View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NobodyCares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Eve Online & GTK? Reply with quote

So, I checked around some more, and realized that I didn't have some of the required programs to run EVE, which would explain my problems. However, I can't figure out how/where I can get GTK2 and glade2, as there seem to be no ebuilds. Can anyone help me out with this? I'm referring to this page here:
http://support.eve-online.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=379
petteyg359
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
emerge gtk+ glade
Drac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: EVE online issues Reply with quote

Hey all... EVE recently launched a linux client (w/ a cedega wrapper) and I cant get it to launch, get this error:

drac@localhost ~ $ eve
Single-user install...
This is the update checker...
Running /home/drac/.cedega/.updater/cedega_updater.py
/home/drac/.cedega/.updater/gddb.py:26: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module gddb_parser: This Python has API version 1013, module gddb_parser has version 1012.
import gddb_parser
Running... /home/drac/.cedega/.ui/runGUI
/home/drac/.cedega/.ui/gddb.py:24: RuntimeWarning: Python C API version mismatch for module gddb_parser: This Python has API version 1013, module gddb_parser has version 1012.
import gddb_parser
drac@localhost ~ $ err:client:receive_fd FD went missing; attempting recovery
wine client perror:0: write/writev: Bad file descriptor

I have emerged GLADE as it is the only Cedega dep. Portage finds, I also can't post on EVE forums as I need to make a character ingame to post there... dont have a doze install.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged one post.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
dixtow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks, that's helped a lot. It installed.

But... I have a new problem.

I open my console, type eve, I see the trinity splash screen for a few seconds; poof, screen goes black with a small mouse cursor. All I can do is hit ctrl-alt-del and choose logout (if I choose task manager nothing happens).

I couldn't tell you about sound, I don't have sound set up on my box.... Always found it annoying so never bothered.
dixtow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just 'a black login screen.' The whole monitor goes black. The only response I can conjure from the system is by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the menu to execute task manager (KDE) or log out of session. Only arrow keys work, mouse does move around screen, but it does not do anything when I click, even when the CTRL-ALT-DEL menu pops up, the mouse cannot effect it.

I stuck arial.ttf in the ~/.cedega/.transgaming_global/Fonts directory, just to cover my bases; made no difference. Identical issue persists.

I followed the Gentoo nVidia Guide for setting up 3D...? Is there something else I am missing?
martigan80
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowIce wrote:
Hehe, I wrote one as well... https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198274

My RDEPEND is mostly what is included in the cedega ebuild. I just removed glade, because it seems to work without that as well.

Well here is a quick one.

I followed the above post to add the ebuild, but when I enter the final command I get:

Code:

localhost eveonline # ebuild eve-online-000062-r1.ebuild digest
Appending /usr/local/portage to PORTDIR_OVERLAY...
!!! /usr/local/portage/games-rpg/eveonline/eve-online-000062-r1.ebuild does not seem to have a valid PORTDIR structure.

I followed the directions at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds to add

Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"

in my /etc/make.conf, but I still get the same problem. What am I missing here-besides a clue.
Rad
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
/usr/local/portage/games-rpg/eveonline/
should be
Code:
/usr/local/portage/games-rpg/eve-online/
T7g
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run into a problem getting from character select into station/space then check the console you started eve from (or start it from the console and watch)

If it says something along the lines of; sh: lsb-release command not found then you'll need to emerge lsb-release and everything should work great after that.

I ran into this issue on AMD64 so perhaps someone else might as well.
Malakai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sys-apps/lsb-release [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 1.4
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 10 kB
Homepage: http://www.linuxbase.org/
Description: LSB version query program
License: GPL-2

You sure it's ok to unmask it?

Actually now that I emerged glade all runs fine, except audio cuts in & out if hardware accel checked or not checked. The client reports

ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
rgviza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixtow wrote:
ok, thanks, that's helped a lot. It installed.

But... I have a new problem.

I open my console, type eve, I see the trinity splash screen for a few seconds; poof, screen goes black with a small mouse cursor. All I can do is hit ctrl-alt-del and choose logout (if I choose task manager nothing happens).

I couldn't tell you about sound, I don't have sound set up on my box.... Always found it annoying so never bothered.

Make sure sound is disabled:
$ winecfg
go to sound settings and make sure it's all unchecked. Do this as the user running the game.

I noticed wine/eve will hang if you have sound enabled but there's no driver.

I'm still trying to get the sound working on something besides OSS o/

One thing that honestly surprised me is how smooth the sound is on OSS tho. It was never that smooth in windows. I got a lot of dropouts and popping in windows. The only issue is if you use OSS, it blocks. I'm still trying to figure out jack to impersonate OSS or play nice with wine. Hopefully I'll finish the wiki instructions tonight.

I'd have finished last night but figured I should go to bed after I nodded off the second time :lol:

-Viz
meeneque
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, did anyone of you tried/managed to get EveMon running under linux (not wine)?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meeneque wrote:
Guys, did anyone of you tried/managed to get EveMon running under linux (not wine)?

nope, i used evetimer the whole time.

cheers

Moriakul
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Eek! Reply with quote

Code:

[prompt] # eve
ARGS are -GAME EveOnline-linux
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Looking for log.ini file. No CEDEGA_PATH; trying CEDEGA_UPDATER_PATH.
F1 2008-03-12 13:24:51,629 WARNING Don't forget to set up skins for the game EveOnline-linux
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  self.widgets = gtk.glade.XML(GLADE_FILE, None)
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: GtkWarning: gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: Warning: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/eve/license_gui.py:31: GtkWarning: gdk_keymap_get_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/usr/bin/eve: line 88: 11217 Segmentation fault      python ${CEDEGA_UPDATER_PATH}/cedega_installer.py $ARGS
[prompt] #

Help...
meeneque
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers bunder

I didn't know that something like evetimer exists.
I've read that's some people managed to compile EveMon under mono, that's why I asked.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know if ati users are still getting the royal screwjob? :lol:

Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: EVE Online Reply with quote

Add me to your buddylists, those who play!

"Clete Blackwell"

I just purchased a subscription today and I am currently loving the game. It's complicated, but a lot of fun.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heresyte wrote:
Code:

Running... /home/heresyte/.cedega/.ui/runGUI
err:client:receive_fd FD went missing; attempting recovery
wine client perror:0: write/writev: Bad file descriptor

thought i'd try installing eve again, and i'm getting this error... did anyone find the fix to it?

cheers

edit: dbus wasn't running although i had thought it was. :?

Last edited by bunder on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
K T A
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no solution for the error you posted, but you should consider installing the classic client using wine 0.9.59 - it works flawless for me...

KTA
jensetsu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eve premium client works here (mostly) after installing wine 0.9.60 on ~amd64, also following the instructions from winehq. However, there are random top crashes, which is rather annoying!! For example, there's still that crash on the character creating screen, and HDR doesn't work... Something else I've noticed - when in space, you always have something selected unless you warp somewhere first... What this means, is that you can't right-click and select any stations or stargates. Very annoying, but the game is still usable *sigh* :?

I was surprised that there isn't a Gentoo corporation in EVE, perhaps I should post a topic in OFW to gauge people's interest? 8)
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jensetsu wrote:
The eve premium client works here (mostly) after installing wine 0.9.60 on ~amd64, also following the instructions from winehq. However, there are random top crashes, which is rather annoying!! For example, there's still that crash on the character creating screen, and HDR doesn't work... Something else I've noticed - when in space, you always have something selected unless you warp somewhere first... What this means, is that you can't right-click and select any stations or stargates. Very annoying, but the game is still usable *sigh* :?

I was surprised that there isn't a Gentoo corporation in EVE, perhaps I should post a topic in OFW to gauge people's interest? 8)

I would be interested. I tried to search for a Linux group, but then I realized you can only look at corps that are in your region. :(
K T A
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... using wine 0.9.59 and 0.9.60 the game runs great with no crashes at all. But I can't speak for the premium client since I can't activate the option. I'm quite new to this, but a Gentoo Corp. would be fun!

KTA
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd consider it... if i got more than 5fps... :cry:

Metraxis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem to several of the other people here. I'v gotten the tgz from the offical site, unpacked it in accordance with the instructions, and done a signle-user install. Here's the results of my attempts to actually run it:

Code:

lee@lee ~ $ eve
Single-user install...
This is the update checker...
Running /home/lee/.cedega/.updater/cedega_updater.py
Running... /home/lee/.cedega/.ui/runGUI
lee@lee ~ $

The Trinity splash appears for a second or two, then vanishes and I get the shell back. I'd hoped that adding ~amd64 for lsb-release would help, but while it killed the error message, the game simple will not run.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lsb-release isn't what's causing that... you don't need it, you might as well uninstall it...

i guess a couple things to check are your video/audio drivers, and also check "uncle sev's guide" in the linux section of the eve forums... he's got some pictures and descriptions of some settings that eve uses.

cheers

ps: you could also try installing this ebuild instead of installing the tgz by hand... it would ensure you have all the deps needed.

pps: don't forget to start dbus. :wink:

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: