

regards,

-corsair
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's perplexing is that I get full 1080P resolution without any problems in XMB, and in 1080P games. Same for the 720P games.

Only in Linux this is happening. And if hypervisor is controlling the ps3 video output, shouldn't they theoretically be the same video output in linux as well as the gameOS?

And if you look at the resolutions of these video modes, you'll see that they're not full 720P, nor 1080P. They are reduced. Why would Sony do this?

I don't have the slightest understanding as to what Sony is supposed to disclose to the opensource community, but I was wondering if ps3videomode is provided only as a compiled binary, or could it be recompiled to enable other video modes?
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:
What's perplexing is that I get full 1080P resolution without any problems in XMB, and in 1080P games. Same for the 720P games.

you wouldn't notice overscan in games or movies, would you? :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: