xchat fserve compatibility with irc servers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: xchat fserve compatibility with irc servers Reply with quote

This topic is a logical extension to https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=51932
The reason i have started a new topic is that i am looking for generic solution of fserving:
1. Behind Firewalls
2. Mirc Compatible IRC servers

Most of the fserve servers on irc these days usually run scripts like sysreset,excursion,invasion etc. which are aptly suited for bypassing firewalls.
However there is no direct script for xchat(which i use) for doing the same thing.
Mirc has a special command called /dccserver +sc on 59, which connects to port 59 of remote machines which are behind firewalls. This command directs all the dcc traffic to this port on the remote server. More details here
This command is a pain in the ass, because:
1. /dccserver is a mirc proprietary command.
2. It wants the port 59 to be open which comes under the root arena.

However, these problems have been solved. The /dccserver patch for xchat is available here
Moreover, the a portforwarding can be implemented to forward the port 59 to any normal port>1024. The details of these are available here.

All these things said, i was not able to fserve files to others!! The /dccserver is working fine for me, but other users have not been able to copy my stuff. I have not been able to test my setup, so i want somebody to help me test my setup. If you are on some irc channel which supports fserve and behind a firewall, please post ur nickname and irc channel. Maybe this information may eventually go to tricks Forum.
Hope this information was helpfull.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: