radeon 9250 with ati drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pknet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: radeon 9250 with ati drivers Reply with quote

hello,
I'm trying to get my radeon9250 working with ati-drivers. It's becoming almost a dilemma.

If I try to compile the stable drivers 8.27.10-r1 I get this:

Code:

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1 to /
 * ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86_64.run MD5 ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86_64.run RMD160 ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                [ ok ]
 * ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86_64.run SHA1 ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                  [ ok ]
 * ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86_64.run SHA256 ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                [ ok ]
 * ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86_64.run size ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                  [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                     [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                    [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                                                   [ ok ]
 * checking ati-driver-installer-8.27.10-x86_64.run ;-) ...                                                                                                                                              [ ok ]
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found kernel object directory:
 *     /lib/modules/2.6.18-gentoo-r6/build
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     2.6.18-gentoo-r6
 * Checking for MTRR support enabled ...                                                                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * Checking for AGP support enabled ...                                                                                                                                                                  [ ok ]
 * Checking for DRM support disabled ...                                                                                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * X11 implementation is xorg-x11.
>>> Unpacking source...
 * Unpacking Ati drivers ...                                                                                                                                                                             [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1 ...
 * Building the DRM module...
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-gentoo-r6'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.18-gentoo-r6/Module.symvers
           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:233: error: ‘UTS_RELEASE’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function ‘firegl_stub_open’:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:559: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function ‘firegl_put_user_ptr’:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1319: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:1319: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_unregister_ioctl32_conversion’:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:2499: warning: ‘return’ with a value, in function returning void
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_vm_map’:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3159: error: ‘VM_SHM’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3159: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3159: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18-gentoo-r6'
 * DRM module not built
>>> Source compiled.
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1

>>> Install ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1 into /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1/image/ category x11-drivers
 * Installing fglrx module
install: impossibile fare stat di `fglrx.ko': No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1546:   Called dyn_install
  ebuild.sh, line 1020:   Called src_install
  ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1.ebuild, line 205:   Called linux-mod_src_install
  linux-mod.eclass, line 540:   Called die

!!! doins fglrx.ko failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

If I try to use the ~amd64 8.32.5 I can compile it but..... radeon 9250 is no longer supported!
At the beginning I thought it was a xorg.conf issue but after thousands of tries ... I read the driver release notes :evil::-(

The last useful driver is 8.28.8 but unfortunately it suffers the same 8.27.10-r1 issue.

My kernel is the latest gentoo-sources stable one (2.6.18-r6) and the .config follow the gentoo-wiki Howto.

It seems that my only choice is to come back to the functioning but slow freedesktop drivers.

Does anybody has another idea? What else I could check to get 8.27.10-r1 driver working?

Thank you
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your /etc/make.conf and also your /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

Also, why do you want to install the ATI driver ?, because I think the open source driver will work fine with your video card.

If you want to install Beryl for exemple, you can use AIGLX + Beryl :)
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: radeon 9250 with ati drivers Reply with quote

pknet wrote:
What else I could check to get 8.27.10-r1 driver working?
Have you tried earlier kernels (2.6.17 or even 2.6.16)?

IIRC, one of the most frequent updates to the binary drivers are patches to make them compatible when newer kernels,
but as the 9250 compatible drivers are no longer updated, then presumably at some point they will not be compatible with the latest kernels, and maybe this is the problem you've encountered.

For instance, checking here, you can see that the last 8.28 ati-drivers were commited to the portage tree on 25 Sep 2006,
and the 2.6.18 vanilla-sources kernel were committed only five days earlier.

(the 8.82.8 you were using were committed 31 Aug)

Odds are newer vanilla kernel sources get into the tree faster than new ati-driver releases.

Anyway, I have to agree with d2_racings' comment; I chose a 9250 because of the open source drivers,
and I've been extremely pleased, especially with exa.

Unless you're into games, I don't think you have anything to gain by using the binary drivers (apart from the tainted kernel :P ),
and if games are your thing, a 9250 isn't exactly going to blow you away one way or the other.

Out of curiosity, what kind of glxgears scores did you get with the binary drivers?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, if you want 3D, you can use the Open Source driver to activate your DRI and after that you will be able to install Beryl with a record time.

Thrust me, XGL+Proprietary ATI Radeon Driver is very difficult to make that thing works,specially the first time...
pknet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thank you for your answers. I tried to set up aixgl+beryl with open source driver and it works but tooo slowly. In a unusable fashion (click .... 5-6 sec waiting ..... and then slow motion reaction). I surely did something wrong, but I don't care.... I'll wait until beryl will be in the stable tree. The real problem that convince me to try (it was just an experiment) ati-drivers is that if I enable direct rendering my X frequently fall in a strange busy waiting. I mean, the desktop freeze, you can still move the mouse, you can ssh into the box from another machine and see in top the X process eating 99% of cpu. It always happens when there is a Konsole with scrolling text (eg. during emerge) on the screen. I thought it could be a driver issue so I tried. But this is offtopic.
I'll try another solution. I think it is incredible that ATI call their packages in the same way, go on with the same version numbering, but v8.30 isn't the same package of v8.29. puah!
Nevermind.
d2_racing, please could you post your xorg.conf. Thank you.
pknet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: radeon 9250 with ati drivers Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what kind of glxgears scores did you get with the binary drivers?

...ehm I don't know since I can't install binary drivers :roll:

with xf86 drivers i reach I think ~500FPS with EXA and ~700FPS with XAA. :cry: I think it isn't a good score. That's why I asked for d2_racing xorg.conf.

My machine is a Athlon64 X2 3800+ with :

Code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Host Bridge (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce 250Gb PCI System Management (rev a1)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation CK8S USB Controller (rev a1)
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:05.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK8S Ethernet Controller (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Parallel ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AGP Host to PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (rev 01)
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] (Secondary) (rev 01)

Yes video card isn't the latest on the market but I had it at home, I don't play any game..... I thought it was enough for some desktop eye-candy but maybe I was wrong.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: radeon 9250 with ati drivers Reply with quote

pknet wrote:
Quote:

...ehm I don't know since I can't install binary drivers :roll:
Sorry, I assumed you had it working at an earlier stage and it was just no longer working now. :oops:

Anyway, in glxgears I get up to ~1,400 fps with exa, and ~2,100 without, so yours sound suspiciously low.

Do you know if you have a 64-bit or 128-bit model? There is a pretty big performance difference between the two.

Here's the device section for the card from my xorg.conf if you want to try it;
Code:
Section "Device"

Identifier      "ATI Radeon 9250 AGP"
        Driver          "radeon"
#       VideoRam        262144

Option  "AGPMode"       "8"
        Option  "RenderAccel"   "on"
        Option  "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
        Option  "AccelDFS"      "on"
        Option  "FBTexPercent"  "0"
        Option  "ColorTiling"   "on"
        Option  "EnablePageFlip"        "on"
        Option  "AGPFastWrite"  "off"
#       Option  "DynamicClocks" "on"
        Option  "DMAForXv"      "on"

EndSection

EXA diasbles page flipping, which explains the difference between the exa and xaa scores.

pknet wrote:
That's why I asked for d2_racing xorg.conf.
Are you sure it was d2_racing's xorg.conf you wanted?

I didn't read anything which implied he had the same card.
pknet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: radeon 9250 with ati drivers Reply with quote

Quote:

pknet wrote:
That's why I asked for d2_racing xorg.conf.
Are you sure it was d2_racing's xorg.conf you wanted?

I didn't read anything which implied he had the same card.

Ehm.... no, your are right .... I want your xorg.conf. Sorry I read
Quote:

.......have to agree with d2_racings' comment; I chose a 9250 because of the open...

with a ":" instead of ";" :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now I'm trying your configuration. I'll keep you informed. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: