View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzetto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: How to activate unicode input? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a problem with unicode.

My objective is to enter in applications such as KWrite, Mozilla, or others, text encoded in utf-8.
What I really need is the possibility of writing non-Latin1 characters as in the sentence eĥoŝanĝo ĉiuĵaŭde (It's a test-text in Esperanto that contains all its six non-ASCII characters).

Ideally I would punch the dead key for circumflex and then c, g, h, j, or s to obtain the respective letter. I have already dead keys on my keyboard and have already tinkered a bit with the layout (I am now using a customised Norwegian Dvorak layout on my computer) and with xmodmap stuff.

Somehow the system was already active in RedHat 8.0 and 9.0, but I am not familiar with the system under Gentoo. I know I have to enable a unicode-capable locale, but how? Can anyone enlighten me?

At this link there is a page that explains how to do it under RedHat 7.3 (page in Esperanto)... too bad it does not work out for Gentoo.

bye,
-Federico
rounin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! You can easily generate a Unicode locale:

localedef -f UTF-8 -i en_US en_US.UTF-8
localedef -f UTF-8 -i nb_NO nb_NO.UTF-8

However, I don't think those will help you enter Esperanto. Try looking for Esperanto input methods. Especially if you mainly use GTK+ 2 applications, you can look for input modules just for GTK+ 2.
orzetto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, but I managed to fix it since last year...

I actually made a web page with a keyboard layout to enter any latin character in ASCII, Latin-1 and Latin Extended A, plus the € symbol.

All this works on the X level, so it should work both for GKT+ and Qt.

EDIT: for some reason € was displayed freakily.

Last edited by orzetto on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
rounin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, with Scandinavian letters, support for pinyin and the option of Dvorak! I don't know what to say; that's fantastic.

That license was odd though. The only suggestion I have to make it worse is if you made it into a sort of a pyramid scheme, so that everyone making modifications to the files would have to mail you and the people above them. ;)
orzetto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the licence - when I wrote the original Windows page I just did not know much about Linux or GPL. I guess I should banish my laziness and fix that...
rounin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't offer any advice there, but I think "banish my laziness" is a wonderful expression. :)
petterah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Norwegian UTF8 Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi all, I have tried to search for this, but no luck, I also found something about UTF on the gentoo-wiki, but without luck. My problem is, the console, or consolefont in gentoo, I don't have support for æøå, the norwegian letters. If I turn of UNICODE="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, and set /etc/conf.d/consolefont CONSOLEFONT="lat0-16" and /etc/conf.d/keymap KEYMAP="no" or "no-latin1" i have æøå, but I guess no UTF8. Since UNICODE="YES" is the default in rc.conf, I would like to keep UTF8 support, and also æøå. I have tried CONSOLEFONT="default8x16" and 9w-16 something, with UNICODE="YES" but then there vere garbage at the login prompt, and weird behavior with the bash shell. With the default font, i get {|} when i try æøå :)

I hope somebody would give some hints on this topic, since I'm lost. I guess this is no show stopper, but I would like to have everything work as expected.

Another thing... in gnome, gnome-terminal defaults to "Character Encoding" = "Current Locale ANSI_X3.4-1968", and not UTF8. Setting UFT8 here gives æøå since my xorg.conf has "Option" "XkbLayout" "no", but on the next boot, gnome-terminal defaults to the weird ANSI locale again.. really annoying :wink:

Regards Petter
keyson
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a look on this UTF-8 wiki

I run UTF-8 and swedish setup.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged above two posts here.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: