Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[sane-backends] - Bug in portage-2.1.2_rc1-r7? - (Not valid)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: [sane-backends] - Bug in portage-2.1.2_rc1-r7? - (Not valid) Reply with quote

I've always had SANE_BACKENDS="epson" in my make.conf.

Tonight I emerged sys-apps/portage-2.1.2_rc1-r7 after a sync, and it seems that the sane use flags stuff is now not aware of that variable.

Code:

# emerge -puDvtN world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[nomerge      ] app-emulation/wine-0.9.25  USE="X alsa cups dbus gif glut hal jpeg lcms opengl scanner -arts -debug -esd -jack -ldap -nas -ncurses -oss -xml"
[ebuild   R   ]  media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.18-r2  USE="usb -ipv6 -sane_backends_abaton% -sane_backends_agfafocus% -sane_backends_apple% -sane_backends_artec% -sane_backends_artec_eplus48u% -sane_backends_as6e% -sane_backends_avision% -sane_backends_bh% -sane_backends_brother% -sane_backends_canon% -sane_backends_canon630u% -sane_backends_canon_pp% -sane_backends_coolscan% -sane_backends_coolscan2% -sane_backends_dc210% -sane_backends_dc240% -sane_backends_dc25% -sane_backends_dmc% -sane_backends_epson% -sane_backends_fujitsu% -sane_backends_genesys% -sane_backends_gphoto2% -sane_backends_gt68xx% -sane_backends_hp% -sane_backends_hp3500% -sane_backends_hp4200% -sane_backends_hp5400% -sane_backends_hpsj5s% -sane_backends_ibm% -sane_backends_leo% -sane_backends_lexmark% -sane_backends_ma1509% -sane_backends_matsushita% -sane_backends_microtek% -sane_backends_microtek2% -sane_backends_mustek% -sane_backends_mustek_pp% -sane_backends_mustek_usb% -sane_backends_mustek_usb2% -sane_backends_nec% -sane_backends_net% -sane_backends_niash% -sane_backends_pie% -sane_backends_pint% -sane_backends_plustek% -sane_backends_plustek_pp% -sane_backends_pnm% -sane_backends_qcam% -sane_backends_ricoh% -sane_backends_s9036% -sane_backends_sceptre% -sane_backends_sharp% -sane_backends_sm3600% -sane_backends_sm3840% -sane_backends_snapscan% -sane_backends_sp15c% -sane_backends_st400% -sane_backends_stv680% -sane_backends_tamarack% -sane_backends_teco1% -sane_backends_teco2% -sane_backends_teco3% -sane_backends_test% -sane_backends_u12% -sane_backends_umax% -sane_backends_umax1220u% -sane_backends_umax_pp% -sane_backends_v4l% (-gphoto2%) (-v4l%)" 0 kB [5]

Strange indeed. 8O

Last edited by i92guboj on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The % indicates it's a USE flag that the package didn't support before. So since you specified --newuse (-N), it reinstalls any package that has a USE flag changed.

And portage considers USE flags that didn't exist before as being changed USE flags, even if the new flags are set as "-[newflag]"

It can't distinguish between a change in supported USE flags that you care about and ones you don't so it reinstalls with any change.

edit: though that doesn't explain the part with -sane_backends_epson%.

So it might be a combination of what I described along with portage ignoring that setting in make.conf
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that.

What I cant explain is why those use flags are not seen in this form and not thru the SANE_BACKENDS. For example, in xorg-server you see

Code:

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse -acecad -aiptek -calcomp -citron -digitaledge -dmc -dynapro -elo2300 -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -jamstudio -joystick -magellan -microtouch -mutouch -palmax -penmount -spaceorb -summa -synaptics -tek4957 -ur98 -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia vesa -apm -ark -chips -cirrus -cyrix -dummy -epson -fbdev -fglrx -glint -i128 (-i740) -i810 (-impact) (-imstt) -mach64 -mga -neomagic (-newport) (-nsc) -r128 -radeon -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l -vga -via -vmware -voodoo"

And not

Code:

USE="input_device_evdev input_device_keyboard input_device_mouse -input_device_acecad -input_device_aiptek -input_device_calcomp -input_device_citron -input_device_digitaledge -input_device_dmc -input_device_dynapro -input_device_elo2300 -input_device_elographics -input_device_fpit -input_device_hyperpen -input_device_jamstudio -input_device_joystick -input_device_magellan -input_device_microtouch -input_device_mutouch -input_device_palmax -input_device_penmount -input_device_spaceorb -input_device_summa -input_device_synaptics -input_device_tek4957 -input_device_ur98 -input_device_vmmouse -input_device_void -input_device_wacom video_card_nv video_card_nvidia video_card_vesa -video_card_apm -video_card_ark -video_card_chips -video_card_cirrus -video_card_cyrix -video_card_dummy -video_card_epson -video_card_fbdev -video_card_fglrx -video_card_glint -video_card_i128 (-video_card_i740) -video_card_i810 (-video_card_impact) (-video_card_imstt) -video_card_mach64 -video_card_mga -video_card_neomagic (-video_card_newport) (-video_card_nsc) -video_card_r128 -video_card_radeon -video_card_rendition -video_card_s3 -video_card_s3virge -video_card_savage -video_card_siliconmotion -video_card_sis -video_card_sisusb (-video_card_sunbw2) (-video_card_suncg14) (-video_card_suncg3) (-video_card_suncg6) (-video_card_sunffb) (-video_card_sunleo) (-video_card_suntcx) -video_card_tdfx -video_card_tga -video_card_trident -video_card_tseng -video_card_v4l -video_card_vga -video_card_via -video_card_vmware -video_card_voodoo"

Though you can see them that way if you emerge --info

Code:

USE="amd64 3ds X alsa apache2 asf berkdb bzip2 cairo cdparanoia cdr cgi cle266 cli cracklib crypt cups curl dbus dlloader dmi dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr dvdread eds elibc_glibc emboss encode fam ffmpeg firefox flash foomaticdb fortran freetype ggi gif gimp glitz glut gnome gpm gtk gtk2 hal hfs iconv idn input_devices_evdev [b]input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse input_devices_ps2mouse[/b] isdnlog jfs jpeg kde kernel_linux kipi lcms libg++ linguas_en linguas_es mad mikmod mng modplug mozsvg mozxmlterm mp3 mpeg music mysql ncurses nls nomac nptl nptlonly ogg openal opengl pam pcre perl png pppd profile python qt3 qt4 quicktime readline reflection reiser4 sasl scanner sdl session slp sndfile soundtouch speex spell spl ssl svg taglib tcpd threads tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userland_GNU [b]video_cards_nv video_cards_nvidia video_cards_vesa[/b] vorbis wmf xanim xml2 xorg xpm xprint xrandr xv xvmc zlib"

The sane-backends stuff was the same until this latest portage update. Now, the bunch of use flags appear in USE instead of in their own section controlled by the SANE_BACKENDS variable, like they was previously.

Last edited by i92guboj on Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the ebuild is written differently.

For instance, if you do "emerge --info" you will not see VIDEO_CARDS="whatever"

On the other hand you might see video_cards_nvidia which is the actual USE flag generated.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I want to know is if that var is going to be deprecated or something and the new way is to specify that use flag in USE from now on. That would be exactly teh opposite way of input devices and video cards, which started as use flags and then splitted appart.

EDIT, yes, I know, I was editing the prev post to reflect that as well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. :)
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should file a bug about this, as portage-2.1.2-rc1-r7 does not pick up any of the SANE_BACKEND options.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do. Right now it seems I can't reach bugzilla for any reason. So I will try later. As you say the strange point is that portage is not aware of that variable at all. And it happened right after I sync'ed and emerged that version of portage. I am totally sure that that package was not being pushed before the merge of portage-2.1.2-rc1-r7, because previously to the sync I did a -puDvN just to make sure that no update was still pending.

I just wanted to have a second opinion before posting there.

Thank you.

EDIT, bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155345

Edit, I should look what I do next time. Invalid bug, crappy overlay that I forgot about, Sorry :oops:

Case closed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: