video performance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: video performance Reply with quote

Hey!

I have Nvidia geforce2 64M in my box. Althought i'm not using nvidia "nvdriver" drivers and don't have support for GLX in my X config everything works fine.

My Q is, is it better for me to have GLX support in X and nvidia drivers better than using nv driver? Will i see/feel the difference? I never plan to play any games on this box, it's just a normal workstation for me @ home. But i want to squezze 100% of my graphic card!

Well, what's the difference of having nv driver and having nvidia drivers (and kernel) and GLX support in X ? :roll:

thanx, zeky
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

using nvidia driver and GLX should give better performance, and OpenGL support.
patrickc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have any experience with the nv driver, except that i could never get it to work because dell is so nice that they won't release the specs to my lcd (horiz. sync and vert. refresh). however, i would imagine that the 2d performance would be better for the 'nvidia' drivers, as well as the 3d aspect improving 10 fold, or maybe even being existant (can't even recall if 'nv' even supports 3d, period). however, it's a very easy process. these also worked for me since the drivers use EDIDS (may also be available in the 'nv' driver, again not sure) so it was able to poll my lcd and get the required sync/refresh rates for me.

Code:

# emerge nvidia-kernel
# emerge nvidia-glx
# update-opengl nvidia

add 'nvidia' (without the single quotes) to /etc/modules.autoload, and go into your XF86Config file in the modules section, remove 'GLCore' and 'dri' if they are there, and make sure that

Code:
 Load "glx"

is there. then go down to where you define your video card and change the driver from 'nv' to 'nvidia', and you should be good to go. there are numerous options you can set to make image quality better, increase speed, and many other things which can be found in the included README file (probably in /usr/share/documentation(correct dir??) after installion) or it can be grabbed from nvidia's website. their README also has instructions for installation, in case you get lost or these turn out to be incomplete for some reason.

good luck!

patrickc
zeky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good! I've tryed the new 43* version of drivers and took me about 3 minutes to emerge and manage it to work... I remember a had a huge problems with previous version of nvidia drivers. But this one works great 4 me.

cheers
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: