View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Merry christmas everyone! Reply with quote

I thought I'd spread a little love and wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy holiday.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a happy secular winter solstice to you
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're a month away.

Besides, I thought you hated the carols an divinity scenes that accompanied it.

Last edited by runningwithscissors on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you too, sugar!
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
We're a month away.

That sure as hell isn't stopping the stores around here.. it's makes me a bitter hateful person to be honest, they can't limit themselves to putting all that stuff up on the first and taking it down before new years eve, nor can they stop carpet bombing me with catalogs starting in late October..
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're a month away.

Besides, I thought you hated the carols an divinity scenes that accompanied it.

Well, I did turn off the radio at work TWICE because I heard a christmas carol, and I cringe at the movie about the virgin Mary that's being released soon, but that doesn't mean I can't wish you a happy christmas does it?

I put up my christams tree tomorrow (being the 1st and all), and I'm thinking about what gifts I should buy for people.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
I put up my christams tree tomorrow (being the 1st and all), and I'm thinking about what gifts I should buy for people.

Er...

sugar wrote:
Anecdotally, nowever, I refuse to celebrate christmas as its a christan celebration. I'm agnostic. I can't think of any good reason to celebrate christmas. 'Everyone else is' isn't a good reason. I take offence at religous imagery at christmas and easter.

Born again or something?
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:

Er...

[quote="sugar"]Anecdotally, nowever, I refuse to celebrate christmas as its a christan celebration. I'm agnostic. I can't think of any good reason to celebrate christmas. 'Everyone else is' isn't a good reason. I take offence at religous imagery at christmas and easter.
[/quote]

The christmas tree is secular and last I checked there wasn't anything wrong nor specifically christian about giving gifts - so he, and I for that matter, go through those motions on the same day as the religious people - mainly because it's expected to that day I guess but for all I care at least we could cutdown a tree and put gifts under it to be nice towards our families in June. To be honest 99% of my country celebrates christmas this way, it's just an excuse to be nice people and take some time with the family, nothing religious to it.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
The christmas tree is secular and last I checked there wasn't anything wrong nor specifically christian about giving gifts - so he, and I for that matter, go through those motions on the same day as the religious people - mainly because it's expected to that day I guess but for all I care at least we could cutdown a tree and put gifts under it to be nice towards our families in June. To be honest 99% of my country celebrates christmas this way, it's just an excuse to be nice people and take some time with the family, nothing religious to it.

Riiiight..

Just say you "Love the Lord" as well. It's only a small step. :D
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:

Er...

sugar wrote:
Anecdotally, nowever, I refuse to celebrate christmas as its a christan celebration. I'm agnostic. I can't think of any good reason to celebrate christmas. 'Everyone else is' isn't a good reason. I take offence at religous imagery at christmas and easter.

Born again or something?

Its true! Its true!

I get bitten by the christmas bug about this time of year. I've got a smile on my face and I can't wipe it off. I don't know why!

Keep in mind however, that I'm working from the 23rd to the 28th, so I'm working right though, and I don't really mind.

edit: I'm very impressed! I remember writing that post months ago! lol!
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:

Riiiight..

Just say you "Love the Lord" as well. It's only a small step. :D

No it's a major step, it involves throwing out the scientific method in favor of mythology and irrational blind faith, not to mention the ever present idiotic notion of a higher being.

Giving my parents a set of steak knives, abide by the proxy of putting it under a pine tree, is a far step away from mere delusional belief
ksool
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, what day is today? How long was I sleeping?
xglad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a happy Saturnalia to you too.
zxiiro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost Christmas already?

Dang that means I have exams soon.
chrismcdirty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dreading christmas coming, because my current job's contract was set to expire on the 5th. But, luckily, I've been extended for a while, so I don't have to dread christmas anymore! Now I get to enjoy it, then attempt to get a house aftewards!
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
sugar wrote:

Er...

sugar wrote:

Born again or something?

Its true! Its true!

I get bitten by the christmas bug about this time of year. I've got a smile on my face and I can't wipe it off. I don't know why!

Keep in mind however, that I'm working from the 23rd to the 28th, so I'm working right though, and I don't really mind.

edit: I'm very impressed! I remember writing that post months ago! lol!

Good for you Sugar. Ignore these jaded naysayers and embrace your Christmas spirit this year.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
Good for you Sugar. Ignore these jaded naysayers and embrace your Christmas spirit this year.

When I was younger, Christmas always seemed like a sad festival. Indians are used to having their religious holidays extremely loud. When I saw the Catholics we have around mostly have quiet meals and those moaning choir songs in the typically dimly lit churches, it always seemed like a celebration of sadness.
chrismcdirty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:

When I was younger, Christmas always seemed like a sad festival. Indians are used to having their religious holidays extremely loud. When I saw the Catholics we have around mostly have quiet meals and those moaning choir songs in the typically dimly lit churches, it always seemed like a celebration of sadness.

Reminds me of the quote from Dogma.
Serendipity wrote:
You people [Catholics] don't celebrate your faith; you mourn it.

If you really want to see Christians who celebrate their faith, find a black Baptist church. I'm sure there are videos of them on youtube or something. They celebrate everything. Dancing in the aisles and such.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
Solstice carries some Pagan baggage, so "holiday" is probably the more asini^W PC way to put it.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
chrismcdirty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
playfool wrote:
Solstice carries some Pagan baggage, so "holiday" is probably the more asini^W PC way to put it.

American Heritage Dictionary wrote:
hol·i·day
n.

1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
2. A religious feast day; a holy day.
3. Chiefly British. A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.

intr.v. Chiefly Britis. holi·dayed, holi·day·ing, holi·days

To pass a holiday or vacation.

[Middle English holidai, holy day, from Old English hlig dæg : hlig, holy; see holy + dæg, day; see day.]
holi·dayer n.

So, technically, "holiday" also carries some sort of religious baggage with it.
And if I'm going to celebrate a religion in December, I'm going all out with Mithraism and bathing in a bull's blood. Or Kwanzaa. Not sure which yet.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismcdirty wrote:
pjp wrote:
playfool wrote:

American Heritage Dictionary wrote:
hol·i·day
n.

1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
2. A religious feast day; a holy day.
3. Chiefly British. A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.

intr.v. Chiefly Britis. holi·dayed, holi·day·ing, holi·days

To pass a holiday or vacation.

[Middle English holidai, holy day, from Old English hlig dæg : hlig, holy; see holy + dæg, day; see day.]
holi·dayer n.

So, technically, "holiday" also carries some sort of religious baggage with it.
And if I'm going to celebrate a religion in December, I'm going all out with Mithraism and bathing in a bull's blood. Or Kwanzaa. Not sure which yet.

from pretzels to beer to days off, they all carry religious "baggage"
I hated how, for a while, it was "bad" to say "Merry Christmas" here in the states, instead "Happy Holidays" was the way to go. Bullshit. I recently saw a Target commercial that said Merry Christmas, and it made me happy. nevermind christianity, "Christmas" is much more inviting than "Holidays" in general.
chrismcdirty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
from pretzels to beer to days off, they all carry religious "baggage"
I hated how, for a while, it was "bad" to say "Merry Christmas" here in the states, instead "Happy Holidays" was the way to go. Bullshit. I recently saw a Target commercial that said Merry Christmas, and it made me happy. nevermind christianity, "Christmas" is much more inviting than "Holidays" in general.

I think the reason for Target's "war on Christmas" last year was to not alienate non-Christians. Christmas is a perfectly secular holiday to most of the US, but Jewish and Muslim communities have their own holidays at this time of year (Muslims have a holiday in December, right? I always get confused because of their calendar). By saying "Happy Holidays," they encourage spending from everyone. PC capitalism at its finest.
Collypso
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh... christmas... the time when i have to think of a present for seven people
chrismcdirty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collypso wrote:
ugh... christmas... the time when i have to think of a present for seven people

You're lucky. I have to get two parents, a grandparent, two brothers, two pseudo-sisters-in-law, and two pseudo-parents-in-law each a gift. Not to mention the multitude of gifts I'm obligated to buy for my fiance.
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrismcdirty wrote:
Not to mention the multitude of gifts I'm obligated to buy for my fiance.

buy her something really crappy. then she won't expect much next time.

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: