NTFS Storage partition via ntfs-3g
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shedoks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: NTFS Storage partition via ntfs-3g Reply with quote

I have dual boot and i need win for my job.
Anyway the fact is i have a smal hdd on my laptop, only 40GB and the practice show it's too small 20gb for each OS.
If you assume i have a storage partition on each os it would be much easier for me to hold all data on ntfs becouse now i can write from each os to that FS.

What do you think about it. On that partition i don't have high value data, it's usually partition where i download my data.

Thanks
sp7xfq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using ext3 partition and ext2fs windows driver for several months without any problem.
If you working on windows more than on linux choose ntfs, but if you prefer linux IMHO better will be ext3.

BTW I've tried reiser driver for windows also, but it's a bit unstable and I've got often `windows error message box` - blue screen :lol: :D

Feel free to correct my English
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont open your linux system to windows virus and security problems by giving windose an ext driver. :x This seems to me to largely negate the point of having a secure OS .

vfat is not the best fs , but the simplest answer.

ntfs-3g is promising but I cant say it has enough milage to trust it as a major option.

captive would seem safest option if you _need_ rw acces to ntfs.

I favour a moderate vfat partition that gets used as a common area, I use kernel ntfs (ro) if I need to grab something from windose.

HTH
KKtm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentree wrote:
dont open your linux system to windows virus and security problems by giving windose an ext driver. :x This seems to me to largely negate the point of having a secure OS .

vfat is not the best fs , but the simplest answer.

ntfs-3g is promising but I cant say it has enough milage to trust it as a major option.

captive would seem safest option if you _need_ rw acces to ntfs.

I favour a moderate vfat partition that gets used as a common area, I use kernel ntfs (ro) if I need to grab something from windose.

HTH

Where's the point?

It doesn't really change things if you give windows an ext-driver or linux an vfat/ntfs/whatever-driver. It's a volume where both os have write access and windows can place it's viruses on a vfat-volume as well. Nevertheless, it's as far as I see only a data partition, so windows won't even have access to the system files anyway. And what's the problem with having a virus on a partition if its code never gets executed (ok, there's still the point that it needs some space, but that's negligible... :) )
Did I miss some important point that will make the ext3-solution really worse than others??? For my point I'd stick to this solution, because ntfs-3g isn't considered stable so far afaik ant vfat isn't a journalling filesystem, what's in my opinion not the best solution for a larger partition (say several gigs)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the assumption that your linux system was on ext3. If you have linux on reiserfs or reiser4 then it would in that respect be safe to use ext from windows.

The point is that if you get some malware or other shit hit windows you do not want it to have any knowlege of you linux system when that happens.

clearly if you wish to have a shared partition then the data on that partition will be at risk from whatever vulnerabilities are presented by _both_ systems.

That is why I prefer to separate as much as is possible , above all from the windose end.

8)
irgu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KKtm wrote:
ntfs-3g isn't considered stable so far afaik

It seems to be stable for months from reliability, but not feature wise: http://www.ntfs-3g.org/
The driver currently is in BETA status, which means that no data corruption or loss has been reported during ordinary driver use, nor found in our extensive quality testing before release of the latest version, however we are aware of certain usability issues and driver limitations which are all documented and planned to be resolved in the future. It may be revealing about the high reliability of the NTFS-3G driver that an increasing number of users find hidden hardware faults, and several Microsoft released NTFS bugs during NTFS-3G testing and usage.

They have even links to the Microsoft NTFS driver bugs they have tracked down and people believed it was ntfs-3g faults :-)

Btw, Captive. Try below and object it crashing and losing files:
Code:
for i in `seq 1 100` ; do touch $i ; done

It seems, it also couldn't run the bonnie++ benchmark. From http://www.ntfs-3g.org/performance.html
Always crashes and loses files. Well, no wonder, if it uses the buggy Microsoft driver :-)

On the other hand, I could bootstrap Gentoo on NTFS root fine, after finding out I also need the dev and exec mount options which are disabled by default due to security reasons :-)
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Ext2fsd seems pretty solid on Windows, and vfat is said to be a bad FS in hardware terms, because every write operation writes to the same sector(s) of the disk, wearing it out prematurely. (I don't know enough about other FS to know how others avoid this, though.)

Ideally a shared data-partition should be mounted no-exec in both OSes, but I don't know if Windows (or the ext2fsd driver) permits this.
jbdubbs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using ntfs-3g ever since it came out. No usability, speed, or reliability issues, and I'm using it for transferring large and small files on a daily basis. I'd have to say that it's the best option for having a shared storage space between Windows XP and Linux. Note, however, that KDE has a hard time mounting an ntfs-3g partition because of its running via fuse. The mount args are too long and it craps out. Not sure about Gnome.

I would refrain from using vfat because it lacks features and wastes space. I would also skip ext2fs because it doesn't use the journaling features of the partition. If the power goes out, or the computer hard locks (like windows likes to do), you're back to the old ext2 days, waiting for fsck to run and potentially running into data loss. I'd say that even a beta driver is more reliable than that.
Shedoks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
As i said before it would be a storage data with no crucial files. Movies mp3's, programs, and i think distfiles but as i can see it isn't the safest way (mabye if i put it into the folder and lock that folder in win for all include administrator via ntfs permitions)
Gentree
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't quite understand your last comment , but if you're still refering to using ext3fs on windows dont dream about making it safe. When a virus gets in you've lost control.

It can trash the disk or burn out the cpu but if you dont give it a driver to access your linux partitions at least nothing can get altered.

Most viruses aim to modify fs contents rather than wipe unknown partitions.

Like I said above , I dont see the point in having a stable OS and then opening it up to all the mess going on in Gatesville. You'll end up needing to slow Linux down with a permanent AV as well.

8)
Shedoks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well
1st I have been using comp since 1995 and i have never heard about such a problem like burning cpu coz of virus :) (from people i know :) i don't say they don't exist)

2nd I'm trying to keep it safe as it possible (on win :D) so i don't visit suspicious site etc

3rd i need shared partition and i don't want ext3fs but ntfs (as you can see in topic name)

my comment was that data on that partition my be wiped out and i don't care
and the question was, is it secure to store distfiles on that (ntfs) partition with no permition in win (ntfs permition deny r/w all include admins group)
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK ntfs-3G doesn't really deal with permissions yet, so even if you set permissions on your chosen $DISTDIR in Windows, it's possible that they may inadvertently get altered/corrupted while you're in Gentoo. Only one way to find out I guess :twisted:

In any case, be cautious when setting Deny entries for groups, especially Administrators. Whatever you do don't do what I once did, and Deny a bunch of permissions from the Everyone group -- including the permission to edit permissions :oops: that took some getting out of.
Shedoks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm i guess i will have to try :)

i have dual boot at office but i don't use win there so i guess i can crash it down :D :twisted: :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: