Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Neglected system - Massive upgrades - Questions...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Neglected system - Massive upgrades - Questions... Reply with quote

So I've got three Gentoo systems that have been much neglected over the last year or so. I've managed to get things emerged up to a decent level and have things almost complete. I do have a couple of nagging issues though.

1. I can't reboot the system. A "reboot" or "shutdown -r" results in the system shutting down, but hanging at "Restarting system." It never actually triggers a reboot. I've played with power settings in the kernel and the BIOS, but haven't found aything to correct this issue.

2. It's completely nit-picky here, but my system seems to think the DNS domain is (none). I've got a /etc/dnsdomainname file with the domain in it, but that doesn't seem to work. Googling around, I've also tried making sure /etc/hosts had a fully qualified hostname in /etc/hosts. I've also tried adding
Code:
dns_domain_lo="my.domain.com"

to the /etc/conf.d/net file... None of thise seems to solve my problem

3. Finally, given that I've done massive amounts of rebuilds, upgrades, adds and hacks... Is there a way to just tell the system to rebuild everything?

Thanks so much folks!
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3. is the easiest Rebuilding everything can be achieved by emerge -e system to rebuild the toolchain and emerge -e world for the rest. You may want to do both so your toolchain is up to speed when doing emerge -e world, since i assume you had a gcc upgrade in there as well right? Did you follow the upgrade guide for GCC btw. That saves you a lot of trouble.

2. There is no file /etc/dnsdomainname anymore. You set the domainname in /etc/conf.d/domainname or into /etc/resolv.conf directly. Still dns_domain_lo should work as well I think.

1. Did that occur before the upgrade as well? If yes then It's a kernel issue. I remember a setting just for that. If not have oyu done a proper etc-upgrade? The baselayout got a fair makeover, maybe you forgot to get the files in sync that might cause something like that I think.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Other Things Gentoo.
Not about getting gentoo installed, so moved here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
AndyB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaste wrote:
3. is the easiest Rebuilding everything can be achieved by emerge -e system to rebuild the toolchain and emerge -e world for the rest. You may want to do both so your toolchain is up to speed when doing emerge -e world, since i assume you had a gcc upgrade in there as well right? Did you follow the upgrade guide for GCC btw. That saves you a lot of trouble.

Excellent. This is running as I type this... I don't think I followed the "standard" procedures, but yeah a GCC upgrade was part of this. Definitely caused me some troubles I'm sure I should have been able to avoid... :P

Kaste wrote:
2. There is no file /etc/dnsdomainname anymore. You set the domainname in /etc/conf.d/domainname or into /etc/resolv.conf directly. Still dns_domain_lo should work as well I think.

Hmmm... no clue why this isn't working then. I have the /etc/conf.d/domainname file in place... Odd.

Kaste wrote:
1. Did that occur before the upgrade as well? If yes then It's a kernel issue. I remember a setting just for that. If not have oyu done a proper etc-upgrade? The baselayout got a fair makeover, maybe you forgot to get the files in sync that might cause something like that I think.

Unfortunately, these things have been so neglected that I really don't know if it is onging or not. It was over a year since they were last rebooted...
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the kernel setting is this
Look for Enable X86 board specific fixups for reboot (X86_REBOOTFIXUPS) under Processor Type and Features.

Do an etc-update first please and see if that fixes it. If not you can always try that option.
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's been a year, there may be no sense in upgrading since almost every important package including the toolchain has had a major update in that time. You might be better off completely backing-up your current installations and starting from scratch. If you choose to do the upgrade you're looking at at least one complete re-emerge anyway. You might find that with a clean installation you fix some of those niggling problems too.

There is a good set of tips, tricks, and suggestions for doing large system updates in the Gentoo wiki: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Update_a_huge_system_-_hints_and_pitfalls.

HTH,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
AndyB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madisonicus wrote:
If it's been a year, there may be no sense in upgrading since almost every important package including the toolchain has had a major update in that time. You might be better off completely backing-up your current installations and starting from scratch. If you choose to do the upgrade you're looking at at least one complete re-emerge anyway. You might find that with a clean installation you fix some of those niggling problems too.

Might be true, but one if the systems is actually remote. (Both are supposed to be remote, but we had a file system fill up and corrupt itself.) As it is, both systems are fully re-emerged and I think I'm good with the nagging issue of not actually rebooting when requested... (Luckily I have a remote power station that lets me pull the plug on them remotely.)

I enabled X86 board specific fixups for reboots in the kernel, but I'm still having that problem. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm at a loss on this...

The (null) domain issue was corrected my making my fully qualified DNS name the first one listed next to 127.0.0.1 in the /etc/hosts file... Odd, but there ya go.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: