View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

np, I'm just waiting for the next development release to roll out the door to see there has been any improments on the highlighting issue.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished emerge.
Used the gtksourceview to fix gedit and everything went fine.
I just have to say the new panel rocks! Cant wait for gnome-2.4!!
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing I need now is OpenOffice in GTK2 and coaster to make a stable release of their CD burner app. oh and the ability to make my window title bar slimmer would be nice (I can't set font size, the option is greyed out in the nice GUI - but I guess that's how to do it) - because Bluecurve is a tad to big for my liking.
nepenthe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the gconf error when trying to compile nautilus, saying it cant find version 2.3
Damasz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
the ability to make my window title bar slimmer would be nice (I can't set font size, the option is greyed out in the nice GUI - but I guess that's how to do it) - because Bluecurve is a tad to big for my liking.

gconf, set: apps->metacity->general->titlebar_uses_system_font to false and you will be able to change the font in the titlebar.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damasz wrote:
Lovechild wrote:
the ability to make my window title bar slimmer would be nice (I can't set font size, the option is greyed out in the nice GUI - but I guess that's how to do it) - because Bluecurve is a tad to big for my liking.

gconf, set: apps->metacity->general->titlebar_uses_system_font to false and you will be able to change the font in the titlebar.

gconf rocks... thanks man
NeoCORE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I try to compile gconf... I keep getting the following...

Code:

hread  /usr/lib/libxml2.so -lz ../gconf/.libs/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib/libpopt.so -lm /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/liblinc.so -lssl -lcrypto /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lpthread /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so
xml-test.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [xml-test] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gconf-2.3.2/work/GConf-2.3.2/backends'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gconf-2.3.2/work/GConf-2.3.2'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

!!! ERROR: gnome-base/gconf-2.3.2 failed.
!!! Function gnome2_src_compile, Line 39, Exitcode 2
!!! compile failure

Any ideas any1?
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damasz wrote:

Thanks!!
Advocate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off thanks for the ebuilds :)

Having successfully emerged 2.3.1 I now cannot change the icons on my panel (I just get the following error)

Code:
Cannot save launcher to disk, the following error occured

Error writing file 'applications:/Internet/gaim.desktop': Read-only file system

I also cannot su anymore when in the console, I just get a permission denied message.

Any ideas?
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have ebuilds for:

gnome-panel-2.3.2
gnome-session-2.3.2
gnome-desktop-2.3.2
bug-buddy-2.3.1

Since their tarballs have been released - been running these packages since yesterday evening and they are just fine for me. I'll see if I can make gnome-panel compile within the sandbox this time.

-edit-
also should I release a patched version of gtk2 with this patch?
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-May/msg00871.html

and what about the springloaded folder patch - if it still applies to nautilus or can be fixed to do so is there a demand for it?

-edit-

here's the list of GNOME 2.4 specific bugs so far
http://www.gnome.org/~aes/gnome24-buglist.html
not_registered
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt look too bad lovechild, but i wouldnt include unless you were able to easily turn it off. it looks like it is so why not?
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
I already have ebuilds for:

gnome-panel-2.3.2
gnome-session-2.3.2
gnome-desktop-2.3.2
bug-buddy-2.3.1

Since their tarballs have been released - been running these packages since yesterday evening and they are just fine for me. I'll see if I can make gnome-panel compile within the sandbox this time.

-edit-
also should I release a patched version of gtk2 with this patch?
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-May/msg00871.html

and what about the springloaded folder patch - if it still applies to nautilus or can be fixed to do so is there a demand for it?

Patch em by all means! I'm still using the old drop-shadow patch with gtk 2.2.1-r1, but this one looks much better. The springloaded patch did apply cleanly with nautilus 2.3.1, and I've become quite fond of it...

Whenever you get these released I'll mirror em on my site if it's still cool with you...
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just do a quick release at first to allow everyone to test it out - and then clean up the builds a bit and take care of dependencies and such in a -r1 release.

I will just mail them to Lin-Matt for mirroring, and of course start a new thread. Remember I'm not a proper ebuild maintainer, I have no real knowledge of the GNOME codebase, so if something breaks just keep in mind that this is a development platform released by an insane indiviual and compiled by you - when you install this you loose every right to complain, and not only to me, to bugs.gentoo.org as well - don't complain about related matters either, unless you are 2000% sure it has nothing to do with the new GNOME.

The Gentoo devs WILL NOT accept bugs for these kinds of ebuilds and they are NOT supported by them at all.

It seems that Nautilus will be a bit late this time around maybe, the developers have changed the way your desktop is handled in a rather radical manner and it has resulted in a flamewar of a sort it seems - give them a few days.
oh and if you or your machine catches fire, etc... I'm not to blame.

-edit-

Great, ebuilds for gedit 2.3.2 and gtksourceview 0.2.1 are ready as the packages has been announced, but the sources are not yet available on the ftp server - so not tested yet.
ghetto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!! I just finished compiling 2.3.1 like two days ago, and Im still in love with it.. I cant believe how flipping fast these gnome packages are coming out lately?!?! Has someone been putting morphene in the drinking water again? Whatever is going on I just hope it doesnt let up because Im loving it!! :twisted:

So the ebuilds are on breakmygentoo i guess?
Oh and by the way, if spring-loaded can cleanly apply to nautilus and also that new gtk2 drop-shadow patch then I say DEFFINITLY put them in!!
W00t!!!

/me gives lovechild a pat on the back for a job well done..
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3.2 should have been out today :wink:
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't thank me yet, I won't put anything out till gnome 2.3.2 is announced, but the packages are dropped out of sync - unlike KDE where everything is at once. so I can test the various things now and worry later.

btw, I have the new gtk dropshadow patch installed now - it took a few tries to make it compile for some reason - had to drop the metacity speed up patch in gtk2.2.1 - which by any rate might be uninteresting with gtk 2.2.2 coming out next week (or there about) It's goddamn beautiful btw.

gnome-panel still won't comply and build inside the darn sandbox - a more radical approach might be needed. I'll rewrite the damn ebuild if I have to - compile it must.

Springloaded folder patch also applies, but with MAJOR fussiness - so this might need to be reworked a bit to match the new sources better.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
2.3.2 should have been out today :wink:

I wouldn't count on it... but if it is - bare with me for a short delay, I have a ticket to see Matrix Reloaded in.... 1h20m (not that I'm counting :) )
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading that thread on the nautilus debate I gotta agree with lovechild on this one... Besides, in the grand scheme of things the Matrix is far more important! ;)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin_Matt wrote:
After reading that thread on the nautilus debate I gotta agree with lovechild on this one... Besides, in the grand scheme of things the Matrix is far more important! ;)

To be honest I didn't read the whole thing yet - I'm saving it for a rainy day - you know when I have the time for a prolonged flamewar, weeding out the facts of those things are damn hard at times.

but basically I think they are bitching about weither ~/.desktop or ~/Desktop is most correct - and then there's a ~/ fraction it seems - and the maintainer just went ahead and changed the default behavior without asking first so now some people have really got their panties in a twist. Very confusing stuff, but the end result will probably be a short delay, because of this and the fact that 2.3.1 was delayed for a few days.
Lin_Matt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

To be honest I didn't read the whole thing yet - I'm saving it for a rainy day - you know when I have the time for a prolonged flamewar, weeding out the facts of those things are damn hard at times.

but basically I think they are bitching about weither ~/.desktop or ~/Desktop is most correct - and then there's a ~/ fraction it seems - and the maintainer just went ahead and changed the default behavior without asking first so now some people have really got their panties in a twist. Very confusing stuff, but the end result will probably be a short delay, because of this and the fact that 2.3.1 was delayed for a few days.

Yea... The debate is over where your desktop files should be. The maintainer did change it to ~/Desktop (logical choice IMHO) and people are bitching to no end. Seems to me that having ~/Desktop as the default with a gconf key to change it would be the best way to go. Either way I wanna release today! :D
swat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was already in ~/Desktop (it is on ere anyway)

Simon
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I _REALLY_ want my gnome desktop to be ${HOME} - it seems logical for me (I'm a big fan of logic it seems). but if I get a GCONF key to set it, I'm fine with ~/Desktop for the 2.4 release, so applications get a change to change behavior. But I really do think it would be easier for the user if it was ${HOME}, but it looks like a lot of work.

Alan Cox actually pointed out a very important point - /Desktop needs be used with caution. because it might lead to hardlinking, and that would be bad for internationalization (long word, I hope I got it right :) ) - fx. in my country people might prefer /Skrivebord since that would be the correct name for it.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a gconf key is almost necessary at this point. I would not want Nautilus to draw all 444 of my folders in $HOME on my desktop everytime it went to draw, not even the first time....no, no....I like a clean desktop, a few icons in the panel, and then nautilus there if I need it. I like simplicity, and 444 folders on the desktop isn't going to cut it. Perhaps the best thing to do at this point is ~/Desktop, and to answer the deal about hardlinking, you can always make a softlink from ~/Desktop to ~/Skrivebord, effectively elminating the problem :)

Karl
swat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
I _REALLY_ want my gnome desktop to be ${HOME} - it seems logical for me (I'm a big fan of logic it seems). but if I get a GCONF key to set it, I'm fine with ~/Desktop for the 2.4 release, so applications get a change to change behavior. But I really do think it would be easier for the user if it was ${HOME}, but it looks like a lot of work.

Alan Cox actually pointed out a very important point - /Desktop needs be used with caution. because it might lead to hardlinking, and that would be bad for internationalization (long word, I hope I got it right :) ) - fx. in my country people might prefer /Skrivebord since that would be the correct name for it.

Hmmm - kinda makes sense to me - then again - I can see why it'd be annoying

Simon
swat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Lin_Matt wrote:

Where can i find these nteresting debates?

Simon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: