JRE on Alpha?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lupin_the_3rd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: JRE on Alpha? Reply with quote

Am I reading it wrong or is there no Java runtime environment available on alpha platform?? I thought there were some OSS java implementations out there and that we didn't have to rely on Sun's binary java distribution any longer?
64bit PCI: BCM5703 Gig-E (Compaq NC7771)
64bit PCI: Sil3124 SATA w/ mdadm RAID1 (pair of WD VelociRaptors)
Kloeri
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's several open source implementations available. The best options are probably Kaffe and SableVM. But a complete JRE is much more than just the byte-code compiler and interpreter - you need all the libraries too.

Libraries can (for the most part) be provided by Classpath but I don't think we have any way of saying (kaffe + classpath) == jre or anything like that. And then you also need to factor in that there's some longstanding issues with both kaffe and sablevm on alpha, although both have been getting much better the last year or so.

Kaffe used to fail about 143 tests out of 150 and is now down to a more manageable 7 failed tests iirc :)

In any case, Java on Alpha can be done but it's not something we can officially support at this point.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: