Gentoo on new Duel 1.25Ghz PowerMac G4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kepeli83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on new Duel 1.25Ghz PowerMac G4 Reply with quote

I just got my new Duel G4 a couple of weeks ago and have been tryingto get gentoo on there, but can't get past the first step. I'm using the aiport extreme card built in to connect to the Graphite AP Base station which is hooked up to the cable modem accross the house. It's the only way I can connect to the internet. My question is, is there support for AP Extreme cards built into the cd or is there some way that someone knows about to allow me to set up the internet so that I can get gentoo onto my machine? Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm a newbie, and I have 2 friends who have been running gentoo for years now, though they can't figure out PPC
Odin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that most new wireless lan cards just don't work, as the manufacturers don't like to release specs so we can get drivers. This was specifically in reference to the new Intel wireless cards (that you get with a Centrino notebook) but it sounded like there is pretty much no support for anything but the oldest wireless cards out there. :cry:
Vond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as for getting it installed, you could probably just temporarily drag the machine into the room with the cable modem. But you're probably not going to get the AirPort Extreme card working right away. Maybe a temporary solution with a regular 802.11b card/USB adaptor?
kepeli83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help, I'll try to connect it directly to the cable modem this weekend when I go home again. It's tough because there is no space in that room (my parents' room). As for the other suggestion, I have no money to spend on any adapters, I'm a poor college student, not to mention I just dropped a lot more money on this computer than anyone ever should :) I'll give it a try on the direct connect to the cable modem and post an update. Just so you all know, I have found wireless tools something or other that suports 802.11g, but it still doesn't help me bc it's not on the install cd, so I have to get the install complete then emerge wireless tools
r0cket-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on new Duel 1.25Ghz PowerMac G4 Reply with quote

kepeli83 wrote:
I just got my new Duel G4 a couple of weeks ago and have been tryingto get gentoo on there, but can't get past the first step. I'm using the aiport extreme card built in to connect to the Graphite AP Base station which is hooked up to the cable modem accross the house. It's the only way I can connect to the internet. My question is, is there support for AP Extreme cards built into the cd or is there some way that someone knows about to allow me to set up the internet so that I can get gentoo onto my machine? Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm a newbie, and I have 2 friends who have been running gentoo for years now, though they can't figure out PPC

Well, I assume the Mac has an onboard ethernet adapter, yeah?

If you don't mind spending the money, you can get a wireless bridge.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: