Setiathome
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Setiathome Reply with quote

Hi All,

Is anyone successfully running boinc and setiathome on their SPARC. I downloaded some binaries, linked to the Seti site which are supposed to work on SPARC, but they didn't.

I downloaded the boince and setiathome source files, from the Boinc and Seti sites, and compiled them; and I'm not convinced that they working properly. They are running but no work has been processed in two weeks.

TIA
recupero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You downloaded and compiled the sources most likely (ie using portage)
I did the same thing. In my opinion there would be no project to attach to boinc, due to the fact what is attached is a binary which wont likely be for sparc-linux

The package in portage setiathomes compiles too, but havent tried further on that.
So, given that I am concerned with p2p-computing for scientific purposes, what project is submitting the code so that we can contribute?
Drunkula
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have it running on my Ultra 2E not too long ago. To be honest I don't recall the specifics. I think I ran the Boinc client from portage with an optimized S@H app for the sparc64 platform. That machine is not currently not active (a dual 300Mhz Ultrasparc II) because it was SLOW! I think at best I got about 50 RAC out of it (enhanced - not S@H classic). I had a hard time justifying the cost of running the box for its actual output.

I will try to locate the specifics when i get home. Since I currently don't have a place I can run that box it may not be any time soon.
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I downloaded the source code directly from the BOINC and SETI websites. I knew that obtaining SPARC binaries would be rather difficult, at least LINUX on SPARC.

Everything compiled ok, eventually, but my SPARC's don't appear to be processing any units. I haven't been able to obtain much help through the SETI forum.
Drunkula
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I do remember is that I did not use the scripts that came with the emerged boinc client. I copied the files that portage installed to my home directory into a directory called BOINC. From there ran boinc_mgr and attached to SETI that way. Once you attach you may need to stop the Boinc Manager and actually copy the seti binar[y|ies] the projects directory under BOINC. In my case ~/BOINC/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu. Then restart the Boinc Manager. I believe that will get you going but I can't be certain.

EDIT:
My mistake! :oops: The last project I ran via Boinc was actually SIMAP although I was running Seti@Home before that. I actually don't know what version of Seti it was. According to the app_info.xml file it says version 4.70! And since I have an app_info.xml it would seem that I have a 3rd party compiled SETI app. And last but not least, I was not running the Boinc Mgr as this version is command line only, no GUI.

I may have been running this SETI app. The website looks familiar. http://www.lb.shuttle.de/apastron/boincDown.shtml#linsparc
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: