Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Goddamn GTK+ Installer wiped my partitions!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher wrote:
"Resolving primates.ximian.com... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution."

Name resolution works OK for me:
Code:
$ ping primates.ximian.com
PING primates.ximian.com (130.57.169.34)

It might have been a temporary problem with their nameservers. Or your nameservers might be unreliable - what's in /etc/resolv.conf?

I personally prefer to use bind (same software as 99% of the Internet), rather than trust an ISP's nameservers.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If my network weren't set up properly, wouldn't my "emerge" command fail entirely -- or does "emerge" extract items already on my hard drive and not from the internet?

Emerge is able to run by itself, but if it needs a new package from the internet, and can't connect to the internet, then it'll produce the error message you have shown. Emerge doesnt' check for network support when started (can run fine without network, just can't downlaod new source). Often essental packages come in the stage3 tarball you unpack as the first step in the installation process I think, because I noticed I don't have to download things right away either.

The problem could also be caused by a bad MIRRORS setting in /etcmake.conf. I do not recomend setting the 'MIRRORS' option in make.conf at all in fact. The default behaviour seems sane.

When it happens again, post these to help us analyze the problem
# ifconfig -a #show network devices w/ drivers
# route # show kernel routing table (may take a few seconds, esp. if network is douwn)
# ping -c 3 google.com # google should be up
# ping -c 3 66.41.120.249 # my ip, doesn't rely on name resolution
# whereis dhcpcd; whereis dhclient; # tell us what dhcp client you're using.

Then try to see if it can get working
# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
if that doesn't work....
# killall -KILL dhcpcd; dhcpcd eth0;

Don't worry, networking is (almost always) easy in linux ; )
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul: In answer to your question "what's in /etc/resolv.conf? "

Mybox jim # cat /etc/resolv.conf
search hsd1.wa.comcast.net
nameserver 192.168.0.1

Paul and Erik: In regard to any "ping" commands you suggest, all I get is a variable result worded as "unknown host google.com" or Destination Host Unreachable." Is my "ping" working?

Erik: When I tried to execute "killall -KILL dhcpcd; dhcpcd eth0", I got the result "command not found"

A possibly greater need for me, though, at this time, in order to be able to give you the information you need -- I do not know the procedure for copying and pasting from the Gentoo terminal. When I previously was able to provide you the information, I was working from within Ubuntu, so copying and pasting was a more known procedure for me. What are the keystrokes I need to use to copy and paste from the terminal?

Another thought: In installing my other distros, I believe the network configurations were automatic. For Gentoo I believe I've had to enter the necessary information from the keyboard, and using the Quickinstall instructions I merely typed in what was shown. I don't know whether what was shown was viable or only a suggested format!

Anyway, I don't really know if my network is set up correctly or not. My earlier downloading from the internet as part of my Gentoo installation process you may recall was through DSL or Ubuntu.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ping doesn't work on any site (and google would be a good test case)
your network isn't working. If ping works on google, but not on the site
you're trying to download from, it's a site or routing problem. Try
'ping localhost' as a first step.

If all else fails you can do what I did, and download the files you need
from a gentoo mirror using another machine and stick them in your
/usr/portage/distfiles directory. emerge looks there first.

To find which files you need, look at the ebuild for the package, somewhere
under /usr/portage.

Note that not all files come from the same place. Most come from a (nearby)
gentoo mirror, but some are downloaded directly from their home sites.

Will
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher,

This post helps you fix nextworking.

Seperate out networking is stone dead from my routing doesn't work with the following simple test.
Code:
ping 64.233.167.99
if that works but
Code:
ping google.com
fails, your networking is fine but your nameserver(s) in /etc/resolv.conf are wrong.

Compare what the liveCD gives you with what you get on your own install.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Get yourself connected. Reply with quote

dear SpadeArcher and fellows,
I finally get to say something before mr. seagoon does ; )

the Problem
I believe this problem is a result of forgetting to emerge dhcpcd or dhclient. Sound reasonable? The reason I think this is so is
SpadeArcher wrote:
Erik: When I tried to execute "killall -KILL dhcpcd; dhcpcd eth0", I got the result "command not found"

I can't remember ever having to download killall, and even if i did dhcpcd should give a message (already running, or delete /var/run/dhcpcd.pid) and fail, if it's available. Perhaps you are now asking, "How did /etc/resolv.conf get filled in then?"
SpadeArcher wrote:
Mybox jim # cat /etc/resolv.conf
search hsd1.wa.comcast.net
nameserver 192.168.0.1

The answer is probably that the livecd version was copied over to the chroot directory when installing.

The Solution
There's the easy way and the hard way. The easy way may not work, depending on your network administrator's choices.
The easy way is to set up your networking manually. Frist we use the resolv.conf file to get some idea of what kind of network we're on; since 192.168.0.1 is a nameserver, it looks like were on a LAN. We should probably have an IP like 192.168.0.117. That's just a guess but perhaps is free? So...
#ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.117;# that ip is just a guess as to one that's likely free; it's my favorite to try
#route add default gw 192.168.0.1
# ping www.google.com # does it work?
if so, then please run this command to emerge dhcpcd and use dhcp to set up the network
# emerge dhcpcd; dhcpcd eth0;
if not, you must get the program from elsewhere.
The Hard Way simply requires that you reboot into a distro that is working and download one of these:
http://distfiles.gentoo.org/distfiles/dhcpcd-2.0.5.tar.bz2 http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/dhcpcd-2.0.5.tar.bz2 http://download.berlios.de/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-2.0.5.tar.bz2
then mount /dev/sda6 on /mnt
# mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
and
# cp dhcpcd-2.0.5.tar.bz2 /mnt/usr/portage/distfiles;

You can then reboot and go back into gentoo and run
# emerge dhcpcd; dhcpcd eth0;
you've just 'downloaded' dhcpcd for gentoo ; )

Hope that works.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy/Paste in Linux
Whether at the console or in X, the process of copying and pasting text can be a quick and painless one. X makes multitasking computer using very easy, and is the preferred desktop environment for most. Some prefer or are forced to use the console, but can still use GPM to capture text and paste it into a links window or collect it into a file.

X copy/paste is quite simple. Merely select text with the mouse and then press the middle mouse button or srollwheel down. The text should be pasted. It's easy and does not require any additional configuration or installation.

Console For this you can either a) use gpm; or b) use script or redirection to 'capture' the output of certain commands into a file, and transport them from there.
a) gpm is easier to set up than I anticipated. just emerge gpm and then run it with a command such as gpm -m /dev/input/mice -t imps2 to enable gpm for text consoles. You can then select and paste with the middle button / scrollwheel button, just like you're used to in X ; )
b) redirection it isn't as quick or easy, but you can also redirect output from programs to a file, move that file to a more copy-paste friendly environment, and then copy-paste from there. For example, here's a way to get a file containing the output of lspci:
# lspci > output.txt; # overwrite the file output.txt with the output of lspci
# ifconfig eth0 >> output.txt; # append the output of ifconfig eth0 to the file output.txt, without overwriting
The script command will generate a file containing a log of your entire console session. for example:
Code:
dan@pascal ~ $ script
Script started, file is typescript
dan@pascal ~ $ uptime
 17:52:10 up 1 day, 16:21,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
dan@pascal ~ $ ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
16590 pts/5    00:00:00 bash
16595 pts/5    00:00:00 ps
dan@pascal ~ $ exit
Script done, file is typescript
dan@pascal ~ $ cat typescript
Script started on Wed Dec 13 17:52:08 2006
dan@pascal ~ $ uptime
 17:52:10 up 1 day, 16:21,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
dan@pascal ~ $ ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
16590 pts/5    00:00:00 bash
16595 pts/5    00:00:00 ps
dan@pascal ~ $ exit

Script done on Wed Dec 13 17:52:15 2006
dan@pascal ~ $

Using the script command and a computer that supports copy-paste better, you can then select that which you want to post and post it ( i like to remove my errors personally, so i look smarter than I really am ; ).

Of these,
X supports gpm-style copy-paste natively;
gpm is probably the best choice for the console, since it's easy to configure and use;
files do an OK job of transferring text but it's annoying to have to use 2 computers at once.

I recommend gpm for the console.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found dhcp much better than dhcpcd in Gentoo. Just putting that out there. I like dhcp better because it gives verbose output and tells me when it dies and when it's having problems connecting, or just taking a while.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does come from the ISC, it must be good ; ) On the other hand...
* net-misc/dhcp
Latest version available: 3.0.3-r9
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 849 kB
Homepage: http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
Description: ISC Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
License: isc-dhcp
* net-misc/dhcpcd
Latest version available: 2.0.5-r1
Latest version installed: 2.0.5-r1
Size of files: 121 kB
Homepage: http://developer.berlios.de/projects/dhcpcd/
Description: A DHCP client only
License: GPL-2

dhcp is about 7 times smaller and is covered by the GPL-2.

Is dhclient provided by the ISC? Is that the program you're talking about? It is bundled with redhat and some other distros. It seems nice, it's good stuff but so big, so verbose. I like small, quiet, elegant dhcpcd myself. I also like typing it: dhcpcd. dhcpcd. Try it, it's fun! ; )
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Guys: You've given me a lot to think about and work on -- for which I'm MOST appreciative.

Due to severe wind storms, our power has been out in much of Seattle today, and it's only come back on half-an-hour ago. So I've only been able to access your messages now (4:45 PM, PDT). Then, I'm off tomorrow out of town until next Tuesday (and I can't take my linux box with me!) Any further "gratification" for me in this matter must unfortunately thus be delayed until my return. But I'll undoubtedly be back in touch then. Regards, and thanks again, Jim
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a bit of time tonight to play around with what you all sent -- WITH SOME MORE SUCCESS!

Will: "ping localhost" provided me with a seemingly unending list (containing "icmp_seq=" with a number exceeding 600 before I aborted it.

Neddy: A similar thing happened with "ping 64.233.167.99" but with "destination host unreachable" appended. I had to abort that listing, too.

Erik:

Your "ping www.google.com" seemed to give me again a similar unending list, which I too aborted.

Then, Erik, I did your "Hard Way," downloaded distfiles tar on my Ubuntu, copied to Gentoo, ran "emerge gnome gnome-screensaver" which seems now to be compiling fine (which it's still doing after many, many minutes).

I believe I've (we've) cleared another hurdle. Again, many thanks. Let's keep our finger crossed.
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erik258 wrote:
it does come from the ISC, it must be good ; ) On the other hand...
* net-misc/dhcp
Latest version available: 3.0.3-r9
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 849 kB
Homepage: http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
Description: ISC Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
License: isc-dhcp
* net-misc/dhcpcd
Latest version available: 2.0.5-r1
Latest version installed: 2.0.5-r1
Size of files: 121 kB
Homepage: http://developer.berlios.de/projects/dhcpcd/
Description: A DHCP client only
License: GPL-2

dhcp is about 7 times smaller and is covered by the GPL-2.

Is dhclient provided by the ISC? Is that the program you're talking about? It is bundled with redhat and some other distros. It seems nice, it's good stuff but so big, so verbose. I like small, quiet, elegant dhcpcd myself. I also like typing it: dhcpcd. dhcpcd. Try it, it's fun! ; )

dhclient is included in the dhcp package. The reason I like verbose output is because sometimes my network craps out so if I can see how many times it tries I can guess whether it'll fail or not.
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many hours of compiling "emerge gnome," it seemed to come to a successful conclusion, in that I was back at my root (#) cue. However, there was something of an error message at the end, which didn't cause an abort though. It reads as follows:

!!! ERROR: dev-python/pyopengl-2.0.0.44 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1539: Called dyn_unpack
ebuild.sh, line 711: Called src_unpack
pyopengl-2.0.0.44.ebuild, line 34: Called built_with_use ‘dev-lang/python eutils.eclass, line 1617: Called die

!!! dev-lang/python-2.4.3-r1 does not actually support the tk USE flag!
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

Is this anything I need to do something about?
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately you do have to do something about it ; ( The emerge did not terminate successfully.

there's your problem. You should try

USE="-tk" emerge python;

and you'll eventually want to edit /etc/portage/package.use but i always screw these lines up, i will try to figure it out tomorrow for us both unless someone comes and shows us how to make tk never be in the USE flags for python. I had this problem too.
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik: Again, many thanks for being so prompt in responding to my queries and needs. However while I will be monitoring this forum while away, I am closing down my linux box until next Tuesday. So...take your time is providing me with further guidance -- which is always much appreciated. Regards, Jim
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
echo 'dev-lang/python -tk' >> /etc/portage/package.use
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik: I've had a hecitc few days being out of access to the internet because of the vast power outages here in the Seattle area (as well as in the Eastern Washington area where I retreatred to -- to evade the Seattle outages!). Now I'm back in Seattle, once again on the internet (and Gentoo forum) and again with my linux box on which I'm still trying to install an entire Gentoo (currently the Gnome desktop).

Two items:

1. I followed your excellent detailed instructions and installed "gpm" so I could copy/paste. It seems to work fine within my Gentoo command line terminal installation. However, some things which I can do quite readily with Windows, I'm still struggling to achieve in Gentoo. Question: Once I've copied a segment from my installation screen (detailing an error), how do I get out of Gentoo (minimize) and transfer to the Gentoo forum (which I've already minimized) and paste the error details into a message to you for you reference? What keystrokes do I use?

2. Once I can do this, I want to copy and paste the error message I received when trying to execute the command you gave me "USE="-tk" emerge python.

Hope not too much time has passed and you're perhaps no longer reading and responding to this thread. Thanks and regards, Jim
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher,

Ctrl-Alt-Fn n=1..5 switches between your Virtual Consoles
Ctrl-Alf-F7 takes you back to Xorg, if its running.

You can copy and paste between VTs or between any VT and Xorg (or Xorg and any VT) by highlighting the text to be copied, switching with the Ctrl-Alt-Fn combination and middle clicking to paste.

Alt-Tab in Xorg works as it does in Windows to cycle through applications

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy: Once again I much appreciate your willingness to provide me much needed guidance. I regret I'm still a mite confused.

Let me be explicit as to what I want (and need) to do. I go into my boot menu (which lists several distros) all of which have graphical desktops which are set up, with the exception of Gentoo, which is still command line (x-terminal?). I bring Gentoo up and begin to work. I encounter an error message which I want to copy and past into this Gentoo forum. The question for me now is how to a bring up the Gentoo forum from within or outside my Gentoo x-term, so I can effect the pasting? I hope this query makes some sense to you. Many thanks. Jim
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher wrote:

Take a look at Bug #147809
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher,

Your Gentoo runs in console mode. x-terminal is a console provided by Xorg.
In the new VT run links or lynx, they are both command line web browsers. emerge one if needed.
Connect to the gentoo forums and start a new post.

You can now use the copy and paste between two VTs to post your error messages

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy: Thanks much in straightening me out on my terminology (console vis a vis x-terminal) and also how to achieve a command line browser. When trying to "emerge links," after trying to "resolve" downloads from a number of different (mirror?) sites, with a continuous series of "failed" messages reporting "Temporary failure in name resolution," the emerge action aborted. Have I a special problem, or is this a common experience?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher,

Either you need dhcpd and don't have it or you booted from the liveCD and forgot to copy /etc/resolv.conf into the chroot.
The command will be
Code:
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

You need at least one working nameserver listed in that file.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
spadearcher
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy: I thought I had already installed dhcpd per Erik's earlier instructions and the (apparent) success of which I reported to this forum on December 13.

When I attempted your recommended "cp" command, it failed becuase it indicated that there was no such directory or file labeled /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

I examined my /etc/resolv.conf and it included a namesaver address. Whether it's "working" or not is perhaps a key issue here.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spadearcher,

ping the nameserver IP. Thats about the only test you can do.
You can have three nameservers, so if the one there at the moment is your router, you can add your ISPs nameservers too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: