View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bungopolis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: OpenOffice.org 2 font rendering issue Reply with quote

I've added to my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

to get OO.org to fit in with my GTK theme (I'm not using Gnome or KDE, so OO.org was quite ugly). Unfortunately, though, the fonts in OO.org are not respecting my ~/.fonts.conf antialiasing settings (no antialiasing between sizes 8 and 18) which are respected by all other GTK apps and look fine. How can I force OO.org to stop antialiasing these fonts -- they look very muddy on my screen.
bszente
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org 2 font rendering issue Reply with quote

Bungopolis wrote:
I've added to my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

to get OO.org to fit in with my GTK theme (I'm not using Gnome or KDE, so OO.org was quite ugly). Unfortunately, though, the fonts in OO.org are not respecting my ~/.fonts.conf antialiasing settings (no antialiasing between sizes 8 and 18) which are respected by all other GTK apps and look fine. How can I force OO.org to stop antialiasing these fonts -- they look very muddy on my screen.

I had the same problem, but I managed to solve it by disabling in Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org -> View the Use system font for user interface option. By disabling it, OOo use the default GTK+ (Gnome) fonts. Note that, I do not have that OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP export.
TheChessPlayer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with OpenOffice is that it doesn't pass the right parameters to FreeType. If you have the TrueType bytecode interpreter enabled ( BCI ) it is a problem because the way Freetype is initialized by OpenOffice enables the autohinter even if you disabled it in your system or user fonts config files. There is quick and dirty way to patch the OpenOffice sources to avoid this if you have BCI enabled.

Here is the way I patched the version 2.0.4 :

The source file to patch is vcl/source/glyphs/gcach_ftyp.cxx found in the OOO-2_0_4-core.tar.bz2 archive.
I added to the FreetypeServerFont::FreetypeServerFont( const ImplFontSelectData& rFSD, FtFontInfo* pFI ) function the following line of code :
mnLoadFlags = FT_LOAD_DEFAULT
It overrides all mnLoadFlags initializations and it renders now every TrueType fonts as well as any other apps. It is not a good patch since it doesn't remove the offending lines of code but rather overrides them. If I have some time I'll write a better patch that respects the fonts system and user settings.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: