View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Can't focus Reply with quote

So I have a 10 page paper due Wednesday, and instead of working on it I'm browsing OTW and slashdot. I mean shit now I'm complaining about not being able to focus on OTW. Anyway, ADD medications aside, what do you Gentooers do to help you focus? Keep in mind I need the internet to do my research for this paper, so "turning the computer off" is a bad suggestion.
-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a break for a day, do absolutely no work, just chill out. You'll be better off the next and finish ur hw.
adekoba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I write a paper I usually break it up into main points and expand upon those. This way I always have something to do and won't procrastinate.

-=GGW=- $ol!d $n4>|e wrote:
take a break for a day, do absolutely no work, just chill out. You'll be better off the next and finish ur hw.

And leave it all to do in one day? I wouldn't recommend doing that...
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I did yesterday (the day I planned on starting work for this paper). I haven't done shit all day despite having planned on working on the paper from 11:00 AM until I couldn't bare to work anymore. Instead I took a 3 hour lunch break with a friend and then browsed OTW/slashdot/bash.org/youtube while taking breaks to do nothing productive. I finally started work at around 6:00 PM and within 30 minutes I'd found two possibly usable sources out of the 10 required (I have already found 3 sources so I'm halfway there with the research). Once I did that I wound up here.
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:

That's what I did yesterday (the day I planned on starting work for this paper). I haven't done shit all day despite having planned on working on the paper from 11:00 AM until I couldn't bare to work anymore. Instead I took a 3 hour lunch break with a friend and then browsed OTW/slashdot/bash.org/youtube while taking breaks to do nothing productive. I finally started work at around 6:00 PM and within 30 minutes I'd found two possibly usable sources out of the 10 required (I have already found 3 sources so I'm halfway there with the research). Once I did that I wound up here.

music always helps for me. but for all I know you already are listening.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokstar83 wrote:
/dev/random wrote:

music always helps for me. but for all I know you already are listening.

I'm never not listening to music, but putting on headphones to make it easier to ignore my roommate and whatever he's doing when he's wasting time on his computer did help. It's why I managed to start my research to begin with.

edit: Fuck my roommate just brought some mutual friends up here. I guess the only solution is to jump out the window with my laptop and look for a wifi hot spot.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread to find out if there's anyway I can fucking highlight a pdf. I don't want to print out ~140 pages worth of pdf files just so i can have nice highlighted sources to use for my paper.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piracetam/Aniracetam/Oxiracetam + Phenibut

You can find it at www.1fast400.com

And if that doesn't work, try hitting up your local meth dealer. (j/k... or am i?)
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to procrastinate until the opportune moment (i.e. when the shit was about to hit the fan.). Then I'd stay awake a whole night with some tea, and get it done, and turn it in the next day.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
I used to procrastinate until the opportune moment (i.e. when the shit was about to hit the fan.). Then I'd stay awake a whole night with some tea, and get it done, and turn it in the next day.

Yeah that appears to be what's going to happen for me. Except I'm drinking coffee instead of tea. The paper is due Wednesday, but it would be better if I had it done by the time my professor's office hours were over tomorrow. That way I can turn it in tomorrow and actually have a ride home for Thanksgiving (silly American holiday, but it's an important family-oriented day).
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:

Yeah that appears to be what's going to happen for me. Except I'm drinking coffee instead of tea. The paper is due Wednesday, but it would be better if I had it done by the time my professor's office hours were over tomorrow. That way I can turn it in tomorrow and actually have a ride home for Thanksgiving (silly American holiday, but it's an important family-oriented day).
I'm guessing your professor won't accept emailed submissions then?
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkura wrote:
/dev/random wrote:

I'm guessing your professor won't accept emailed submissions then?

No sir. I have to submit a hard copy.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you ask such a question? I've got a deliverable due wensday myself do you think I am working on it tonight...............HELL NO Wensday afternoon all the way man! :D

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to focus is procrastinate until the last possible minute. You'll then be pretty much forced to focus.

Works great.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
LOL you ask such a question? I've got a deliverable due wensday myself do you think I am working on it tonight...............HELL NO Wensday afternoon all the way man! :D

It's due at 1:55 PM on Wednesday :cry:

If anyone says do it Wednesday morning I'll stab them over the internet. I'd put it off until Tuesday, but I have a chemistry test from 8:00 - 10:00 PM on Tuesday and I kind of need to study for that.

Lesson for all the high schoolers on OTW. Don't major in engineering and then attempt to minor in a subject that your university takes very seriously (in my case the Political Science program at UF turned out to be a little more rigorous than a sane engineering major can handle).
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been in College? You clearly need more training! Don't do it in the morning do it at noon.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
How long have you been in College? You clearly need more training! Don't do it in the morning do it at noon.

I'm obviously a freshman. :lol:

edit: Anyone who can write a 10 page paper about the shifting of trends in American federalism from the 1960s until now using 10-15 sources that must be from scholarly (read: boring and pompous) journals in an hour and 55 minutes is superhuman.
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
Shadow Skill wrote:

I'm obviously a freshman. :lol:
You're only a freshman? I feel old 8O

There has been more than one occasion where I had a paper due in the morning and I got up early and got it done about 30 minutes into class (I arrived late because he doesn't care as long as it isn't often).

PROCRASTINATION FTW!
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you guys are saying is the high school strategy of BSing for 10 pages and then adding random endnotes making it look like it came from a source works in college too?!
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get t done :wink: I always used to try and get papers finished a week or two after getting the assignment. Then chill.

Plus it was fun watching people fight over printing/machine use rights in the labs on submission day.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
So what you guys are saying is the high school strategy of BSing for 10 pages and then adding random endnotes making it look like it came from a source works in college too?!

Of course. Besides we bullshit about politics on OTW all the time. I thought you could write such a paper with your eyes closed now.

By the way, I just crippled some of my company's data because I wasn't paying attention. Erm.. no not really not paying attention, but rather in a fit of proactive action to a supposed bug, I suppose. Must check with others before tackling the problem on my own.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:

Of course. Besides we bullshit about politics on OTW all the time. I thought you could write such a paper with your eyes closed now.

Yeah it's easy to bull shit politics, but political theory actually requires work. If it was a 10 page paper on why George Bush was a cunt I would've finished it weeks ago and used cokehabit as my source.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Plus it was fun watching people fight over printing/machine use rights in the labs on submission day.

Oh how I used to loathe people who did what you say you did. Of course i had my laughs when the little teacher's pets did miserably on the yearly or semester exams.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I used to loathe people who did what you say you did. Of course i had my laughs when the little teacher's pets did miserably on the yearly or semester exams.

I passed though and fairly well if I do say so myself :wink:

Actually, why I did that is because I know myself fairly well, if I don't get on with something straight away then it'd just sit there. Somebody once said - 'It's the job that's never started that takes longest to finish'.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:

I passed though and fairly well if I do say so myself :wink:

Actually, why I did that is because I know myself fairly well, if I don't get on with something straight away then it'd just sit there. Somebody once said - 'It's the job that's never started that takes longest to finish'.

Somebody else once said - "Fuck that I'm gonna get drunk."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: