Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't focus
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Can't focus Reply with quote

So I have a 10 page paper due Wednesday, and instead of working on it I'm browsing OTW and slashdot. I mean shit now I'm complaining about not being able to focus on OTW. Anyway, ADD medications aside, what do you Gentooers do to help you focus? Keep in mind I need the internet to do my research for this paper, so "turning the computer off" is a bad suggestion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Posts: 1604
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a break for a day, do absolutely no work, just chill out. You'll be better off the next and finish ur hw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adekoba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I write a paper I usually break it up into main points and expand upon those. This way I always have something to do and won't procrastinate.

-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e wrote:
take a break for a day, do absolutely no work, just chill out. You'll be better off the next and finish ur hw.

And leave it all to do in one day? I wouldn't recommend doing that...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e wrote:
take a break for a day, do absolutely no work, just chill out. You'll be better off the next and finish ur hw.

That's what I did yesterday (the day I planned on starting work for this paper). I haven't done shit all day despite having planned on working on the paper from 11:00 AM until I couldn't bare to work anymore. Instead I took a 3 hour lunch break with a friend and then browsed OTW/slashdot/bash.org/youtube while taking breaks to do nothing productive. I finally started work at around 6:00 PM and within 30 minutes I'd found two possibly usable sources out of the 10 required (I have already found 3 sources so I'm halfway there with the research). Once I did that I wound up here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rokstar83
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 422
Location: MD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e wrote:
take a break for a day, do absolutely no work, just chill out. You'll be better off the next and finish ur hw.

That's what I did yesterday (the day I planned on starting work for this paper). I haven't done shit all day despite having planned on working on the paper from 11:00 AM until I couldn't bare to work anymore. Instead I took a 3 hour lunch break with a friend and then browsed OTW/slashdot/bash.org/youtube while taking breaks to do nothing productive. I finally started work at around 6:00 PM and within 30 minutes I'd found two possibly usable sources out of the 10 required (I have already found 3 sources so I'm halfway there with the research). Once I did that I wound up here.


music always helps for me. but for all I know you already are listening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokstar83 wrote:
/dev/random wrote:
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e wrote:
take a break for a day, do absolutely no work, just chill out. You'll be better off the next and finish ur hw.

That's what I did yesterday (the day I planned on starting work for this paper). I haven't done shit all day despite having planned on working on the paper from 11:00 AM until I couldn't bare to work anymore. Instead I took a 3 hour lunch break with a friend and then browsed OTW/slashdot/bash.org/youtube while taking breaks to do nothing productive. I finally started work at around 6:00 PM and within 30 minutes I'd found two possibly usable sources out of the 10 required (I have already found 3 sources so I'm halfway there with the research). Once I did that I wound up here.


music always helps for me. but for all I know you already are listening.

I'm never not listening to music, but putting on headphones to make it easier to ignore my roommate and whatever he's doing when he's wasting time on his computer did help. It's why I managed to start my research to begin with.

edit: Fuck my roommate just brought some mutual friends up here. I guess the only solution is to jump out the window with my laptop and look for a wifi hot spot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread to find out if there's anyway I can fucking highlight a pdf. I don't want to print out ~140 pages worth of pdf files just so i can have nice highlighted sources to use for my paper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piracetam/Aniracetam/Oxiracetam + Phenibut

You can find it at www.1fast400.com

And if that doesn't work, try hitting up your local meth dealer. (j/k... or am i?)
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 454
Location: the third world

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to procrastinate until the opportune moment (i.e. when the shit was about to hit the fan.). Then I'd stay awake a whole night with some tea, and get it done, and turn it in the next day.
_________________
At some stage, the Hindus locked on to the nation destroying concepts like ahimsa (non-violence), shanti (peace), satya (truth) — the ‘ass’ syndrome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
I used to procrastinate until the opportune moment (i.e. when the shit was about to hit the fan.). Then I'd stay awake a whole night with some tea, and get it done, and turn it in the next day.

Yeah that appears to be what's going to happen for me. Except I'm drinking coffee instead of tea. The paper is due Wednesday, but it would be better if I had it done by the time my professor's office hours were over tomorrow. That way I can turn it in tomorrow and actually have a ride home for Thanksgiving (silly American holiday, but it's an important family-oriented day).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 242
Location: Ramsey, MN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
runningwithscissors wrote:
I used to procrastinate until the opportune moment (i.e. when the shit was about to hit the fan.). Then I'd stay awake a whole night with some tea, and get it done, and turn it in the next day.

Yeah that appears to be what's going to happen for me. Except I'm drinking coffee instead of tea. The paper is due Wednesday, but it would be better if I had it done by the time my professor's office hours were over tomorrow. That way I can turn it in tomorrow and actually have a ride home for Thanksgiving (silly American holiday, but it's an important family-oriented day).
I'm guessing your professor won't accept emailed submissions then?
_________________
last.fm
SFH, because it's awesome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkura wrote:
/dev/random wrote:
runningwithscissors wrote:
I used to procrastinate until the opportune moment (i.e. when the shit was about to hit the fan.). Then I'd stay awake a whole night with some tea, and get it done, and turn it in the next day.

Yeah that appears to be what's going to happen for me. Except I'm drinking coffee instead of tea. The paper is due Wednesday, but it would be better if I had it done by the time my professor's office hours were over tomorrow. That way I can turn it in tomorrow and actually have a ride home for Thanksgiving (silly American holiday, but it's an important family-oriented day).
I'm guessing your professor won't accept emailed submissions then?

No sir. I have to submit a hard copy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you ask such a question? I've got a deliverable due wensday myself do you think I am working on it tonight...............HELL NO Wensday afternoon all the way man! :D
_________________
Ware wa mutekinari.
Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phenax
l33t
l33t


Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 972

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to focus is procrastinate until the last possible minute. You'll then be pretty much forced to focus.

Works great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
LOL you ask such a question? I've got a deliverable due wensday myself do you think I am working on it tonight...............HELL NO Wensday afternoon all the way man! :D

It's due at 1:55 PM on Wednesday :cry:

If anyone says do it Wednesday morning I'll stab them over the internet. I'd put it off until Tuesday, but I have a chemistry test from 8:00 - 10:00 PM on Tuesday and I kind of need to study for that.

Lesson for all the high schoolers on OTW. Don't major in engineering and then attempt to minor in a subject that your university takes very seriously (in my case the Political Science program at UF turned out to be a little more rigorous than a sane engineering major can handle).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 04 Dec 2004
Posts: 1023

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been in College? You clearly need more training! Don't do it in the morning do it at noon.
_________________
Ware wa mutekinari.
Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
How long have you been in College? You clearly need more training! Don't do it in the morning do it at noon.

I'm obviously a freshman. :lol:

edit: Anyone who can write a 10 page paper about the shifting of trends in American federalism from the 1960s until now using 10-15 sources that must be from scholarly (read: boring and pompous) journals in an hour and 55 minutes is superhuman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Posts: 242
Location: Ramsey, MN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
Shadow Skill wrote:
How long have you been in College? You clearly need more training! Don't do it in the morning do it at noon.

I'm obviously a freshman. :lol:
You're only a freshman? I feel old 8O

There has been more than one occasion where I had a paper due in the morning and I got up early and got it done about 30 minutes into class (I arrived late because he doesn't care as long as it isn't often).

PROCRASTINATION FTW!
_________________
last.fm
SFH, because it's awesome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you guys are saying is the high school strategy of BSing for 10 pages and then adding random endnotes making it look like it came from a source works in college too?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get t done :wink: I always used to try and get papers finished a week or two after getting the assignment. Then chill.

Plus it was fun watching people fight over printing/machine use rights in the labs on submission day.
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 454
Location: the third world

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
So what you guys are saying is the high school strategy of BSing for 10 pages and then adding random endnotes making it look like it came from a source works in college too?!

Of course. Besides we bullshit about politics on OTW all the time. I thought you could write such a paper with your eyes closed now.


By the way, I just crippled some of my company's data because I wasn't paying attention. Erm.. no not really not paying attention, but rather in a fit of proactive action to a supposed bug, I suppose. Must check with others before tackling the problem on my own.
_________________
At some stage, the Hindus locked on to the nation destroying concepts like ahimsa (non-violence), shanti (peace), satya (truth) — the ‘ass’ syndrome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
/dev/random wrote:
So what you guys are saying is the high school strategy of BSing for 10 pages and then adding random endnotes making it look like it came from a source works in college too?!

Of course. Besides we bullshit about politics on OTW all the time. I thought you could write such a paper with your eyes closed now.

Yeah it's easy to bull shit politics, but political theory actually requires work. If it was a 10 page paper on why George Bush was a cunt I would've finished it weeks ago and used cokehabit as my source.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 454
Location: the third world

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Plus it was fun watching people fight over printing/machine use rights in the labs on submission day.

Oh how I used to loathe people who did what you say you did. Of course i had my laughs when the little teacher's pets did miserably on the yearly or semester exams.
_________________
At some stage, the Hindus locked on to the nation destroying concepts like ahimsa (non-violence), shanti (peace), satya (truth) — the ‘ass’ syndrome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John-Boy
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Posts: 439
Location: Desperately seeking moksha in all the wrong places

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
Oh how I used to loathe people who did what you say you did. Of course i had my laughs when the little teacher's pets did miserably on the yearly or semester exams.


I passed though and fairly well if I do say so myself :wink:

Actually, why I did that is because I know myself fairly well, if I don't get on with something straight away then it'd just sit there. Somebody once said - 'It's the job that's never started that takes longest to finish'.
_________________
Easy .. easy .. easy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
/dev/random
l33t
l33t


Joined: 26 Nov 2004
Posts: 704
Location: Austin, Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
runningwithscissors wrote:
Oh how I used to loathe people who did what you say you did. Of course i had my laughs when the little teacher's pets did miserably on the yearly or semester exams.


I passed though and fairly well if I do say so myself :wink:

Actually, why I did that is because I know myself fairly well, if I don't get on with something straight away then it'd just sit there. Somebody once said - 'It's the job that's never started that takes longest to finish'.

Somebody else once said - "Fuck that I'm gonna get drunk."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum