USEing "doc"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zolxd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: USEing "doc" Reply with quote

When I began using Gentoo, I thought that "doc" would be very useful, and put it in make.conf.
"Documentation" is a fairly broad term, and the use.desc didn't refine it much.

What I found of course, was a folder for every item, containing gz'd text files, that only root could unpack (by default), and providing no information helpful to the user.
Typically, README*, CHANGELOG, MANIFEST, AUTHORS, LICENSE sort of thing.
(* a sure sign that there is no content)

I also found that sometimes user documentation was smuggled in, too.

Eventually, I removed "doc" from USE, and only collected documentation on demand, by searching for it elsewhere.

Today, I decided to empty /usr/share/doc completely. I keep what I use in a separate directory where it's less cluttered anyway.

Do you enable "doc", and if so, why?

What seems useful to me is a distinction between types of documentation.
  • doc - user documentation, if provided.
  • devnotes - details/acknowledgements useful to hackers/contributors of that item.
  • legal - licenses and which software uses what.

Comments?
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as it is left up to the individual ebuild writers to decide what the doc USE flag means, I think this is pretty much what we will see. :(

I like your idea though. :)
Hagar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all files in /usr/share/doc are controlled by the doc useflag. (read: most aren't)

Unpacking them has nothing to do with being root.
Unpacking them inside /usr/share/doc however does, because only root has write permissions in that directory.

And though not all files might be useful to you, they are to others, and some are just required (license, author)
Documentation can be defined in many ways, and so far there has been no need to define this in portage.

* Hagar waves at yabba again
numerodix
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm looking for documentation for something, I go online. I basically never use docs, except for man pages for commonly used apps. I figured I could save some space by not installing docs and so I have -doc in my USE. I really haven't come to regret it, in the few cases I needed the docs I set doc per package (2 or 3 times).

Btw you can read text files gzipped with less for instance, unzipping on the fly and no special permissions needed.
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enable doc on a per-package basis, because as noted its effect varies widely. F'rinstance ImageMagick used to install a reference guide without the flag, then one day (read: one update) it disappeared. So it earned a doc flag. Silly ebuild, suddenly becoming sensible. :)
zolxd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagar wrote:
Not all files in /usr/share/doc are controlled by the doc useflag. (read: most aren't)

I didn't think so, but as I couldn't tell the difference* after the fact, it was easier to start over and let future updates fix it over time.
(* This being part of the reason behind my post)
Quote:

Unpacking them has nothing to do with being root.
Unpacking them inside /usr/share/doc however does, because only root has write permissions in that directory.

My point is that first expections are that /usr/share/doc would be world readable text, html etc. - Until you realise that it's not required reading.
Quote:

And though not all files might be useful to you, they are to others,

Devnotes? Changelog, acknowledgements, manifest (for anything portage doesn't record) etc.
If there's another class for whom they are useful, the details would address my earlier question.
Files that are not useful to me tend not to be part of my custom install, assuming that I know what they are in order to know whether they are useful to me.
Quote:

and some are just required (license, author)

Legal? I'm thinking /usr/share/legal, BTW, not a flag.
Quote:

Documentation can be defined in many ways, and so far there has been no need to define this in portage.

A more explicit description wouldn't hurt. Often that's all a user has to base their decisions on. (Freedom of choice implies knowing what the choices mean.)

numerodix wrote:
Btw you can read text files gzipped with less for instance, unzipping on the fly and no special permissions needed.
That's good to know. It never occurred to me. (Cool. It does it without extra option flags.)

timeBandit wrote:
I also enable doc on a per-package basis, because as noted its effect varies widely. F'rinstance ImageMagick used to install a reference guide without the flag, then one day (read: one update) it disappeared. So it earned a doc flag. Silly ebuild, suddenly becoming sensible. :)

But do you know prior to installation what will happen?
I'd sure like to know how.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it while downloading some GTK libs and stuff. But the documentation for that is stored at /usr/share/gtk-doc. I just think there ought to be either a proper directory for relevant documentation (yes, that includes library documentation in addition to license and usage information). It would make things a lot easier.

It isn't a major hindrance, but it could be improved.
adekoba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just look it up on the internetz
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: USEing "doc" Reply with quote

zolxd wrote:
What I found of course, was a folder for every item, containing gz'd text files, that only root could unpack (by default)

`less` can read gzipped text automatically.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT:

Where are the manpages located at? I'm always looking for a good way to trim down my system, and since I don't use the doc useflag, trashing alot of the docs would be nice...
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on your installed packages, but most are in /usr/share/man. echo $MANPATH to see the manual directories in active use, or
Code:
find / -type d -name man -print 2>/dev/null
to find everything that might be a man directory. Think before trimming because that finds the portage tree, compiled man pages, some config dirs, etc....
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have set doc useflag globaly once. I learned a lot.
First I removed the flag, as emerging gtk+ for example took a loooong time, due to installing documentation.
I think installing all docs took more than compiling (gtk+)

If I would really need some documentation then pre-package is the only option. And there is the internet, too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: