Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Please help a newbie installing on a laptop.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Druidic_wolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Please help a newbie installing on a laptop. Reply with quote

First and foremost,
THANK YOU in advance for any and all help you can provide me with.

I am by no means, a complete novice when it comes to computers. However, that is the hardware side of things. When it comes to OS's, I, unfortunately, am plagued by only having experience in the Windows and (very little) MAC environment. And, obviously, I am fed up with both (security issues, resource issues, etc.) and have decided to delve into a new realm, Linux. Now I have ran a LiveCD, being Knoppix, and was greatly impressed, however, in talking to others that I know, since speed and performance was a concern I had, they suggested Gentoo. And from the screenshots and what I have read and seen otherwise, I agree. Now here is my dilema, I'm installing on a laptop. A Toshiba Satellite A75-S206 to be exact, actually here are some other specifications on it:

Hard Drive Toshiba MK6025GAS 60 gig
Display Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP
DVD/CDRW Drive: Matshita UJDA760
Atheros AR5004G Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek RTL8139/810x ethernet adapter
PCMCIA Adapter: ENE CB1410
CPU: Mobile Intel P4 2.8 Ghz
Sound card: Direct sound 3D

My questions are as follows:

Main: Which Version do I download?

1) Has anybody installed on this particular laptop make and model before?
2) Do I need specific Driver downloads? If so where can I locate them?
3) Has anyone experienced problems with the touchpads?
4) Is keyboard layout a problem?
5) How do I determine my Laptops architecture? (thought it was an i386, but I'm probably wrong)
6) Any other helpful information that I might be missing?
7) What about Primary and Secondary IDE controllers as well as a PCI Controller?
As I said, I am a newbie with doing this, and I haven't had a programming class (or touched programming) in about 9 years. So any help and advice would be great, as well as where to input the code strings, etc.

Thank you again.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Please help a newbie installing on a laptop. Reply with quote

Druidic_wolf wrote:
First and foremost,
THANK YOU in advance for any and all help you can provide me with.

I am by no means, a complete novice when it comes to computers. However, that is the hardware side of things. When it comes to OS's, I, unfortunately, am plagued by only having experience in the Windows and (very little) MAC environment. And, obviously, I am fed up with both (security issues, resource issues, etc.) and have decided to delve into a new realm, Linux. Now I have ran a LiveCD, being Knoppix, and was greatly impressed, however, in talking to others that I know, since speed and performance was a concern I had, they suggested Gentoo. And from the screenshots and what I have read and seen otherwise, I agree. Now here is my dilema, I'm installing on a laptop. A Toshiba Satellite A75-S206 to be exact, actually here are some other specifications on it:

Hard Drive Toshiba MK6025GAS 60 gig
Display Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP
DVD/CDRW Drive: Matshita UJDA760
Atheros AR5004G Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek RTL8139/810x ethernet adapter
PCMCIA Adapter: ENE CB1410
CPU: Mobile Intel P4 2.8 Ghz
Sound card: Direct sound 3D

My questions are as follows:

Main: Which Version do I download?

1) Has anybody installed on this particular laptop make and model before?
2) Do I need specific Driver downloads? If so where can I locate them?
3) Has anyone experienced problems with the touchpads?
4) Is keyboard layout a problem?
5) How do I determine my Laptops architecture? (thought it was an i386, but I'm probably wrong)
6) Any other helpful information that I might be missing?
7) What about Primary and Secondary IDE controllers as well as a PCI Controller?
As I said, I am a newbie with doing this, and I haven't had a programming class (or touched programming) in about 9 years. So any help and advice would be great, as well as where to input the code strings, etc.

Thank you again.

Gentoo installation is a bit more involved that some other Linux distributions, and one particular aspect of Gentoo is
that (almost) everything is at the end of the day is complied from sources on your machine, which can take time on
a laptop. But Gentoo is an excellent learning platform !

Your start is an Installation guide

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=install#doc_chap2

Regarding your particular questions

Main: you need LiveCD for x86 platform

1. Not me :)
2. You will be better of with ATI binary video drivers. As everything, they are installed with the main Gentoo command 'emerge' from central Gentoo repository. (package x11-drivers/ati-drivers
3. touchpads usually just work
4. No
5. it is Pentium 4, so i686, although for compilation flags you will want to be more specific and specify pentium4
6. See documentation on Gentoo site :)
7. Forget about them, these are standard parts that just work. At least until you recompile the kernel yourself :)
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there !

I have Gentoo installed here on a Toshiba Satellite A20 (older of your if I'm right), and all the hardware worked pretty easily. You then should not have any problem.

Just follow the dmpogo's tips and all should be installed without much trouble.

Welcome to Gentoo :)
Druidic_wolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

All the information was quite helpful.

If I run into any questions, I will jump on the desktop and post.

Once again, thanx, you guys rock!

Wolf
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo! Hope you enjoy your stay.

There are some linux on Toshiba laptop (including A75 satellite) guides here: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/toshiba.html

Also some Toshiba laptop information on the gentoo-wiki website (which also has tons of fantastic hardware/software info) here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Index:Hardware#Toshiba

While more arcane than many distros, Gentoo is the only one that I can convince my Panasonic W5 to run. I hope your experience will be similar especially since your hardware seems much less obscure than mine. =)

Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Let us know if you run into any problems.

Cheers,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Tlaloc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dmpogo

Are you that he is better off with binary ATI drivers? Isn't his ATI card a r200 series and therefore very well supported by the xorg radeon drivers? If so ati-drivers would only be an unneccessary hassle and be an inferior choice.

Bye, Val.
saturday
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help a newbie installing on a laptop. Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Main: you need LiveCD for x86 platform

Or you can install Gentoo from a Knoppix CD: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3
jeanfrancis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help a newbie installing on a laptop. Reply with quote

Or you can install Gentoo from a Knoppix CD: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3[/quote]

Well, As he call himself a newbie, I suggest him to follow the "real" method... The automatic installer or the manual install...
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tlaloc wrote:
@dmpogo

Are you that he is better off with binary ATI drivers? Isn't his ATI card a r200 series and therefore very well supported by the xorg radeon drivers? If so ati-drivers would only be an unneccessary hassle and be an inferior choice.

Bye, Val.

Oh, quite possibly, I do not recognize ATI cards right away. Have been on nvidia for too long :). But I remember I have installed a year ago Gentoo on my friends laptop
with r200m (mobile) PCIE card and we needed ATI drivers back then.

I should have written more accurately, that generally under Linux on laptop most things will work straight away, but
one can expect special drivers may be needed for full performance for

a) video
b) wireless
c) modem (?)
d) perhaps, touchpad, if you want to stroke it like a woman (or man, whatever is your preference)
e) Can't think of anything else :D

but under Gentoo the first source for them is again the central repository.
Tlaloc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:

d) perhaps, touchpad, if you want to stroke it like a woman (or man, whatever is your preference)

Now I am curious. What's the difference? :lol:
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tlaloc wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

Now I am curious. What's the difference? :lol:

You know, these gentle touches with complex reactions :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: