Dual-Booting (Just making Sure)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juggalo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Dual-Booting (Just making Sure) Reply with quote

Okay, so right now I have Windows XP Pro installed on this box. I want to install Slackware 10.2. I've installed both OSs individually on this drive, but I've never dual-booted. From my understanding, dual-booting isn't that different: Leave the Windows partition alone, and install Slackware like I normally would. Install LILO to the MBR and it will automatically recognize Windows, and give me the option to boot both OSs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, which partition would I make active?

(Posted this here because this forum's very active, and I need an answer quick. Sorry if it's not allowed)
freelight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you can do that. Best way to do it is to install Windows first, then shrink your Windows partition with something like PartitionMagic (or Slackware's installer, if it has a tool for that - I don't remember anymore), just make sure you don't wipe your Windows partition off the drive. After that, yes, you put LILO or Grub on your MBR and you'll be able to boot either OS.

"Let the gremlins eat your soul... it's invigorating." --LD
xoomix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual-Booting (Just making Sure) Reply with quote

Juggalo wrote:
Okay, so right now I have Windows XP Pro installed on this box. I want to install Slackware 10.2. I've installed both OSs individually on this drive, but I've never dual-booted. From my understanding, dual-booting isn't that different: Leave the Windows partition alone, and install Slackware like I normally would. Install LILO to the MBR and it will automatically recognize Windows, and give me the option to boot both OSs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, which partition would I make active?

(Posted this here because this forum's very active, and I need an answer quick. Sorry if it's not allowed)

What you said is correct - that will work - you don't need to mark any partitions with any flags for it to work. Lilo or GRUB will boot the OS just fine. Just make sure you used the advanced menus when you install Slack so that you can see what it is doing in the bootloader/mbr scheme of things.
Juggalo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both very much ( :
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you are looking for a good partitioner, there is a LiveCD called GParted and it's pretty much the safest partitioning software that I have ever used. It has never caused me to lose data when shrinking a partition nor has it ever caused any other problems.
Juggalo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, already re-sized with Partition Magic.

Do I want to add NTFS to /etc/fstab?

EDIT: Okay, I said no to that because I didn't fully understand it... but now I think I do, and it was a bad choice because I can't access the internet when booted into Linux (Maybe if it was added to /etc/fstab, my wireless card drivers would be loaded when I booted into Linux?).

So my next question is: Is the above (again) correct? If so I need to modify fstab because I don't want to have to install mad-wifi (Which is a paaaain) just to access the internet.

Thank you in advance for your time.
xoomix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though there's lots you must learn my young Padawan :-) - and I mean that in a joking manner :P

Your /etc/fstab has nothing to do with your internet access whatsoever - it's just a table that tells init what partitions to mount up on what paths and with what permission/control accesses.

In Linux you will most definitely need to build a kernel with driver support for your internet interface hardware, and assign it the proper ip address/netmask/broadcast/gateway info.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: