Ok Setup, What Next?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottn72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Ok Setup, What Next? Reply with quote

New to Linux, played with a few LiveCD's and used PCLinuxOS for a bit.

I've managed a base Gentoo install, now I'd like some advice on the next steps.

Are there any basic recommended tools or programs I should install first. I want to learn about Linux and thought Gentoo would allow me to learn it better from the ground up.

Emerging software, does this always come from the net, or has the install CD still have uses?

Any advice or recommendations would be useful. Further down the line I'd like to look at a GUI desktop, I was thinking Fluxbox, as I've only 128mb to play with. What would be the best browser considering memory limits, Opera perhaps?

Thanks in advance.
Ehnvis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all get Xorg installed and working, http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml, then we have fluxbox, http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/fluxbox-config.xml. After that it's up to you.
scottn72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. What about any useful tools/utilities ?
Ehnvis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want to do with your new Gentoo box.
scottn72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly experimentation - learning, some C programming, web surfing.

I think what I was really enquiring about, was general tools everyone should have/install? If not, then cool, I'll install when/if I come across something I need.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottn72 wrote:
Mostly experimentation - learning, some C programming, web surfing.

I think what I was really enquiring about, was general tools everyone should have/install? If not, then cool, I'll install when/if I come across something I need.

:roll: General tools is a bit, well "general".

You'll probably want a web-browser, so something along the lines of lynx (basic text browser) through to firefox. Email clients abound as well (my preference is sylpheed-claws). You'll likely want to be able to watch videos and flash stuff whilst browsing so mplayer/xine and netscape-flash would sort these out respectively.

It would be worth installing a decent text editor, nano is likely already there and is very functional, but you might want to look at emacs or vim, as these have great version control and syntax highlighting for most programming languages.

Useful management tools for working with portage include eix, and gentoolkit to name a couple.

You might want to try out some software that isn't in the main portage tree, in which case you should install layman and check out some of the overlays that exist.

Fluxbox is nice (as is Openbox, or for more plush, yet still lightweight there is Xfce), and shouldn't place too much of a burden on your system, but 128Mb is not a lot of RAM, so I'd consider getting more if possible.

scottn72 wrote:

Emerging software, does this always come from the net, or has the install CD still have uses?

Unless you've set up a local mirror (unlikely) then everything will be downloaded from the net.

Make sure you keep your system uptodate by syncing portage regularly (but not too often as you'll get banned from the servers, about once a day is enough),

A quick and simple up-date would go along the lines of...

Code:

emerge --sync
emerge -uDN world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild
blippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:

You might want to try out some software that isn't in the main portage tree, in which case you should install layman and check out some of the overlays that exist.

Is there a place to see what common/popular overlays are?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blippy wrote:

Is there a place to see what common/popular overlays are?

Well you could have used google to search the internet the top hit of which would lead you to the right place (and would have been quicker than asking here :wink: ).

As to whats "common/popular" again that comes down to what you want to do, no one can tell you what programs to use, especially if they don't know what it is you want to do. I could say install the sunrise and sci-biology overlays and emerge blossoc and generecon (as they are based on ebuild that I initially wrote), but I doubt that you would have much use for coalescent based genetic analysis software :D .
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:

You'll probably want a web-browser, so something along the lines of lynx (basic text browser) through to firefox. Email clients abound as well (my preference is sylpheed-claws). You'll likely want to be able to watch videos and flash stuff whilst browsing so mplayer/xine and netscape-flash would sort these out respectively.

That memory limitation is going to kill your box if you use firefox and claws-mail. Flash is not going to help either.

I would read a bit and set up fetchmail to get your mail. Then use something like mutt to read it, or just use opera as web browser, and manage your mail with it. I hate opera, but if you are going to use a graphical browser with 128 mb of ram, you have not much options. All the gecko based browser use (surprise) gecko to render web pages. And gecko will permanently suck up half of your ram or even more with the time.

Another option is to go the framebuffer way (no X) and use links -g in one vt.

Quote:

I would first learn to manage portage and the things in the portage tree. No need to go elsewhere to find something if you don't even know if you already have it in your tree.

Quote:

Fluxbox is nice (as is Openbox, or for more plush, yet still lightweight there is Xfce), and shouldn't place too much of a burden on your system, but 128Mb is not a lot of RAM, so I'd consider getting more if possible.

XFCE uses gtk2, and in that regard, is not that different from gnome-light, for example. I would use a slick wm, like {flux,open,black}box is you want something easy. If you need total control and are not scared about some text config files, then go the FVWM way.

Quote:
Make sure you keep your system uptodate by syncing portage regularly (but not too often as you'll get banned from the servers, about once a day is enough),

More than enough, I'd say. On such a limited system I don't think he will like the metadata part of the emerge too much to do it once a day. I'd better do it once a week, while you are sleeping.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did on my strained resource server (it as 512Mgs of ram, but I use a lot of it) is script the emerge --sync and do a pretend update, then pipe the result in a file. I cron this once a week, so it does the sync and pretend update once a week, at 2am. This way, I don't tie up the sync servers and I get manageble updates.
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Code:
USE="truetype" emerge mrxvt vim ttf-bitstream-vera dejavu terminus-font

then add these two lines
Code:
FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera/"
FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu/"

into /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Finally, type
Code:
fc-cache -fv

In order to use the freshly emerged fonts, add these lines into .Xdefaults
Code:
mrxvt*xftFont:                  DejaVu Sans Mono
mrxvt*xftmFont:                 DejaVu Sans Mono

You can replace DejaVu Sans Mono with Terminus or any other fonts.

Voila, you got pretty neat looking basic Gentoo playground. (Try to run mrxvt.)
Don't forget to check xorg guide and font rendering guide.

To learn how to use vim, go here. Vim can do many powerful stuff including writing C code and editing your operating system config files. Of course, if you're quite adventurous, try other text editors like emacs.

Also check cursor guide.
scottn72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies people, had to put it to the side for a bit, but should have time to get back into it this week.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: